BSS to Prem in a year

In my current game I set my starting reputation as Sunday League Footballer and started the game unemployed. I quickly joined Worcester in the Blue Square South who were tipped for relegation. This season so far I finished just behind the league winners and am about to play in the playoffs. So I have done very well so far. My reputation is unproven but my description lists me as a talented manager. Throughout the course of the season I have been linked with many jobs as far up as league 1, but have never been the favourite to get the job and have never been approached. Just now I got a message saying Portsmouth have sacked Grant and that I am the most likely candidate for the job... they have just been relegated to the Championship but still!? A bit unrealistic? An unknown manager has 1 good season with a BSS team and becomes the best candidate for a relegated premiership side? Not sure whether to take the job as I'd have prefered to work my way up steadily.

What's the most unrealistic job offer you've had?

Been playing with Market Drayton in 1st Div. and got an offer from Blackburn Rovers after my first season ended. Now, some years and a back to back promotion later, we were on a run to finish safely mid-table in BSP when I got offered the Arsenal job after Arsene Wenger retired. edit: forgot to say, my past experience was professional footballer.

I am actually quite interested in this topic, also because I'd like to ask a question about those messages. Will it raise my chances for actually getting the job offer I'm currently favorite for if I respond positively, instead of declining interest or responding with no comment (or not responding at all, by continuing)? I know that the latter two produce a nice positive mail from my chairman, but it doesn't affect anything in my club, or does it?

The unrealistic job offers happen when you choose a high past experience and start in a low league. What you are doing is giving yourself the necessary reputation to manage at the top level without actually earning it throughout your career.

Ideally if you are starting in the lower leagues then you should choose a past experience like sunday league footballer, which would put you in line with the other managers at that level and stop you being linked with silly jobs.

I am half way through season 2 and managed to get Farsley to 2nd in the BSN after getting midtable last season. My rep has gone from unproven to regional and my description is talented manager. I knew about the flaws of auto rep so I put sunday league. Had to comment on me being favourtie for the qpr job (20th CH). Bit unrealistic and didn't think I deserved it so I declined to comment

If you start as Sunday league and get a promotion against the odds, and turn some heads with some big wins then why not get quickly touted as talented.

If the odds are against you, so on paper your team should lose and they dont, then obviously in the medias eyes you are making the differernce, and will quickly get picked up.

Also a Good cup run as a lower league club will draw the media spotlight, so a BSN getting to 4th or 5th round will again quite rightly move you up the managerial ladder a few notches

In my current game I set my starting reputation as Sunday League Footballer and started the game unemployed. I quickly joined Worcester in the Blue Square South who were tipped for relegation. This season so far I finished just behind the league winners and am about to play in the playoffs. So I have done very well so far. My reputation is unproven but my description lists me as a talented manager. Throughout the course of the season I have been linked with many jobs as far up as league 1, but have never been the favourite to get the job and have never been approached. Just now I got a message saying Portsmouth have sacked Grant and that I am the most likely candidate for the job... they have just been relegated to the Championship but still!? A bit unrealistic? An unknown manager has 1 good season with a BSS team and becomes the best candidate for a relegated premiership side? Not sure whether to take the job as I'd have prefered to work my way up steadily.

What's the most unrealistic job offer you've had?

So you've not actually been offered the job then? Might have wanted to wait until that happened before starting a thread based what was just in-game specualtion by the media.

its not very common but managers have gone up a few divisions at once. Nigel Clough comes to my mind. Burton Albion (BSP) - Derby County (Championship)

Yeah but he was at Burton for 10 years, not in his first season as the OP was and also Cloughs reputation wouldn't have been Sunday league footballer as the OP's was (although the OP never was actually offered the job).

its not very common but managers have gone up a few divisions at once. Nigel Clough comes to my mind. Burton Albion (BSP) - Derby County (Championship)

He was also a bit of a legacy right. I mean his father was a legend there as a manager.

The unrealistic job offers happen when you choose a high past experience and start in a low league. What you are doing is giving yourself the necessary reputation to manage at the top level without actually earning it throughout your career.

Ideally if you are starting in the lower leagues then you should choose a past experience like sunday league footballer, which would put you in line with the other managers at that level and stop you being linked with silly jobs.

But "professional footballer" shouldn't mean "high reputation". I mean, c'mon, someone who's spent 15 years playing in league 2 is a pro footballer.

But "professional footballer" shouldn't mean "high reputation". I mean, c'mon, someone who's spent 15 years playing in league 2 is a pro footballer.

I agree with your point, but 'professional footballer' is a pretty broad term, the reputation it gives you seems to suggest you were a top flight player who is well known.

I think in the list of options you get it appears second, which should be a clue that it will give you a pretty high reputation.

Archived