Football Manager 2011 and Steam Questoins

Hi all. I've done a quick search and haven't found an exact answer.

I'm thinking of ordering FM2011 from Steam, but just wanted to make sure it'll do what I want it to do. I will mainly be playing it on my mac, but also have a windows laptop for on the go and will be playing online against a mate who runs windows.

If I purchase FM2011 from Steam, will I be able to install it on my mac as well as my windows laptop? Or do I have to purchase it twice?

If I can, does FM work with the steam cloud and my saves will be transferred between my mac and my windows laptop?

Also, will I be able to play online with non steam users and cross platform from my mac to my friends windows pc?

Thanks in advance to whoever knows the answer to these questions!! :)

If you buy FM11 on steam you will be able to play it on your PC and your Mac, just not at the same time obviously.

As far as i know FM09 and FM10 dont use steam cloud so i wouldnt think FM11 would either but you never know.

Steam users can play FM against non steam users, i do this with my mate who had a regular boxed version for both 09 and 10.

Cross platform should work, though im not 100% on that.

Cheers everyone. I'm glad to get some sort of confirmation on that.

If anyone could confirm if when playing on my mac on steam, i can play against my mate on a windows pc (non steam), that'd be great!

They should look into the cloud for the saves, that'd be amazing.

Sorry guys but what is steam cloud

From Wikipedia: "Valve provides a service called Steam Cloud. For supported games, Steam Cloud stores various amounts of game data, such as keyboard shortcut settings and single-player game saves, on a central server. Any changes to relevant game files are uploaded to the main server, and newer files are automatically downloaded and used when a game is started."

Sorry guys but what is steam cloud

i will exemplify :

you have a laptop you login on steam play the game and save it the save game its uploaded to a server in the steam cloud automatically

you login on your steam account on your desktop and the save file you played on your laptop its there on your desktop thanks to the steam cloud

same thing happens if you are at a friends house and want to play fm and continue your save , login on your account install fm if needed and the save is downloaded automatically

steam is the worst thing ever for me

sure thing pall let me guess you don't understand jack about computers and don't bother trying to learn new things?

i tough so

I think the saves are rather big for Steam Cloud. I think the game I have that use cloud store a few hundred kb's, but FM saves are tens of megabytes, each. The saving time would take a very long time, considering that bigger upload rates have not yet spread to every household.

It will be available on Steam the day of release. The issue some people had last time was a) the Steam servers being very busy and b) downloading the first patch through steam and then trying to start a new game without actually restarting FM.

Not much can be done about busy download servers.

Appologies if this has already been asked and answered.

I was just wondering if all the logos, kits, player faces (although I'm sure there will be an updated pack with new players being at new clubs) and skins that I have downloaded for my FM2010 will work on FM2011. Just that I'd hate to think I'd have to download it all again specifically for FM2011. I'm presuming that the graphics folder that FM2010 uses can just me moved or copied over to a graphics folder in FM2011?

Can anyone let me know on this.

I was just wondering if all the logos, kits, player faces (although I'm sure there will be an updated pack with new players being at new clubs) and skins that I have downloaded for my FM2010 will work on FM2011. Just that I'd hate to think I'd have to download it all again specifically for FM2011. I'm presuming that the graphics folder that FM2010 uses can just me moved or copied over to a graphics folder in FM2011?

The obvious answer to me is that you get the normal retail package when you download it from Steam. So whatever is on the disk, is what you get through Steam. Then whenever there is an update released this will automatically be applied and downloaded when you launch Steam.

One question this raises for me though is, will you be able to play around with the files in FM like you would normally, adding your own badges and faces and any edits? Also, would the Steam version include the editor?

The answer is probably not, the unique IDs of most players are probably going to change which will make the wrong face appear on the wrong player profile.

Steams version of FM is the same as the retail version.

If something works for those who buy the game from the stores, then it will work for those who bought it on steam.

The only people who have trouble with steam are the same people who have trouble with anything beyond turning their computer on and off.

Skins for FM2010 won't work on FM2011. The other graphics should work unless there are any major changes which we'll find out with the demo.

Skins for FM2010 won't work on FM2011. The other graphics should work unless there are any major changes which we'll find out with the demo.

Thanks Michael. Not so much bothered about the skins really cos I only have a couple of those, but was more concerned about the logos, kits and faces as I have downloaded a lot and done a lot myself and would be a bit of a pain to have to download them all again and do them again as well.

There isn't any major changes, Miles told me that all the unique ids for players in FM11 would be the same as in FM10 unless a player had to be deleted and put back in the game, which they didn't have to do a lot.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived