AI doesn't get extra time and penalties

I'm delighted to be the beneficiary of the stupidity of the AI, but this needs to be sorted for FM09:

League cup semi-final, 2 legs. It's me (Spurs) vs. arch-rivals Chelski.

First leg at the Bridge, they win 2-1.

In the second leg it's 0-0 until the 83rd minute when I get a goal, making it 1-0 on the night, but 2-2 on aggregate.

Immediately Chelski throw on 3 attacking subs and go 4-2-4, not realising that they are tying.

The score stays the same until the 120th minute. I'm dreading the impending penalty shoot-out against the best keeper in the world (at least that's how the game rates Cech).

Chelski get a corner and - 'What's this!' Cech comes bombing up for the corner - the AI assumes Chelski are losing the tie.

Hey-ho, the corner is cleared and my fella does an 'Alonso'; with the last kick of the game thumps the ball from deep in our own half into an empty net!

Sweet, but very very silly.

Sort it out SI! icon_wink.gif

I'm delighted to be the beneficiary of the stupidity of the AI, but this needs to be sorted for FM09:

League cup semi-final, 2 legs. It's me (Spurs) vs. arch-rivals Chelski.

First leg at the Bridge, they win 2-1.

In the second leg it's 0-0 until the 83rd minute when I get a goal, making it 1-0 on the night, but 2-2 on aggregate.

Immediately Chelski throw on 3 attacking subs and go 4-2-4, not realising that they are tying.

The score stays the same until the 120th minute. I'm dreading the impending penalty shoot-out against the best keeper in the world (at least that's how the game rates Cech).

Chelski get a corner and - 'What's this!' Cech comes bombing up for the corner - the AI assumes Chelski are losing the tie.

Hey-ho, the corner is cleared and my fella does an 'Alonso'; with the last kick of the game thumps the ball from deep in our own half into an empty net!

Sweet, but very very silly.

Sort it out SI! icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

Dude, check out the rules.

Leage cup semis - away goals COUNT.

But only after extra time has expired. Chelsea WERE losing, mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct!!

I was going to post a very similar thread, but as this ones open, I'll post it in here.

Basically, I feel the AI has no understanding about the away goal rule. Here's the scene. I'm managing Liverpool and have drawn Chelsea in the CL semi final with the first leg at Stamford Bridge. After going 2-0 down, I level the tie to take a 2-2 draw to Anfield. In the second leg, with about 15 minutes to go the game is 1-1, 3-3 in aggregate with my Liverpool side going through on away goals. Now if it was 1-0, you all know the routine, Chelsea would switch to 4-2-4 and go all out to try and get back into the game. But in this game, nothing. Chelsea never showed any sign of attempting to win the game, despite being on the verge of going out. They seemed happy to sit deep and play for the draw.

Now in the example in the OP, I believe Chelsea were going for the game not because they were going out of the competition on away goals, but because they were losing the individual tie. If this really is the case, then the AI certainly does need improving so that it can see that it is going to go out unless it scores.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

Dude, check out the rules.

Leage cup semis - away goals COUNT.

But only after extra time has expired. Chelsea WERE losing, mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, my bad icon_redface.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now in the example in the OP, I believe Chelsea were going for the game not because they were going out of the competition on away goals, but because they were losing the individual tie. If this really is the case, then the AI certainly does need improving so that it can see that it is going to go out unless it scores. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it's because they were losing on away goals.

As for your other comments, the 4-2-4 thing does not happen 100% of the time. I've seen teams sit back and do little to change things 1-0 down, but I'm surprised they didn't in your case. But this is just one game. If you can show it happening every time then post it in the bugs forum. If not, enjoy your victory. The programming for away goals is fine.

i went behind in my carling cup semi to man city, making it 1-0 on aggregate in the 8th minute of extra time - i had to score twice to go through and thankfully did! if ignashevitch hadnt put through his own net for man city we would have gone out

Archived