Thinking of getting a new Laptop - Which one best for FM & FM Live

Hi everyone

I am thinking of getting a new laptop, now currently i have what i considered to be a pretty decent spec machine, but I still found FM10, slow for my liking on it.

I would really appreciate some guidane/opinion as to what I should be looking for in my next laptop (and it must be a laptop) in order to optimise the running of FM11, as thats what i use my laptop mostly for.

When I posted upon release of FM10 saying i was surprised at how slow i found the game, it was suggested laptop's would generally be slower than a desktop which is fine, so what do i need to get in terms of a laptop to ENSURE a very good performance?

I really am open to either a PC or a Mac

Would appreciate some advice, before the next installment of FM.

Thanks

FYI - On FM10 the below spec, wasn't quick enough:

® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.10 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 cache)

Memory

4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]

Video Card

nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory

Hard Drive

320GB (5.400rpm) SATA Hard Drive

Microsoft Operating System

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English

Dual Core or better processor and 4GB or better RAM I'd say is the essentials. A decent graphics card if your using the 3D.

I though somebody with your post count and years as a user would have thought twice about making another 'I need a laptop' thread. There are so many of them already and really no need. The recommended specs is readily available so anytihng which surpasses that should be sufficient depending on what else you want it for.

Thanks for your help SteveRobbo.

I have actually added my spec of my current PC to my OP, and as you will see i did have what you suggested, but found things still surprisngly sluggish (most often when flicking to/from the tactics screen)

Around your point about starting another thread on such a topic, probably a fair one. However, just concerned I get this addressed as my purchase will be primarily made with FM11 in mind and obviously the recommended specs didnt do it for me last time.

I would also imagine this topic would be very useful with the new game about to come out

Thanks for your help SteveRobbo.

I have actually added my spec of my current PC to my OP, and as you will see i did have you suggested, but found things still surprisngly sluggish (most often when flicking to/from the tactics screen)

Around your point about starting another thread on such a topic, probably a fair one. However, just concerned I get this addressed as my purchase will be primarily made with FM11 in mind.

I think the issue with the game lagging in and out of the tactics screen is more of a game issue than your computer. A lot of people are having this problem.

Your current specs are fine and I have no idea why the game would be lagging for you. My computer is nowhere near that and I have no problems. Id wait for FM11 or at least the demo and give that a try before you get a new computer. Any lagging issues with the game will more than likely be fixed for FM11.

Also what OS are you using. I take it your on 64bit.

Also just make sure your upt date with general housekeeping. Virus/Spyware/Malware scan, defrag, terminate any unnescessary background programs when playing and so on. Im sure you didnt need to be told that though.

T9400 minimum on a Core 2 Duo. Considering what you can get these days with a Core I3 under the hood. If you can get a good deal with a C2D and a decent 9 Series GeForce, maybe. Personally I would budget for a Core I3. That Clarkdale is an excelent chip.

SteveRobbo, just checked my systems OS and its actually 32 bit

Im not sure if this is correct but I think if you use a 64 bit OS the game can use more of your RAM or something like that. Im sue somebody more technically minded can help you more.

Hi everyone

I am thinking of getting a new laptop, now currently i have what i considered to be a pretty decent spec machine, but I still found FM10, slow for my liking on it.

I would really appreciate some guidane/opinion as to what I should be looking for in my next laptop (and it must be a laptop) in order to optimise the running of FM11, as thats what i use my laptop mostly for.

When I posted upon release of FM10 saying i was surprised at how slow i found the game, it was suggested laptop's would generally be slower than a desktop which is fine, so what do i need to get in terms of a laptop to ENSURE a very good performance?

I really am open to either a PC or a Mac

Would appreciate some advice, before the next installment of FM.

Thanks

FYI - On FM10 the below spec, wasn't quick enough:

® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.10 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 cache)

Memory

4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]

Video Card

nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory

Hard Drive

320GB (5.400rpm) SATA Hard Drive

Microsoft Operating System

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English[/quote

Do you have anything else running at the same time as fm? Its just a guess since I am a desktop user but your hard drive speed might be whats causing you problems. Try and get one that runs at 7400 rpm instead of your current 5400. You could also try downloading something called gamebooster. This will help with the performance of FM as it temporarily stops all the processes and programs running that windows doesn't need.

If you have a virus scanner set up some exclusions so that when its scanning it ignores the folders that fm uses.

Archived