This is why I love FM

Europa League Group Stage vs Lazio

Good to know that I have a wide variety of players available to me. I should mention that at least seven of the players ineligible/injured start regularly for me when fit. Four of the injuries are still over a month away from returning and three of those have been for longer than three months.

What would FM be without injuries and ineligibilities, and playing one fit substitute with a striker in midfield and a right back in defensive midfield in an Europa League game against Lazio?

We lost 4-0. I wasn't too fussed though, we beat Lazio 1-0 at home in a ridiculous match and ended up qualifying from the group with Celtic ahead of both Lazio and H-Tel Aviv. This was our first year that we had made it past the Third Qualifying Stage of the Europa League though, and for a small club in Northern Ireland who can't even win the league it isn't a bad effort, I feel. :p

There's only 22 players in your first team there, and 3 are unregistered so you're operating with just 19 registered players for a competition? All european competitions allow you to register 25 players, if you had another 6 players registered you'd have had a starting 11, 7 subs and a player not in the matchday squad. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you were sort of asking for it, especially given that you can have an infinant amount of u21's who are elligible for your squad. Personally I go with 25 registered players over 21 and 4/5 u21's who are being developed, gives me a squad size of 29/30 all of whom can play; 6 injuries in a squad that size would be nothing worth batting an eyelid at in terms of being able to field a full team of players.

With such a small squad though, no wonder you will struggle in the league, the NI leagues have quite a lot of games if I remember - that few players can't be expected to be fit and firing on all cylinders through such a long campaign. Beef up your squad a bit, free signings, loan signings etc and you will probably have a lot more success in that league :p Should be countless English sides you can loan youngsters from who will be elligible to play in the european competitions incase of injuries too.

With such a small squad though, no wonder you will struggle in the league, the NI leagues have quite a lot of games if I remember - that few players can't be expected to be fit and firing on all cylinders through such a long campaign.

I remember experiencing similar problems when managing in NI. The league/cup structure just isn't designed to cope with clubs reaching the latter stages of European competitions. You really do need a big squad to cope with it, or maybe even two squads, one for domestic cups and one for the league/Europe. The fixture pileups you will experience should you make the latter stages are hard to cope with if you have such a small squad.

Archived