iPhone 4 retina graphics

• SI Staff

Updating the graphics for the retina display isn't a 'minor' update I'm afraid as the game isn't an 'action' game where you can simply throw in some high definition sprites, to support the high resolution display I have to reformat the layout of each page slightly and resize the text etc. in order to support the new resolution.

(so I'm afraid it'll have to wait for a future version - no eta at present)

• SI Staff
If you do this what will happen to backdated iPhones?

I'll code it so that it supports both resolutions don't worry Dec, it'll detect the type of phone active and render accordingly.

Have to say i'm extremely disappointed with this stance. I've bought every football manager series for the last 10 years and am a big fan of the series. Most other games with pricetags less than fm10 in the appstore have updated their games for multitasking and iphone 4 retina display. Lazy developers is all it is imo.

• SI Staff
Have to say i'm extremely disappointed with this stance. I've bought every football manager series for the last 10 years and am a big fan of the series. Most other games with pricetags less than fm10 in the appstore have updated their games for multitasking and iphone 4 retina display. Lazy developers is all it is imo.

As I attempted to explain earlier in the thread there is a large difference between changing the resolution of a simple application or an 'action' game to updating the resolution of a football management game.

When updating an arcade title the code can remain largely unchanged and its just a matter of updating the graphics being drawn, with FMHi 2010 however it means changing the layout of the entire page because if I re-render with larger graphics purely then the text will look tiny and be harder to read.

There are literally hundreds of pages in a football management game so even if I manage to blast through things at a page per day then thats a few months work - a large enough period of time which would obviously seriously delay the release of FMHi 2011.

azy developers is all it is imo.

Please bear in mind I'm the only full-time developer working on the iPhone game, I work 60 hours a week on average and unfortunately thats my physical 'limit' (I also have a wife and kids and strangely they do appreciate seeing me around now and again ;) ).

When you're developing a game 'solo' you have to make some hard decisions with regards to what you concentrate your time upon, unfortunately this does mean sometimes making choices like leaving support for things like the Retina display out until it is practical to be undertaken (ditto with making an iPad version of the game tbh, I'd love to have released one already - just haven't had time to make one yet).

PS - Please note the comments I made in earlier posts in this thread were purely about the retina display, multi-tasking support will be present before this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the Iphone 4 screen bigger then?

Marc, couldnt it be possible to update logos for FMHi like add the new Morecambe, Chesterfield and Cheltenham logos? Also on FMHi 2011 can you please put larger logos in for squad screen than them little mini things.

• SI Staff
Is the Iphone 4 screen bigger then?

Its not physically bigger - but its got smaller pixels and thus a higher resolution.

Marc, couldnt it be possible to update logos for FMHi like add the new Morecambe, Chesterfield and Cheltenham logos? Also on FMHi 2011 can you please put larger logos in for squad screen than them little mini things.

These will be updated for FMHi 2011 - I'm afraid I don't have the updated logo's to hand for any clubs at present.

I'll consider trying to put slightly larger logos in certain places HOWEVER do bear in mind that this would make the games install/download larger so its a balancing act.

• SI Staff
Marc, I'd just like to say that I appreciate all the work you do. To me, FMHi 2010 looks great on my iPhone 4. It's also super fast--going from playing it on my old 3G to the 4 was a revelation.

Thanks for the kind words.

I've actually just recently (well yesterday actually :D) got an iPhone 4 myself and I'm really pleased with how the game looks upon it .... I'm also like you amazed at the speed of it generally :D

These will be updated for FMHi 2011 - I'm afraid I don't have the updated logo's to hand for any clubs at present.

Marc, I could give you the logos that have been updated in the size for FMHi if you wish and maybe you could release a mini update for new logos only and maybe some minor bug fixes idk. If so whats the size of logos fo fmhi

• SI Staff
Marc, I could give you the logos that have been updated in the size for FMHi if you wish and maybe you could release a mini update for new logos only and maybe some minor bug fixes idk. If so whats the size of logos fo fmhi

Thanks for the offer - but so you're aware we can only use logo's from clubs which are licenced and in those cases the clubs involved have to supply and approve all lgoos, as such its not quite as simply as just obtaining a collection of logo's to place in the game (and rather long-winded to undertake).

Archived