Finances - halting club progression

(A bit about my story you can skip this). So I created my own team and entered it into Blue Square South my thinking being if I worked for 30-40 years saving up all my money I might end up with 500k enough to create my own football team? I've put all my reputation as 0 training facilities and such the same as other amatuer teams and put my team as amatuer which I had to re-edit using fmrte to semi-pro as after 4 seasons it would not budge and my team was clearly semi-pro. All my team was generated by the ai so basically I was starting from scratch. I spent 4 seasons in Blue Square South finally reaching a play-off place only to lose it, due to the frustration of this and the fact that my team were far better than others in my league (checked on fmrte) I used the corner exploit for 2 seasons and achieved back to back promotions. Now I'm in League 2 first 10 games I'm failing miserably with an excellent team and the corner exploit I rant on the forums and come to the conclusion with others that it was my tactics. I was provided with a great narrow tactic which completely changed the game for me, no longer do I use the corner exploit and I acheived promotion again and only just lost the league going down to the last game of the season.

**READ**

My finances were running smoothly up until this point, you can raise upto 750k in friendlies per season but it takes alot of time to arrange. Now I can forsee that 750k and receipts from a 2000 seater stadium will not be enough to cope with the expenditure from being in League 1 especially if I want to get promotion straight away I need good players i.e high wages. I can't rely on youth facilities because they need upgrading...everything needs upgrading but I have very little money.

So I'm going into debt do I sell my players and struggle onward? I dont forsee being able to make alot of money this way to upgrade everything that needs upgrading or do I run the club into debt attempt promotion and hope I get a decent takeover? even with a takeover is it likely to give me enough resources to upgrade my facilities? and ofcourse I Do Not want to get sacked.

when buying players. stick to frees. especially foreign frees as they will ask for cheaper wages. also just cos they are asking for a certain wage. you dont have to neccesarrily give it them. use the loan system as well. you can have five from england in your squad. 4 long term loans and 1 short term. keep changing the short term loan of players. look at scotland as well. teams. they will have players in their reserves which will be good enough for your team and you wont have to much if any wages. theres maybe 3 more players. they dont count towards the 5. sell players that you dont need when you find the cheaper frees. and loans. look at most prem and championship teams for loans. also look at the transfer list as well. you may find some players that are transfer listed and not on much wages. take them on loan especially if they are from scotland. also look abroad for other loans. they dont count either. hope this helps and i hope i read right what your problem is.

Limited finances is the classic problem of every single club in the world.

You have to be realistic and acknowledge that achieving promotion to L1 and staying there would be a tremendeous success. Your club will continue to grow and progress if managed well but obviously that will take years. If you are unhappy with that you will have to leave to a club with bigger potential or decide to inject some money with FMRTE, which is fine as long as you think it's oaky and as long as you don't come bragging with your success later.

ahhh, the finance issue. Being a LLM, I always have this problem. The best way to get money in, is to find decent, young free players, and decent old players. (If you can find cheap / free players of any age, it's also good) - Your old free players, perhaps ex prem players, great mental attributes and good technical attributes, will hold your club together, however, you may need to change them every year or two, due to age. (I'm talking 34-38 year olds.)

With the young players, tie them down to 5 year contracts. That way, you can get them playing well, get clubs interested in them, then sell them for a decent fee, + 50% of next sale. Then, you just have to wait. If one of them hits the big time, you could be looking at £15,000,000+, if not, you may still be looking at £3,000,000+ per transfer. It's a long haul thing to do, but sometimes the only way. If in the mean time you get lucky, maybe a take over, a decent cup run, or Promotion, then you're fine anyway. Good luck.

when buying players. stick to frees. especially foreign frees as they will ask for cheaper wages. also just cos they are asking for a certain wage. you dont have to neccesarrily give it them. use the loan system as well. you can have five from england in your squad. 4 long term loans and 1 short term. keep changing the short term loan of players. look at scotland as well. teams. they will have players in their reserves which will be good enough for your team and you wont have to much if any wages. theres maybe 3 more players. they dont count towards the 5. sell players that you dont need when you find the cheaper frees. and loans. look at most prem and championship teams for loans. also look at the transfer list as well. you may find some players that are transfer listed and not on much wages. take them on loan especially if they are from scotland. also look abroad for other loans. they dont count either. hope this helps and i hope i read right what your problem is.

This is good advice but the problem is even after all that I'm still stuck with a 2000 seater stadium and poor facilities with little money, so what I really want to know is whether it would be better to go all out and go for success hoping I get a take-over as I'm steadily going into debt?

Or take a more moderate long term approach, cut the wage bill down and try to be a master in the transfer market relying on signing cheap players and selling for profit which will probably make me struggle in the league but then I maybe able to build up enough finance to expand?

The overall goal I beleive needs to be to raise enough money to expand my stadium so most of my expenses will be covered by gate receipts then maybe I can move forward. The 2 options may sound extreme but I feel that anything in the middle of these options would be unhelpful in the long run.

This is good advice but the problem is even after all that I'm still stuck with a 2000 seater stadium and poor facilities with little money, so what I really want to know is whether it would be better to go all out and go for success hoping I get a take-over as I'm steadily going into debt?

Or take a more moderate long term approach, cut the wage bill down and try to be a master in the transfer market relying on signing cheap players and selling for profit which will probably make me struggle in the league but then I maybe able to build up enough finance to expand?

The overall goal I beleive needs to be to raise enough money to expand my stadium so most of my expenses will be covered by gate receipts then maybe I can move forward. The 2 options may sound extreme but I feel that anything in the middle of these options would be unhelpful in the long run.

The second one i would do. It will take you longer to achieve everything but you will feel better. i know its a different league and everything but i did it with scunthorpe. i had to sell players and buy frees on cheap wages with bigger signing on fees and bonuses only cos i had the money from selling players. it worked. i was making loads. one player i signed from norway on £4,500 a week i think or something like that. he was one of my top earners. i sold him in the summer for £4.9m. i always buy to sell and it usually workss for me. look for loans as well. thats gonna be a good way for you. you could easily get 5 loans from the prem for nothing and then look in scotland where you may find some more for cheap loans. once you do that look for frees on cheaper wages than you got and then sell the other players for more than there value. so if someone is interested in your player from a higher division and he is valued at £100k offer him to clubs for £500k. you may get £300k. dont transfer list them though. so you may need to edit teams settings before you offer them to clubs. so that you dont transfer list them. but like i said loans and frees on cheaper wages will get you by. then you hope they have a good season and then sell them on to another club for enough money. also once you get enough keep pestering your board for a new stadium.

Limited finances is the classic problem of every single club in the world.

You have to be realistic and acknowledge that achieving promotion to L1 and staying there would be a tremendeous success. Your club will continue to grow and progress if managed well but obviously that will take years. If you are unhappy with that you will have to leave to a club with bigger potential or decide to inject some money with FMRTE, which is fine as long as you think it's oaky and as long as you don't come bragging with your success later.

The only times I have used FMRTE was to change my club status from amatuer to sem-pro as it was actually 'stuck' on being amatuer and after the 4 seasons stuck in Blue Square South to compare the rating of my team to others in my situation because I beleived there was a flaw in the game. I do not wish to use FMRTE to give myself an advantage in the game as I consider this cheating.

If you are happy enough to arrange an unrealistic number of friendlies every season you may as well just carry on and give your club some money via FMRTE.

Same I do not wish to cheat in this game, yes 90 arranged friendlies is unrealistic but it is in the framework of the game and I beleive this makes up for not having investors or the ability to take out loans in the game and such other ways to raise money in this game.

Ah, another who doesn't understand that the name of the game is Football Manager, not Football Make My Fav Team Best In The World.

If you want to make your team tops in the world, and you think that the game isn't giving you enough chances to do that with the sort of financial injections you would expect to receive for your success, edit the money in and give yourself a back-story for doing so. Or better yet, edit your chairman to reflect the new sugar daddy you think you deserve to have attracted. ;)

But if you want to be a successful manager, then you'll have to accept that this may be a glacially slow process. And the club may not ever really want to achieve all you want to achieve as a manager. For example, if you were to be managing, say, Hinckley, and somehow you managed to promote it to L2, while everyone would love the footie being played on Saturday, would the fans and the local investors really want to give up the control of their club to some foreign sugar daddy, lose their comfy cosy ground for some newfangled stadium outside of town, etc.? Maybe not, and if so, and you want the glory of Championship matches, you'll have to look for another team to lead.

As for the friendlies, that's called an exploit, and you're only "cheating" yourself with it. It's no different than the corner exploit, or any other shameless overuse of some unrealistic tactic that the game lets you get away with. ;)

Clubs dont progress in FM, Ive never got a new stadium despite having a 17k ground and being in the CL. There was no long term playability in FM with anything less than a top 6 club because you cant mould a top team with a top ground because of poor reputation and no ambition from the board.

The only way to truly progress is to change teams.

Clubs dont progress in FM, Ive never got a new stadium despite having a 17k ground and being in the CL. There was no long term playability in FM with anything less than a top 6 club because you cant mould a top team with a top ground because of poor reputation and no ambition from the board.

wrong. if your not filling your stadium everyweek you will not get a new stadium. its not sensible to build a new 35,000 seater stadium if your only going to get bout half that maybe a little more. are you filling your stadium, philly_flyer10

I'm in the prem with Oxford. Stadium is maxed out at 18,000 but now i have a decent team (won the premiership, europa league ect) my wages are crippling us. To stay competitive i have to have the best players but of course the best players demand top wages. Each month i'm losing almost £4m ..but that's the way it goes. My prize money tops up the bank account at the end of each year but then it's lost in paying wages the next season..

A new stadium would really help...

I'm in the prem with Oxford. Stadium is maxed out at 18,000 but now i have a decent team (won the premiership, europa league ect) my wages are crippling us. To stay competitive i have to have the best players but of course the best players demand top wages. Each month i'm losing almost £4m ..but that's the way it goes. My prize money tops up the bank account at the end of each year but then it's lost in paying wages the next season..

A new stadium would really help...

keep asking. it should happen soon. when was your last expansion.

That's simply not true. Have a look here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/159136-Freedom-for-Tooting-amp-Mitcham!?p=4450135&viewfull=1#post4450135

That guy got 3 new stadiums with Tooting & Mitcham United FC

wrong. if your not filling your stadium everyweek you will not get a new stadium. its not sensible to build a new 35,000 seater stadium if your only going to get bout half that maybe a little more. are you filling your stadium, philly_flyer10

I was 100% filling my stadium for years. Theres no room to expand and they wont build a new stadium, this isnt 1 save, its been every game since new stadiums were introduced and the owner of my team is Britains richest man. I had loads of money too.

That's simply not true. Have a look here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/159136-Freedom-for-Tooting-amp-Mitcham!?p=4450135&viewfull=1#post4450135

That guy got 3 new stadiums with Tooting & Mitcham United FC

Thats proves even more something is wrong, if he gets a new stadium why does QPR never get one despite having the worlds richest or 2nd richest owners, being sold out 100% of the time and having loads of money in the bank?

for both of you just keep asking. it will come eventually. they will build you a new stadium.

Ive been trying since it was bought into the game, probably for over 50 seasons over the years. Its not going to happen and in truth, it shouldnt depend on the manager asking, its a no brainer that a team would get a new stadium after years of CL football with a 17k ground in England.

Ive been trying since it was bought into the game, probably for over 50 seasons over the years. Its not going to happen and in truth, it shouldnt depend on the manager asking, its a no brainer that a team would get a new stadium after years of CL football with a 17k ground in England.

I agree with you but that Tooting & Mitcham United FC thread i linked you to proves it does happen in the game. Just hasn't happened yet for you, or me.

I know it happens in the game but the feature is clearly broken and needs to be fixed as my case proves, Im sure youre case and many others would prove the same.

Ill probably make a future stadium move in 2 or 3 years time in FM11 unless they explicitly say its fixed. Im not going to get many years into the game and find out its ruined yet again.

I know it happens in the game but the feature is clearly broken and needs to be fixed as my case proves, Im sure youre case and many others would prove the same.

Ill probably make a future stadium move in 2 or 3 years time in FM11 unless they explicitly say its fixed. Im not going to get many years into the game and find out its ruined yet again.

Your case proves nothing.

How many times have you asked?

How much money do you have?

Whats your average attendance each season?

If you ask often enough then I suspect it has to do with the chairman's attributes.

What exactly is your clubs sitiuation? Whats your current balance and average attendence? What were your league placing for the last 5 yrs?

What exactly is your clubs sitiuation? Whats your current balance and average attendence? What were your league placing for the last 5 yrs?

17k, in Europe for years and tens of millions in the banks.

So the club needs a bigger stadium, is successful and has the money to build one without even borrowing.

Ive asked for 50+ seasons in every game since we were allowed to ask and all I got was we cant expand due to lack of space which is true.

Ive actually got us into the top 20 richest clubs in the world due to the value of the players and still nothing.

Your case proves nothing.

How many times have you asked?

How much money do you have?

Whats your average attendance each season?

If you ask often enough then I suspect it has to do with the chairman's attributes.

Hundreds

Tens of millions

sold out

The chairman IRL is ambitious as are the owners.

So its either a huge bug or bad data. I dont really care which, I just want it fixed.

On my old Liverpool save I had that council block permission to build a new stadium but after about 5 years of me winning everything they decided to build a new 60000 seater stadium named after me, they took out a £100-200m loan to do it.

17k, in Europe for years and tens of millions in the banks.

So the club needs a bigger stadium, is successful and has the money to build one without even borrowing.

Ive asked for 50+ seasons in every game since we were allowed to ask and all I got was we cant expand due to lack of space which is true.

Ive actually got us into the top 20 richest clubs in the world due to the value of the players and still nothing.

Bolding mine.

If you've been told you can't expand because their's no SPACE to do so, how do you expect that to change????????????????

Bolding mine.

If you've been told you can't expand because their's no SPACE to do so, how do you expect that to change????????????????

Build a new stadium somewhere else perhaps? That's the point he's trying to make. When they say lack of space they mean at the current ground, not in the entire city!!

Should i still ask even though they have told me the council will never allow it?

As I understand it the more you ask the more chance there is of getting one.

Each time you ask you have a % chance of succeeding so the more you ask the more attempts you get at succeeding.

Hundreds

Tens of millions

sold out

The chairman IRL is ambitious as are the owners.

So its either a huge bug or bad data. I dont really care which, I just want it fixed.

If thats the case then stick it in the bug forum for SI to look at.

Build a new stadium somewhere else perhaps? That's the point he's trying to make. When they say lack of space they mean at the current ground, not in the entire city!!

And how often does it happen that new stadia get built? It's not that often, and it's usually clubs with really, really big reputations that can bully the councils into making those sorts of decisions.

Archived