Save Game Importation

Hello all,

a feature I'm very interested in seeing for FM2011 is the ability to import save-files from one game to the next edition. FM games evolve, and I think that they should be able to take save games into account; think of what BioWare is doing with Mass Effect for example. Having to start over every year is never something I look forward to. I don't mind at all that many, if not all the playing staff and coaching staff-types are regens. I've built up the club from a very amateur level to becoming a world beater, so if the new game is able to convert the old database into a new one compatible with the new features, I'd be thrilled!

Hello all,

a feature I'm very interested in seeing for FM2011 is the ability to import save-files from one game to the next edition. FM games evolve, and I think that they should be able to take save games into account; think of what BioWare is doing with Mass Effect for example. Having to start over every year is never something I look forward to. I don't mind at all that many, if not all the playing staff and coaching staff-types are regens. I've built up the club from a very amateur level to becoming a world beater, so if the new game is able to convert the old database into a new one compatible with the new features, I'd be thrilled!

That has been suggested in the past. Guys from SI said that it's a very difficult thing to do and we shouldn't expect that to be implemented in the near future.

All Mass Effect 2 was doing was importing your character and a few key decisions from ME1 - I could see something like this being relatively easy to do in FM, so you'd retain your personal details, maybe your management history, your favoured players (if they are still in the database), your acheivements etc, but you wouldn't actually carry on at the same club with the same players, it would just be like creating a new game with an existing set of details. Whether that would be of interest to anyone, I don't know.

Maybe they'll have to approach this in a step-by-step fashion. Surely, they'll be able to create a system that'll be able to copy the players/staff/club -and facilities/manager status in the world (values/stats) for your current club and simply copy & paste that information so that it is over-written in the new database.

When I import my save to FM2011, the game reads this information; Aha, he's controlling Murcia. Then it simply copies the information it is able to draw from my 2010-save and over-writes it in the FM2011 database. If it always starts on a new season, instead of mid-season or wherever you left the game in 2010; I'm not able to see the main obstacles this will create for FM2011.

Hence; This will be a way simpler thing if your save is so far into the game, like year 2040+ (like my save) so that all the current players and most staff are retired; It won't ruin the whole updated roster with today's current players. You won't see the conflict that Messi is in two teams for example, because the player has retired in your imported save. The team you import is a regen team, which will over-write the team following the FM2011 database. Like I said in my previous post, we all know that the FM series is an evolution of games. I'm not doubting the complexity of a total importation and the impacts it might have on FM2011; I'm just still hoping that they could look at more angles of approaching the issue.

Archived