Transfer policies

Do you players buy players and fit the formation to them or do you buy players that suit a strict formation that you play? Like say you usually play 4-4-2 but you bought an attacking midfielder and so you change the formation to 4-3-1-2 to suit the attacking midfielder.

I for one, play a 4-5-1 formation with 2 central midfielders and 3 central attacking midfielders and a lone striker. I only buy players that suit my formation so I've never bought a defensive midfielder or wingers before. And plus cause of the quick passing game i play, i only buy those with good passing and technical stats.

What about the rest of you?

i used to buy a player and try and fit them in my formation but it doesnt work. for example on fm09 i think i brought Rafael Van der Vaart and i tried to play him as a centre mid and and an attacking mid but he was to good. hes ratings were bad. now i try to find players to fit my formations and tactics. i also try not to spend to much as well.

Usually I'll get a player who fits what I want to do but since I never play at big clubs you come across situations where you spotted someone who is available for cheap/free and is clearly too good not to sign.

He might not fit in to the exact system you're playing but you would be silly to pass on him so you have to make some changes.

I'll look for players that can fit into my squad and the formation/set-up I play primarily (usually a 4-3-3), but having someone that offers something different such as me buying a winger that you could then throw on to try and change the course of a game is never a bad thing.

I usually look to sign players to fit into my formation, but not necessarily the exact role as the player in the team for example I had Kenwyne Jones (Target Man) up front and signed Michael Owen (Poacher). I would, as previously mentioned adjust my formation if I was able to sign a marquee player such as Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka etc

I won't make a massive change to accommodate anyone into my squad, but it's good to tweak a successful system most summers anyway imo. Also, having players who fulfil slightly different roles is pretty important so it's never bad to have a range of roles in your squad.

I usually play with middling clubs or good clubs from a lower league. The first season or two, I try to buy the best players I can without over loading one position. I then build a tactic to suit the team that I have and after promotion or when I start getting larger transfer funds, I start buying players that suit my tactic. I don't necessarily buy players that fit the exact player role but I won't buy any wingers if I'm player 4-3-1-2. I don't use one tactic through all of my saves as I find that to be boring.

I also try to keep it realistic as far as transfers go. For example with Braga, I've been buying mostly Brazilian, Portuguese and Argentinean youngsters as with the real life teams. With Birmingham, I bought mostly British players with two or three EU Nationals a season and concentrated my tactic and transfers on defense to reflect last season.

Archived