I really hate my board ::

ok, i have taken my local non-league side and the club i actually follow irl from level 9 in the english pyramid ( i downloaded the extended league off here) up to the football league , i have just won league 1 so it's on to the championship next but my ground still only holds it's original capacity of 1500 fans :( despite a few requests to extend the ground i am told the council wont allow it , i just gave them the dreadded ultimatum and they sacked me ! :( ok i know it's tempting fate but come on !! after all i have achieved and all i wanted was to get more fans in , i played in the derbyshire cup final and had about 7000 there ( filled two sides and 1 end ) , ok , the good part is that i saved the game before clicking the dreadded button but it's a bit harsh is it not ?

What do you expect your board to do if the council won't allow stadium expansion? Give them a bung. You saying that you'd quit if they didn't expand the stadium wasn't very clever seeing as though it was impossible to do. Still quite harsh though considering. They should have probably given you a warning or something. Lesson learned me thinks.

Well, it's not an incredibly dim board, rather it's how all other clubs behave as well. With the missing feature "request new stadium" instead of asking for a simple expansion, you as the manager cannot ever influence the board into the task of building a new stadium. Therefore, you can only watch and wait until the board members are getting off their asses and build something bigger for you.

That being said, I've experienced three newly built stadiums with lower league teams in FM10 and each of those was incredibly cheap, but they also only started building those once the team won their promotion to the highest league of the country. All three of those stadiums were between 10k and 15k total attendance and in the end, the most I've paid up front was Euro 250,000 with the rest (usually no more than 5-6m Euro) being financed through the sale of the old stadium, a sponsorship and a building grant. You won't necessarily need a huge bank balance at all and if you're planning on ascending into higher leagues, the loan repayments shouldn't be a big deal either, in my case they were even offset with long term stadium sponsorships.

thanks for all the info guys :) , i am just starting my saved game and about to play my first match in the championship with still only a 1500 capacity :( , i have 1003 season ticket holders so thats almost the ground full :( , guess all i can do is carry on and hope they build something eventually , they are missing out on a lot of revenue though !

HURRAY !!!!!!! :D after just finishing second in the championship my board have finally rewarded me with a new stadium 'weir stadium' will take around 2 years to build but my capacity will increase from the current 1500 to 16749 , i gues my fans will just have to fight over the small amount of tickets for now :rolleyes:

Why is everyone obsessed with money in the bank? A stadium can (and will where league rules dictate a bigger stadium) be built using funds from the sale of the old stadium, sponsorship and loans if the money isn't available.

Exactly right. The bank balance is not the defining variable for whether a new stadium can be built or not. My own board (Cordoba) built a new stadium, whilst having a bank balance of 6 million. They simply sold the old ground, plus loaned 89 million, and used the sum to finance the construction of the new stadium.

It also raises an interesting point regarding ground size and the Football League. As far as I'm aware FL rules state you have to have a certain capacity (it's definitely more than 1,500) if your ground isn't up to scratch within three years (of promotion to the FL) they send you back into non-league. It would mean the board at the club would HAVE to improve the ground or at least provide a ground (groundshare/new ground) that fits the bill.

It also raises an interesting point regarding ground size and the Football League. As far as I'm aware FL rules state you have to have a certain capacity (it's definitely more than 1,500) if your ground isn't up to scratch within three years (of promotion to the FL) they send you back into non-league. It would mean the board at the club would HAVE to improve the ground or at least provide a ground (groundshare/new ground) that fits the bill.

i believe your slightly incorrect. I am positive there is not minimum capacity rules of a stadium, the rule is that the stadium must be all seater for safety reasons

i believe your slightly incorrect. I am positive there is not minimum capacity rules of a stadium, the rule is that the stadium must be all seater for safety reasons

I believe that's the rule in the Premier League, that's not the case with the Football League (certainly League's One and Two) All-seater stadiums are not a necessity in the FL - I support Stevenage, and two of our stands our terraces. Infact quite a few lower league sides have terracing - Aldershot, Accrington, Barnet and Peterborough are other examples.

Why is everyone obsessed with money in the bank? A stadium can (and will where league rules dictate a bigger stadium) be built using funds from the sale of the old stadium, sponsorship and loans if the money isn't available.

Who's obessed? I asked about the balance as it seems odd that a only recently tier 11 team would build a 17,000 seater stadium when previously they only had 1,500 people turning up to their home games. I live near Long Eaton and the place is tiny.

I've won the premiership 3 times and won the europa league ect with Oxford and not got a new stadium in 12 years despite being the 8th richest club in the world which is why i'm asking about money.

exactly right , sale of the old ground etc is paying for my new ground , dave , long eaton has a population of around 45,000 although sadly in real life we only get an average gate of 75 people which is sadly not good , i would imagine it is because we have forest,derby and notts county all within 10 miles and villa,stoke,birmingham,sheff utd ,sheff wed,rotherham etc all within an hour away :( , the rule some have stated about having to have a bigger ground is definately incorrect as i have had 2 seasons in league 2 ,1 in league 1 and 2 in the championship with the club so far , it's only with getting to the premier that my board are building the new ground , however , they have said it will take 2 years so unless i get relegated i have 2 years in the prem with a ground that holds 1500 of which there are only 500 seats and the rest is terracing :( , dunno what happens with this yet as not started my first season in the prem just yet , :)

No, it's not harsh.

The board would love to expand as well but the city denies it, so they can't do anything about it. If you then issue an ultimatum to your board that is plain stupid for it must lead to a sack when they cannot do anything about it.

Keep in mind that by issuing an ultimatum basically YOU are the one who quits unless they comply with your demand (which in this case they simply couldn't due to something which was beyond their power).

Exactly right. The bank balance is not the defining variable for whether a new stadium can be built or not. My own board (Cordoba) built a new stadium, whilst having a bank balance of 6 million. They simply sold the old ground, plus loaned 89 million, and used the sum to finance the construction of the new stadium.

Same here, although I was actually in debt when they built it.

If the new stadium is financially viable then the board will finance it through a loan, sale of the old stadium and a sponsorship, the current bank balance becomes irrelevant.

With the missing feature "request new stadium" instead of asking for a simple expansion, you as the manager cannot ever influence the board into the task of building a new stadium.

The game's football manager, not financial director.

I work as an architect.. and council do refuse .. but they do have common sense .. more capacity mean more money coming into the city.. so can’t really see them refusing it.

1500 is too small

They can only refuse it if it was a conservation area. Or in the ground of change of use. Although planners hate to change the use from commercial to residential more than the other way round, as they don’t want to effect business in the area

Anyway even if they refuse it in that area, they will allow them to build a new one in another area, so I expect the board to start doing one, otherwise they may end up like Gretna who thought they can survive with small stadium capacity which made them dependant on outside money to survive.

OH NOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!, LOOKS LIKE A FEW OF YOU WERE RIGHT :( whils i wait for my 16000 plus capacity stadium to be built over the next two seasons i am restricted to a capacity of 150 ! yes, one hundred and fifty fans :( , i cant even get my 1500 capacity ground full as i only have 150 seats :( , as if staying up was not gonna be hard enough , i know i stated earlier that i had 500 seats but i was wrong , it's def 150 fans for the next two years .

OH NOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!, LOOKS LIKE A FEW OF YOU WERE RIGHT :( whils i wait for my 16000 plus capacity stadium to be built over the next two seasons i am restricted to a capacity of 150 ! yes, one hundred and fifty fans :( , i cant even get my 1500 capacity ground full as i only have 150 seats :( , as if staying up was not gonna be hard enough , i know i stated earlier that i had 500 seats but i was wrong , it's def 150 fans for the next two years .

Is that an expansion or a new stadium?

The game's football manager, not financial director.

Funny, but exactly that feature - requesting the board to build a new stadium - has been added for FM2011! As far as one can see from the small screenshot available on fm.com, the human manager can now ask the board to a) expand the existing stadium, b) build a new one or c) buy a stadium. I'm curious how two of those three options are greyed out on the only screenshot available (or how buying will work, for that matter), but this proves that SI has acknowledged the issues FM2010 and earlier versions have with stadium expansions.

aussieant32, his stadium is being limited because only a small part of the total capacity has seats. The rest is standing room only and those won't be filled in league games.

Funny, but exactly that feature - requesting the board to build a new stadium - has been added for FM2011! As far as one can see from the small screenshot available on fm.com, the human manager can now ask the board to a) expand the existing stadium, b) build a new one or c) buy a stadium. I'm curious how two of those three options are greyed out on the only screenshot available (or how buying will work, for that matter), but this proves that SI has acknowledged the issues FM2010 and earlier versions have with stadium expansions.

aussieant32, his stadium is being limited because only a small part of the total capacity has seats. The rest is standing room only and those won't be filled in league games.

so why has it only been limited when they decided to build a new one?

aussieant , i think it is because i am now in the premier league , pity the board did not think about it when i got into league 1 or the championship really :( , possibly down to funds but like has been posted on this thread , sale of the current ground and sponsorship is paying for the new ground so it's not as if i have had to take a loan at all .

Archived