34 year old Steven Gerrard is the new England Under 20's Captain?

Yes they will

doesnt that state the team is a Great Britain team? He is saying that it will be a Great Britain team and not an England team.

Not ever seen this bug before though, although when i was the manager of england under 21's i accepted the role of Argentina 1st team an the assistant for the under 21's was giving me weekly reports on the under 21's for about 3 months after taking the argentine role, so maybe the under 21's set up is still a bit buggy.

doesnt that state the team is a Great Britain team? He is saying that it will be a Great Britain team and not an England team.

I think he's saying the Great Britain won't be participating in the football at 2012 Olympics. I'm saying that they will and that it will be represented by just English players.

And that article proves it does it? I'm afraid it doesn't. Trust me, it won't happen.

It does prove it because they have already planned the football tournament with Great Britain represented as one of the 16 teams that will play there. Have another look at the wiki page. How does that not prove it?

If that isn't enough proof for you then how about this?

Have a read of the full article. Although it you don't want to, have a read of this paragraph from the article instead - "Under current proposals for a GB side, only English players are set to compete at London 2012. All but three members of the squad would be aged under 23 in line with FIFA regulations. The home nation qualifies automatically."

Or this one - "FIFA approved plans for an all-English team to represent Great Britain at the 2012 Games in May 2009. The decision came after four years of fruitless attempts by the BOA to convince the other nations to join a united side."

Still don't think it will happen?

It does prove it because they have already planned the football tournament with Great Britain represented as one of the 16 teams that will play there. Have another look at the wiki page. How does that not prove it?

If that isn't enough proof for you then how about this?

Have a read of the full article. Although it you don't want to, have a read of this paragraph from the article instead - "Under current proposals for a GB side, only English players are set to compete at London 2012. All but three members of the squad would be aged under 23 in line with FIFA regulations. The home nation qualifies automatically."

Or this one - "FIFA approved plans for an all-English team to represent Great Britain at the 2012 Games in May 2009. The decision came after four years of fruitless attempts by the BOA to convince the other nations to join a united side."

Still don't think it will happen?

As a matter of fact I don't. I've tried to read that article but it won't open on my browser - I'll try when I get home.

I still think that by the time 2012 comes aroudn there will be more said about the GB team especially with the implications on how it will impact the Home Nations Football Associations.

Also, even if it does happen it will be a complete farce because if it is made up of only English players, the best U23 players will no doubt rather compete at the European Champiosnships (presuming they qualify). And of those players how many will be allowed by their clubs to also play at the Olympics? None in all probability.

On a side note, if the situation were reversed and it was the English FA who opposed the the creation of a British team, do you think the English public would be happy with the proposal that only Scottish players should represent GB? I highly doubt it.

As a matter of fact I don't. I've tried to read that article but it won't open on my browser - I'll try when I get home.

I still think that by the time 2012 comes aroudn there will be more said about the GB team especially with the implications on how it will impact the Home Nations Football Associations.

Also, even if it does happen it will be a complete farce because if it is made up of only English players, the best U23 players will no doubt rather compete at the European Champiosnships (presuming they qualify). And of those players how many will be allowed by their clubs to also play at the Olympics? None in all probability.

On a side note, if the situation were reversed and it was the English FA who opposed the the creation of a British team, do you think the English public would be happy with the proposal that only Scottish players should represent GB? I highly doubt it.

Read the article when you can.

The FA's of the other nations which make up GB have all said that they won't be asking their players to represent team GB but that they have no objections to it being an all-English team.

Also it has direct quotes from Sepp Blatter which says that a GB team made up of any of the home nations will not have any implications upon their individual FA's and rights to compete as separate nations.

I don't think that it will be a farce either. The only players called up to this years WC squad either 23 or under were Aaron Lennon and Joe Hart. Therefore I can't see it effecting the full team at the Euro Champs. There will still be a big enough pool of players to compete. Also this applies to the other European nations which regularly compete in the Olympics and the Euro Champs.

Read the article when you can.

The FA's of the other nations which make up GB have all said that they won't be asking their players to represent team GB but that they have no objections to it being an all-English team.

Also it has direct quotes from Sepp Blatter which says that a GB team made up of any of the home nations will not have any implications upon their individual FA's and rights to compete as separate nations.

I don't think that it will be a farce either. The only players called up to this years WC squad either 23 or under were Aaron Lennon and Joe Hart. Therefore I can't see it effecting the full team at the Euro Champs. There will still be a big enough pool of players to compete. Also this applies to the other European nations which regularly compete in the Olympics and the Euro Champs.

The problem with FIFA is you can't really rely on them to stick to what they say. And Sepp Blatter is a moron (this view is not the view of S.I.) :p

Football at the Olympics historically has not been very compettive and not a lot of European teams competing. Also the standrd of refereeing in the past has been absolutely terrible, making a complete mockery of the games.

In respect fo English players, it's likelty that there would be more first team regulars under 23 in 2012 on the basis that a good few current players may well be retired from international football, players like Lampoard, Ferdinand, Terry, Gerrard, Heskey (HAHA!) and Capello seemd to indicate that he would be picking younger players.

To be blunt, nobody cares about football in relation to the Olympics, neither football fans, nor fans of Traditional Olympic sprots. To back this up, a simple question...off the top of your heads (and this goes for everyone) what were the reults of the last 4 or 5 Olympic Finals? Scorers? Red cards? Highly unlikely anyone will be able to recall these details.

The problem with FIFA is you can't really rely on them to stick to what they say. And Sepp Blatter is a moron (this view is not the view of S.I.) :p

Football at the Olympics historically has not been very compettive and not a lot of European teams competing. Also the standrd of refereeing in the past has been absolutely terrible, making a complete mockery of the games.

In respect fo English players, it's likelty that there would be more first team regulars under 23 in 2012 on the basis that a good few current players may well be retired from international football, players like Lampoard, Ferdinand, Terry, Gerrard, Heskey (HAHA!) and Capello seemd to indicate that he would be picking younger players.

To be blunt, nobody cares about football in relation to the Olympics, neither football fans, nor fans of Traditional Olympic sprots. To back this up, a simple question...off the top of your heads (and this goes for everyone) what were the reults of the last 4 or 5 Olympic Finals? Scorers? Red cards? Highly unlikely anyone will be able to recall these details.

Agree with almost everything that you just said. However none of this has anything to do with Great Britain's football team being represented by only English players, which is what the original point was.

Agree with almost everything that you just said. However none of this has anything to do with Great Britain's football team being represented by only English players, which is what the original point was.

Fair point. The problem I have personally is that I consider myself British and Scottish, probably n muich the same was most people do. I identify with both "nationalities" if you can distinguish them as two different entities. First of all, I have always known Scotland to be a different nation in certain situations, most notbaly football. I support Scotland first and foremost and would much rather Gb was not represented simply because I would not be correctly represnted. I team of players picked specifically becaus ethey are not Scottish, Northern Irish or Welsh, is simply not British It is English. And I am not English.

Forgive me for saying what I am about to say, you may not agree with it but hopefully you can see where I'm coming from...I think that in GENERAL, there is a feeling amongst English people that they are more Britsh than anyone else in the UK. Or, put another way, you have Britons, Scots, Welsh and Irish. My reasoning is because it would be unthinable that a GB team would specifically exclude English players. In the case of the GB Olympic team, it won't be British it will be English. And it is not fair that England can have a right to represent GB as a whole.

Fair point. The problem I have personally is that I consider myself British and Scottish, probably n muich the same was most people do. I identify with both "nationalities" if you can distinguish them as two different entities. First of all, I have always known Scotland to be a different nation in certain situations, most notbaly football. I support Scotland first and foremost and would much rather Gb was not represented simply because I would not be correctly represnted. I team of players picked specifically becaus ethey are not Scottish, Northern Irish or Welsh, is simply not British It is English. And I am not English.

Forgive me for saying what I am about to say, you may not agree with it but hopefully you can see where I'm coming from...I think that in GENERAL, there is a feeling amongst English people that they are more Britsh than anyone else in the UK. Or, put another way, you have Britons, Scots, Welsh and Irish. My reasoning is because it would be unthinable that a GB team would specifically exclude English players. In the case of the GB Olympic team, it won't be British it will be English. And it is not fair that England can have a right to represent GB as a whole.

The other FA's of Britain have been asked to take part but none of them want any part of it. Its not like England have taken over and won't allow anybody else in.

I think if the descision is made where it is all English players, the team should be called England and not Great Britain but im guessing this won't be allowed because it wont be 'politically correct' or some other tosh. Maybe they will get around the issue of England v Britain by appointing David Moyes as manager or something.

Archived