Work Permit failed but not allowed to appeal (scout said would work on appeal)

I am playing as Blackpool in the Prem and had my scout report on a player from South America for me. He informed me that the guy was a gem and although his work permit would initially fail upon appeal it would be granted. So I splashed out the cash £3.9m for this young striker only to be informed that the contract had failed (haven't had a chance to appeal) but I could sign him and loan him out (I have a feeder club in Belgium). Now this is all being well but at no point was I allowed to appeal and now I have to wait 3 years until this guy becomes a Belgian national before I can have him in my side! Can anyone explain to me a work around this issue or is it a known bug? Before in the past when I have had work permits fail, I have always had the opportunity to appeal and usually if they are top class their permits are usually granted.

I would go further to add that I had actually signed 4 foreigners all youngsters who had their permits fail and for each of them I did not have any chance to appeal. I am not so bothered about these other youngsters but splashing out £3.9m on a player I cannot play is annoying as I could have easily purchased one of my other targets.

I am playing as Blackpool in the Prem and had my scout report on a player from South America for me. He informed me that the guy was a gem and although his work permit would initially fail upon appeal it would be granted. So I splashed out the cash £3.9m for this young striker only to be informed that the contract had failed (haven't had a chance to appeal) but I could sign him and loan him out (I have a feeder club in Belgium). Now this is all being well but at no point was I allowed to appeal and now I have to wait 3 years until this guy becomes a Belgian national before I can have him in my side! Can anyone explain to me a work around this issue or is it a known bug? Before in the past when I have had work permits fail, I have always had the opportunity to appeal and usually if they are top class their permits are usually granted.

I would go further to add that I had actually signed 4 foreigners all youngsters who had their permits fail and for each of them I did not have any chance to appeal. I am not so bothered about these other youngsters but splashing out £3.9m on a player I cannot play is annoying as I could have easily purchased one of my other targets.

it happens. ive just had the same thing except my transfer didnt go through.

Yeh, its because you were so close to the deadline. If it had been earlier, you would have had the option to appeal first.

Damn it! So I now have to wait 3 years until I can play him and by then he will be 21. I wanted his youth years to develop him. How many years does he have to play 75% International matches for him to qualify for a permit?

Damn it! So I now have to wait 3 years until I can play him and by then he will be 21.

Not really. When it comes around to the July transfer window, try offering him a new contract - since you have to apply for a renewal of the work permit for a new contract. :)

If I didn't have this Belgian feeder club then i would have been able to appeal.

I think you mean if you didn't have the Belgian feeder club then you wouldn't be able to appeal because the transfer would have been cancelled at that point. You should also remember that although your sending him to Belgium with the intention of gaining nationality there is no guarantee that he will get it or even apply for it and there is nothing you can do to persuade\force him to do so. Perhaps the ability to do this is something that can be added to fm11.

I think you mean if you didn't have the Belgian feeder club then you wouldn't be able to appeal because the transfer would have been cancelled at that point. You should also remember that although your sending him to Belgium with the intention of gaining nationality there is no guarantee that he will get it or even apply for it and there is nothing you can do to persuade\force him to do so. Perhaps the ability to do this is something that can be added to fm11.

I offered him a new contract (greedy sod wanted extra £2k) he accepted and I didn't even have the opportunity to appeal the WP. I offered this contract whilst he is currently on loan at that Belgian side. Now with what you're saying that he may not even gain nationality this is quite simply turning in to a disaster signing! I think it will be probably best for me to sell him. The alternative could be that he plays in 75% of International matches (what time frame is this? is it inside 1 year?) and then even if he does achieve this how do I apply for a work permit for him?

This is the first time I have found myself in this situation and it certainly is frustrating!

Just found the rules for work permits.

nitial applications

To be eligible for a work permit:

* a player must have played for his country in at least 75% of its competitive 'A' team matches he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application; and

* the player's country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings when averaged over the two years preceding the date of the application.

Competitive matches

The definition of a competitive 'A' team international match is a:

* World Cup Finals game;

* World Cup Qualifying group game; and

* Football Association confederation tournament game, for example:

o The FIFA Confederations Cup;

o Tthe UEFA European Championships and Qualifiers;

o The African Cup of Nations and Qualifiers;

o The Asia Nations Cup and Qualifiers;

o The CONCACAF Gold Cup;

o The CONCACAF The Copa Caribe;

o The CONMEBOL Copa America;

o The OFC Nations Cup and

o The UNCAF Nations Cup

Those rules are for the original application not the appeal. The appeal is down to the discretion of the home office but basically boils down to: is there anybody who is already in the country who can do the job? Just like it would be if you were applying for a work permit for a doctor or any other job.

Archived