Classic Work Permit Conundrum

I made the classic oversight of signing a foreign player, in this instance an Algerian, without really considering his eligability for a work permit. It was swiftly rejected when he joined, but as I have a foreign feeder side I loaned him out to them. However, I am confident that since then he now should meet all requirements for a work permit: Algeria have played 5 matches over the last year, of which I know he has played in 4 and so has met the need to play in 75%. Algeria are also firmly established in the top 70 of the world so that shouldn't be an issue either.

However, when I offer him a new contract his work permit application is still denied and I become increasingly out of pocket!

I could leave him festering in my feeder club for a few years until he qualifies by residency, but he is far too good for that level and I'm sure will get antsy. Has anyone been in a similiar position and so can advise me on how to sort him out with the papers?

Thanks.

I am confident that since then he now should meet all requirements for a work permit: Algeria have played 5 matches over the last year, of which I know he has played in 4 and so has met the need to play in 75%.

I think it is 75% of the competitive (ie. no friendlies) over the last two years, so he may be close.

The good thing is he is out on loan, so he won't be going without games but the best thing you can do is just keep trying with the new contracts.

Archived