Golden Generations

In the summer of 2018, my Spain team, champions of Europe 2 years previously, were coming into the World Cup a little older (a little too old, truth be told,) and a little wiser, fully confident of a victory.

In 2014, I had led Nigeria to a runners-up spot in the WC, and with such a clearly superior team at my disposal I was sure I could do one better, and finally get that World Cup on my CV (this is the first FM where I've bothered dabbling in international management).

Unfortunately, I did not bargain with the rise of the most devastating attacking force that FM has ever seen: the Croatia 2018 World Cup team.

Old heads like Modric, Lovren, Corluka and Rakitic still had some juice left in their legs, and provided solid support for players like

Bicanic

bicanic.th.png

Martic (most expensive in-game transfer at £54m).

martic.th.png

Radic

mirkoradic.th.png

Sikiric (just went to Villa [who have a tycoon] for £36.5m)

sikiric.th.png

and there are other great wingers and strikers (I'm at the screenshot limit, so just trust me) who can barely get a look-in.

The defence hasn't really had the same luck, still relying on ageing players, but there are a few decently promising youngsters about who might be able to step up in time for the 2020 Euros.

I'm not running the Croatian league or anything in Eastern Europe, so there's no game bias, and in fact many of the leagues I am running haven't been faring that well. England and Italy both ditched their managers after the last WC. I quit Spain to take over Italy (who were ranked 21st) and found a team over-reliant on former greats, such that only the 22yr old Werder Bremen (who I manage) keeper was under 26 in the whole squad - none of the outfield players. England was more a case of picking stars instead of players in-form. In both cases, plus ca change, I guess.

I'm hoping that after taking Italy to the 2020 Euros I'll spot a vacancy for the Serbia job, as they look like they have potential - or Ukraine also look like they could do a lot better than they're doing: my Ukrainian scouts point out a lot of good young players at Metalist and the like.

Rambling aside, I was wondering whether anyone else is seeing non-traditional football powerhouses arise in their games? Screenies if you've got them.

IRL Belgium look like they could be heading upward in time for the next world cup (Hazard, Lukaku, Fellaini, Defour, Vermaelen, Witsel, Kompany etc. will be good ages) and maybe Ghana too; Romania, Nigeria and others had great '90s, then faded; but I've never really seen this kind of thing occur in-game until now.

Archived