Developing New Rivals

Is this possible? I played a game for many seasons and managed to get the team promoted from the BSS to Premiership. The thing was was all my rivals were local teams that were still down in the depths of football obscurity.

If its not possible then I think it would be a great feature to put into FM 2012. (bit too late for FM 11 i think)

Exactly. It would help to add a little more realism (Although Oxford and in my case Worcester City in the prem isnt really realistic :p) but still, would be great.

Maybe it could be judged on a bad relationship you and another long serving manager have; the amount of games you have played e.g. a lot in the cups/league or maybe if you are winning the premier league or are favourites most seasons then the teams expected to come 2nd or 3rd each year could be rivals

But then again geographical based rivals can change over years, would still be a rival but might not be as strong.

Promotions and relegations change rivalries even for geographical based ones. In my Fleetwood town save. I was in a league with Blackpool and Preston for a couple of seasons, these in real life would be local derbies but since rivalries don't change they weren't classed as that and wish they were

Like the idea.

Taking the Fleetwood example - no rivalry exists with either Blackpool/Preston but over a period of time (playing each other on a regular basis) some sort of rivalry would grow - at first it wouldn't be in the "fierce" category but I'm sure over time it could get that way, particularly if you play them over a sustained period of time.

Title rivalries should be even easier to implement, based on table position and such over a few seasons.

Yes, this does happen in real life and would be nice if it happend in FM as well. Many teams form rivalries with each other after multiple seasons of battling for the championship. Meanwhle, geographical rivalries also fade as one club loses it's reputation and stature. I know many cases where a city would have two clubs with very high reputations throughout the 20s, 30s, and 40s for example. But somewhere along the way one of those clubs lost it's stature and today has only maybe a regional reputation while the other grew and today has Continental reputation.

While the smaller club may still view the bigger one as a rival, it doesn't go the other way around anymore. The bigger one now has one or two other clubs that it considers it's rivals. This would be a very realistic feature to have in FM...but just like dynamic league reputations it would have to change very slowly overtime if at all.

I've seen this idea mentioned before a few times and it is something that should be in the game even though i thought it was. I'm sure that Everton was a rival of mine at Man Utd on FM08 after myself and David Moyes exchanged words over a few seasons and had some good battles. I saw that they had been added under rivals and then once they stopped competing for trophies with me it was removed. I've seen people saying that SI have confirmed this is not in the game but I have seen it happen so i hope this is something they have worked on for FM11.

Good idea. If you look at Chelsea's rivals, Barcelona are listed stemming no doubt from a couple of fiery clashes in the Champions League over the last few seasons.

It should be possible in FM to develop new rivalries through success. Geographical rivalries should maybe be listed as 'derbys' in the game

Why do you Brits hate Leeds so much?

It probably stems from the era of "Dirty Leeds" (1968-1974), when no one liked them because they played dirty and kicked their way to winning the league title and dominating the English game for a while (watch the movie The Damned United for an insight into how Leeds were portrayed). Also Leeds (like many other clubs) also had an element of fans who were notorious hooligans throughout the 70's and 80's - this also added to the hatred other clubs' fans had for them.

Thing is, most rivalries are cultivated over decades or even an entire century, you would expect new rivals to take at least a decade or two to firmly establish.

Don't really agree....Man Utd and Chelsea didn't really used to be rivals until Abramovic turned up with all his millions, and now they're probably one of United's main rivals behind City, Liverpool and Leeds. Rivalry comes from competing with teams for success really. That develop over about 5 years? Ishh

It's a great point, I'm San Marino in Serie A and all my rivals are either in Serie C2 or Serie D or lower, makes no sense anymore. No rivalry games, quite sad :(

I agree, this should be added to the game ASAP, cause in my Hull City save, me and Man City are always competing in finals of each competition and I myself have built up a grudge against them just from that save, same goes with Wolves, they have caused some upsets against my team!

I really want to see this added into the game.

To be honest, I'd consider Celtic the main rival for my St Mirren side, mostly because they've been the only good competition during the last 16 league wins :p. If dynamic rivalry came in, I'd want it to make them a rival.

Thing is, most rivalries are cultivated over decades or even an entire century, you would expect new rivals to take at least a decade or two to firmly establish.

Cardiff and Leeds rivalry developed just after one game, so this statement isn't correct.

I dunno though. Middlesbrough have been in different divisions to Sunderland & Newcastle for years prior to 1990, and even after nearly 20 years of EPL, and all three of us being in and around there, Newcastle and Sunderland still don't see us as rivals. Depends where you are - it does take years, and sometimes random incidents.

Archived