Help! Best way to make player lower his wages?

1 of my star defender is taking home 160k per wk. The previous manager gave him that huge contract with 2 years to run. I tried to offer him a new contract with lower wages but he won't take it lol. i want to keep him since he is my best CB but i want to trim the wage bill too. is there a good way to resolve this?

The short answer is no. The long answer is that you can work on him over a period of time and perhaps get a reduction in salary. Get him to like you. Different approaches work best on different personalities so there's no sure-fire cookie-cutter strategy. But if you can get on his favored personnel list, make the club his favorite club and then offer him a new, longer contract when his morale is Superb, you'll have the best chance of success. Remember, though, that some players will never accept a reduced salary.

players will accept a lower salary depending on a number of things. He will reduce his wage, well be more likely too, when his contract is running down. Unfortunately there isnt alot you can do now. Your best bet is to trim your reserves to free up some cash.

Generally nearing the end of contract, if he’s older, or playing less and less games per season. Perhaps lowering his squad status, but that risks upsetting him, and not even being able to offer a new contract. Just trim and ship out players you don’t need, as there’s not much you can do with this player at the moment. You can certainly find a better player than him for less wages though, just a thought. :)

edit; maybe you can compensate the reduction in wages by offering more playing incentives, such as appearance and goal bonuses, a larger signing on fee etc .. Apart from that, I don’t think I’ll be much more help. :)

thanks fellas. I will try the suggestions.

I am in his favouerd list but it didn't seem to affect anything. i dropped him from key to first team status and he was slighted. seems like the only certain way is to sell him. he is such a rock though. i blame rafa :)

was just in the middle of telling you not to drop his status etc as thats never going to work. 99% of the time the favoured personelle does nothing in regards to wages either.

you could, as gandy, suggested try and buffer it in other ways

cheers, he is considering his options but i think he will get over it. i'm gonna try 1 last time before selling. 160k is crazy wage demand even for a world class CB

not really to be honest. He may be requesting parody with another player. If he is world class then 160 isnt obscene, i have seen players on 200k a week. If he is as good as you say id cut other areas, im sure you are getting good crowds in etc so i dont really see you going broke over one wage. If you need a bigger wage budget ask for one, or adjust it with your transfer budget

not really to be honest. He may be requesting parody with another player. If he is world class then 160 isnt obscene, i have seen players on 200k a week. If he is as good as you say id cut other areas, im sure you are getting good crowds in etc so i dont really see you going broke over one wage. If you need a bigger wage budget ask for one, or adjust it with your transfer budget

nah he is the highest paid guy in the squad. 30k more than my legendary stiker Torres. 1 of my other CBs is requesting doubling of his wages now to 120k/wk, i'm not gonna let this spiral out of control. plus, maybe its a pet peeve of mine but i don't like my defenders to be earning that much.

Basically everythin that has been said above - lets face it if you are working, would you accept a wage drop - not likely, so the footballers will not unless they move to a new club.

When they are older and nearing the end of their football careers, they will ask for less wages.

Wait until the 28th of december (Just over 6 months before his contract expires) before offering him a new deal. That way he will ask for a lot less, from experience :)

If he doesn't make up his mind by the 1st of Jan other clubs might offer him deals on an 'end of contract' basis.

So there is a risk of losing him on a free transfer.

Archived