Backroom Advice Meeting: Scout Nation

Hi all :)

I recently started a game as Athletic Bilbao in Spain. Many of you will be aware of the fact they can only sign Basque players.

When ever I hold a Backroom Advice Meeting, I keep getting suggestions to scout different nations, Italy and Germany being the last two recommended.

What benefit would I get from scouting these nations seen as I will not be able to sign any players from them?

Thanks in advance :thup:

Sounds to me like it's just a lack of situational awareness from the AI. Kind of like when you start with a lower-league team who has no staff or players (like Kildare County at the start of some games), and the press conference keeps asking cookie-cutter questions as if you had players or staff.

Maybe it's just like it has to be,the game doesn't make any difference between A team to B team or whether they have some own rules.

After all,this Basuqe transfer rule is only coming from the club itself so the game doesn't recognize it as a special club.

I think that's the reason.

I thought the were able to sign non-Spanish players as well. They only have to be Basque if they are Spanish. Unless this rule has changed.

Maybe that's why you are being advised to scout other nations?

I can not sign any Non-Basque players

i think it is a little to do with the AI not picking it up, but there are some players in high leagues that are basque and many people dont know. Almunia for one is Basque but is only thought of as spanish, Del Horno, Arteta, there are a few that alot dont think of.

The question for me is, do they recommend players that are non-Basque?

Xabi Alonso to :). Also Didier Deschamps according to Wikipedia, but they could be a lie aha.

Deschamps was born in Bayonne in France, which is in the Basque region. It covers an area of France.

You can usually tell Spanish Basque players just by their name. For example Xabi is a Basque name. So is anything with a 'tx' 'tz' and usually the letter k in the name is Basque.

Deschamps was born in Bayonne in France, which is in the Basque region. It covers an area of France.

You can usually tell Spanish Basque players just by their name. For example Xabi is a Basque name. So is anything with a 'tx' 'tz' and usually the letter k in the name is Basque.

I failed geography, but that’s interesting :). Why is there a Basque region in France?

I failed geography, but that’s interesting :). Why is there a Basque region in France?

The Basque region is not based on the current 'world map'. In days gone by the Basque region stretched from parts of what is now Spain into parts of what is now France. Simples.

Catalan is spoken in the south of France, though I don't know if Catalonia extends that far.

Nottingham Forest, Gandy, anyone else- look up those two regions on Wikipedia. The Catalans (who have Barcelona as their "capital city") and the Basques (Bilbao) are like the Scotland and Wales to Spain's England (with Madrid being very similar to London in that London is the capital of England and the UK). Those three groups have a long history. It's very interesting.

Catalan is spoken in the south of France, though I don't know if Catalonia extends that far.

Nottingham Forest, Gandy, anyone else- look up those two regions on Wikipedia. The Catalans (who have Barcelona as their "capital city") and the Basques (Bilbao) are like the Scotland and Wales to Spain's England (with Madrid being very similar to London in that London is the capital of England and the UK). Those three groups have a long history. It's very interesting.

Yes it reaches that far. My grandparents are both from Barcelona and i lived there for a good part of my life, the region spreads through France and the borders of Andorra

• Administrators

The issues with Basque teams and scouting is something that we are already aware of in QA, and something we are looking into.

I agree with you entirely that in terms of signing players, scouting (certain) other nations is not all that important for a manager of Athletic and other teams with the Basque-only rule.

However, that said, with Attribute Masking "on", it is still important to scout players and build up a network in order to assess potential opposition.

In this case, it depends on your individual game setup (and will do too, if you want to get the best out of a Basque-only club management game).

• Administrators

I'm perhaps jumping the gun here.

There is no formal rule for the other teams (rather just Athletic), but these teams do have a preference for Basque only players (at least, IRL).

As I said, issues with scouting nations in certain circumstances (not just limited to Basque side Athletic Bibao), are something we are looking into.

Archived