Biggest decision in my manegerial career so far !

Here's the history:

- Started unemployed with sunday league experienced

- Offered the Worcester job, lead them to League 2 in three seasons

- After one season in League 2 Millwall came knocking and offered me the job there in League 1

- Won the League 1 in first full season and lost in the playoff final of the Championship the following season

- A quarter of the way through this season we are second in the league doing very well

- Newcastle approach me for the job there, they are midtable in the Championship with insecure finances

What do i do? I'm torn between staying at Millwall and potentially guiding them to the Premier League, or taking the job offer at Newcastle United, one of the biggest clubs in English football!

Any advise lads ?

what do you want to do. do you fancy having a shot at the prem if you get there. or do you want to try to wheel and deal at newcastle in the hope of guiding them to the prem in a few seasons. do you think newcastle could win the play-offs or do you want to take millwall to the prem and try and stay their with them. personally i would stay with millwall. if you go up and stay up itll help you abit more. if you then stay for a few years taking them to europe and maybe a bit further and get bored you could then take a new challenge. in my experience if newcastle dont go up first season they rarely go up after that for a while because their finances become so poor.

If you believe you can get Millwall promoted then I would stay as then inevitably even bigger offers would come to you.

If you are unsure you may well consider Newcastle as even in a financial crisis they should have better economic opportunities and provide more and better room for development already mid-term.

Tough one, I agree.

I've managed to turn Millwall into a real decent setup:

- Stadium expansion due for completion in a few months

- Youth facilities in the process of improvement

- 'Secure' finances

- Four under 18 prospects attracting the interest of Premier League clubs

- An average age of 24 in the first team

I'm really proud of the job im doing at the club but the Newcastle job is a massive opportunity and if I didnt manage promotion with Millwall this season, maybe my chance to take charge of a big club like Newcastle could pass.

well what you could do is try and delay until the end of the season. is there a feature in the game where you accept or reject at the end of the season. i know you can delay the deal until the end of the season but im sure thats what he doesnt want to do espcially if he gets promoted and leaves to join newcastle.

stay at millwall till you get bored. If i'm still happy where I am at the moment I continue with the club. In some situations if there is a target I want to achieve I'll stick at it even if i'm not currently enjoying it too well. I'm sure most managers move when there is a new challenge but quite a few e.g. alex ferguson and arsene wenger stay at their clubs because they don't see themselves anywhere else. Look at dafuge in the careers forum. He's in the 60's (2060's!) and still at the same club he started with. Granted he took them from blue square north to a big consistant winning club but he is still there because he enjoys it. Don't move if you are happy where you are because you may regret it later

Personally, I never like to move clubs during a season. If I'm going to move clubs, I prefer it to be during pre-season. I then at least have more time to prepare and shape things more to my liking.

Therefore I would turn the opportunity down, see out the season with Millwall, then see what happens at the end of the season. :)

Had the same happen to me before, My fav team Blackburn offered me the job when I was doing really well at Barca, and decided to stay with Barca, although it took me a while to think it over. I realised that I had a better team at Barca, waited for the end of the season, added a new manager for Rovers and then retired a week later - got offered job again and took much to the disgust of Barca's fans!

From everything you've said I'd stay with Millwall. You'll get them into the Prem either this season or soonish. Then, you can progress with them, or wait for another bigger job opportunity. If the finances at Newcastle are problematic (they always seem to be in the games I've played, as IRL), you'll be on a hiding to nothing, won't be able to bring players in, sell to survive and at best a yo-yo club.

Another good job will come up, if you want it that is :)

Thanks for the advise lads, decided to stay at Millwall in the end.

In response to Jimbob, i'd definately name Newcastle in the top ten English clubs in terms of stature and support.

On your game or in real life?

In real life they have great support, yes. But if they were one of the top 10 clubs overall they wouldn't have been in the Championship last season. They don't deserve to be that low, agreed. But they're not in the top ten.

@ Jimbob, I mean in real life. Despite Newcastle being in the Championship last season they still managed to get near capacity crowds week in week out and drummed up a lot of interest that would normally be expected for a Premier League club.

In my opinion, the top ten clubs consists of obviously the big four and then following them come the likes of Aston Villa, Manchester City, Tottenham, Everton and Newcastle.

When i say the biggest clubs in English football i mean in terms of support and reputation. For example, a Premier League club such as Wigan or Stoke would be more inclined to give opportunities to young up and coming managers, whereas clubs like Aston Villa, Newcastle etc are always likely to have the top managers. This makes them big clubs in English football amongst other reasons.

Do what I always do, save it just before you accept the job offer and save as again after you are announced NUFC boss. Then you always have the Millwall save to go back to for nostalgia/if the Toon game gans up the swanny.

Check my location :D

Go for Millwall. I don't know Newcastle's very well, but Millwall is quite good for a lower league team.

Extremely well supported, good facilities (except youth), balanced and reasonable board.

Also they have players you can actually use even in EPL, like Craig, Barron, Fuseini, Abdou, Robinson, Grabban. They won't help you to win EPL for sure, but they will help you to stay float in first couple of seasons.

Archived