Playing a team from tahiti in French Cup 9th round

IIRC France have a lot of overseas territories which are still technically under French jurisdiction, with a varying degree of indipendence, but still regarded as a part of France in one way or another?

My studies of "Civilisation Française" are a bit rusty, and probably outdated, but DOMs and TOMs [Overseas Departments and Overseas Territories] are France as much as any other mainland province.

Something like Puerto Rico for the U.S. maybe?

So having a team from French Polynesia playing in the French Cup makes sense to me

French overseas territories, or départements[i/] as they're called in French, lie outside metropolitan France (obviously) but under French law have the same political status as those inside France. This is unique to France. In effect, Tahiti is a physical part of France, despite being the other side of the world.

Puerto Rico is different in that it isn't a part of the United States, although remaining an overseas territory of that country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupe_de_France

open to all amateur and professional football clubs in France, including clubs based in the overseas departments and territories.
In the overseas departments and territories, territories such as Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guyana, and Réunion establish their own knockout competition, similar to the regions in France, though only one club from each region is allowed to enter. Territories like Mayotte, French Polynesia, and New Caledonia allow the winner of their cup competitions to enter the 7th round

bit of a nightmare commute for the away fans, particularly if it's a wet tuesday evening and you lose in the 90th minute to an offside goal...

Haha nice thought, too bad I cant check the number of away fans!

Archived