Season Expectations How do we define the difference between Mid table and Top Half?

Start of season and the board want us to achieve the minimum of Mid Table in the English Premier League. Now I feel that we can finish somewhere between 8th-11th, however how do we exactly split the league up between Avoid Relegation, Mid Table, Top Half?

I am guessing it would be something like this seeing how their are 20 teams competing in the league:

Avoid Relegation - 1st-17th

Mid Table - 8th-13th (7 top teams, 6 middle teams, 7 bottom teams)

Top Half - 1st-10th

Continental Qualification - 1st-7th

Would this be correct or does someone know exactly what it is?

Start of season and the board want us to achieve the minimum of Mid Table in the English Premier League. Now I feel that we can finish somewhere between 8th-11th, however how do we exactly split the league up between Avoid Relegation, Mid Table, Top Half?

I am guessing it would be something like this seeing how their are 20 teams competing in the league:

Avoid Relegation - 1st-17th

Mid Table - 8th-13th (7 top teams, 6 middle teams, 7 bottom teams)

Top Half - 1st-10th

Continental Qualification - 1st-7th

Would this be correct or does someone know exactly what it is?

This sounds spot on but from past experience I believe its something like this

------------------------- Mid Table

This sounds spot on but from past experience I believe its something like this

I would agree with this.

I was thinking along these lines earlier. Say you tell your board you will challenge for the title, and you only finish 3 points behind the winner and it goes to the last game, that to me is a title challenge.

Now say its the same thing but you get to the last game and finish 3 points behind the league winners but you end up finishing 6th because of points/goal difference. Would your board in the game recognize this as a title challenge given that upto the least game you still could have won the league and finished only 3 points behind the winner, or would they just see your final position of 6th and sack you?

I would agree with this.

I was thinking along these lines earlier. Say you tell your board you will challenge for the title, and you only finish 3 points behind the winner and it goes to the last game, that to me is a title challenge.

Now say its the same thing but you get to the last game and finish 3 points behind the league winners but you end up finishing 6th because of points/goal difference. Would your board in the game recognize this as a title challenge given that upto the least game you still could have won the league and finished only 3 points behind the winner, or would they just see your final position of 6th and sack you?

I once took charge of a highly ambitious Genoa side in around 2030. Basically they had won the league the previous 4 years and the past two Champions Leagues.

The league was extremely tight going into the last game and I was 3rd, a point off top and 3 points off 7. I ended up losing the game 1-0 to Sampdoria and finished 7th missing out completely on Champions League football. The league was unusually tight, something like the Bundesliga in recent years. I never got sacked though, even though I got knocked out off the Champions League in the 2nd round to Standard Liege. I'm unsure whether I rode my luck or the board was extremely forgiving but that's my only example and evidence.

I left after 4 very unsuccesful years in which I turned Italys most succesful team in recent years to Mid-Table candidates. :( What a great journeyman career that was.

Archived