What position would you try and train this player for?

With Solihull after 1st season Promotion into the Blue Square Premier. Currently sitting top by quite a way and so moving into the football league in a few months. I found this lad on a free and as I was lacking in HG players I signed him up - he's not bad, but I don't think he has the physical attributes to be a good Central Defender - would you retrain him?

mccashin.jpg

I'm thinking left midfield, given the crossing, dribbling, finishing & passing. What would you reccomend?

Thanks

With his poor acceleration, balance, and stamina, he's not really going to be any good at left wing either unless you try to beef up his physical attributes.

His physicals are so poor that I probably wouldn't have taken him as he might struggle to play enough games, enough minutes of games, and will no doubt be bullied by the opponents.

Yeah his physical stats are poor, but given that you're Solihul in 2011 you're probably quite pleased with him, and rightly so.

I'd probably play him as a CM, where he can stay still and spray some passes round. SC, winger, fullback and DC all need pace more than CM in my opinion. Though pace is important everywhere, of course.

Thanks for the reply, I have him now for a while and I might as well try and get something out of him - do you think he could play at left back then?

That's maybe the one position that I was thinking of, but he couldn't be an attacking full back just yet due to his stamina. If you are going to try to mould him, I would put less emphasis on the attacking attributes and his shooting in training and as much emphasis as you can on his physicals, especially strength where he is really weak.

He's crap. Just sell him.

haha for League Two he's quite good enough to be a squad player. don't think he's any worse overall than this guy, who's been a regular starter for me. we're top of League Two with 38 games played...

anyway I'd go with central midfield as well.

I'm not that familiar with League Two level, but that guy looks really bad

He'd be useless as full-back or winger, due to his physical weakness.

Too slow and not aggressive enough to be a centreback or an anchorman

CM is probably the lesser of the many evils, but his physical attributes are really really low for him to be ok, even (or moreso) in lower leagues, where IIRC physical strength makes a lot of difference

I'm not that familiar with League Two level, but that guy looks really bad

He'd be useless as full-back or winger, due to his physical weakness.

Too slow and not aggressive enough to be a centreback or an anchorman

CM is probably the lesser of the many evils, but his physical attributes are really really low for him to be ok, even (or moreso) in lower leagues, where IIRC physical strength makes a lot of difference

he isnt that bad for a relegation battle in league 2. you need to remember that it isnt a case of being able to say "he isnt that good, ill buy better" you have very little money and even less in wages. Id sign him for free if he came up in my san marino save, my budget is 4.5k!

I personally wouldnt retrain him, because although I can see the use in that feature, its not something I ever really do generally.

However if I were going too, I would look at maybe a Defensive midfielder, his passing is pretty decent for the level and he could sit there and defend and set up potential attacks.

but I would just use him of the bench when needed if I had better options in the centre of defence.

Thanks for all the replies! I will try and build up his strength and see how he settles as a CM.

As I mentioned I am currently in the conference and hoping to get promotion as I am top by a good 10pts+, so this guy, why not being superb makes a useful addition as he is a HG and I only have 4 in my current squad making games a little bit of a nightmare as I need 4 in my squads.

I've deliberately not read any of the replies to avoid influencing myself, but I'd drop him in the hole behind the striker/s if there's place for such a player in your formation. However, I would personally have no use for a player with these stats given my style of play. One thing I would certainly NOT do is play him anywhere near the defence, would be a total liability.

Archived