How do you get your old players to become coaches/other staff?

Sometimes I get players I like that are getting on a bit 32-33 age who only play on rotation. I want to reward them by keeping them on as staff but how do I get them to do that? If I dont play them they simply just get unhappy.

They are always on the "Def looking into getting into {staff role}", I give the usual lip service to the media but I've never had one that has actually become staff or had the option to give them a staff contract?

Do they tell you if they are training for badges or whatever?

Keep on commenting every few months you think they'll be a good scout/coach/manager and after a while they should become very confident on wanting to stay in the game. Some however obviously may not want to stay

And then I believe in the last year or 6 months of their contract you can approach to sign them as player/staff. Their contract will then run up and you can try and keep them as your staff, I always find players from your club who you sign are willing to only have wages starting at about £100 - £500 :thup:

You do this thru Interact > Tell the press that you believe <player> .... <staff role>, until they indicate they will definitely stay on in that staff role. Go on with other staff roles as needed. I usually set a reminder in my notebook so that I can do it every month. Note that even if their intention is to stay on, the staff attributes will only show once they announce their impending retirement. Also make sure they are on a sufficiently long contract or you may lose them before you get a 'definite' indication from them.

You can sign them on as staff once their staff attributes appear.

I tryed to get Jamie carragher to become a coach when he was 35 but there was no option to offer him that deal as he wanted to play still. I had to let his contract run out and say good bye to him and 1 year later he is out of the game completely.

You do this thru Interact > Tell the press that you believe <player> .... <staff role>, until they indicate they will definitely stay on in that staff role. Go on with other staff roles as needed. I usually set a reminder in my notebook so that I can do it every month. Note that even if their intention is to stay on, the staff attributes will only show once they announce their impending retirement. Also make sure they are on a sufficiently long contract or you may lose them before you get a 'definite' indication from them.

You can sign them on as staff once their staff attributes appear.

...This is how I do it. I have like 8 or 9 staff members who played for my team.

Something you should know is, a player can have on the personal tab "definitely looking to..." and if you let go of him or sell him, sometimes he'll just disappear instead of becoming a staff member. So you should keep the players you want to become staff members in your team, until their staff attributes show.

Archived