Brazil manager fired in the middle of the world cup

This was an interesting development. I was playing my first season with wigan and keeping an eye on the world cup. brazil was drawn with denmark, cameroon and australia. they was fortunate to escape with a nil-nil draw w/australia in their first game, won 1-0 on a 86th min strike from robinho in the 2nd game and drew with denmark 1-1 in the third game. that was enough to just scrape by into the knockout rounds. however, immediately after the group stage dunga was fired and the team actually went into the 2nd round without a manager, still managing a win, on penalty kicks, against a strong paraguay side. 2 days later, tite was hired. all of a sudden, brazil found their form and ultimately ended up winning the world cup (absolutely crushing greece(!) in the final 4-0).

i thought it was kind of interesting that a team would dismiss their manager in the midst of the world cup. i dont think ive seen that before. i dont think its entirely unreasonable, given the expectations for the team, but quite remarkable nonetheless. certainly, it worked out for the best. if i hadnt been paying attention to the WC, i may have missed this entirely. the only news item was that "brazil was in search of a new manager." can you imagine this happening in real life, and the news it would generate? ive always been hopeful that the game would have more intelligent (and varied) news engine, as this bit certainly warranted that kind of coverage.

has anyone seen this sort of thing happen before?

Archived