Can I retire a number?

You can only retire a number for a particular player (normally club legends when they are retiring)

Otherwise you can't retire random numbers at your will.

It would be a decent addition though.

it is not so easy to add this feature actually. imagine if someone, just for fun, retires all numbers. how would he register the players then? they should put it but add something like " you can retire up to 1-2 numbers at most"

it is not so easy to add this feature actually. imagine if someone, just for fun, retires all numbers. how would he register the players then? they should put it but add something like " you can retire up to 1-2 numbers at most"

I'm pretty sure the vast number of people have the common sense needed not to do this. No reason why the game should be "dumbed down" because there's a possibility people could be stupid.

Just make it a board request ;) if someone is retiring, you could ask the board to retire a number, a option would cow up as normal saying 'the board has responded in a positive manner' and it will give ya a drop down menu for your retiring players. If the board deems that your retiree is worth it (based on apps for club perhaps) then it could work :)

yes you could just not use it but its not really what he is asking is it? eg. you have a player who is a legend for tyhe club, he retires so you stop assiging the number 11. You decide to move on to another job, as soon as you leave the club the AI manager would replace that number.

I think it would be a good feature. The basic coding is there as it exists at other clubs. A board request option for me is the way to do it.

I'm pretty sure the vast number of people have the common sense needed not to do this. No reason why the game should be "dumbed down" because there's a possibility people could be stupid.

I agree, but can you as a serious game making company risk your game being ruined because some people are stupid?

why not?

are there safeguards against people choosing a striker to play in goal every week and conceding 10 a game? Im sure that if someone is complaining that "the game is rubbish cause I retired all the squad numbers and now I cant choose any squad numbers" SI wont be apologetic, nor anyone else playing the game

Well, I suppose if they did bring it in then there could be a limit to the numbers retired- something like you can't retire more than 50 numbers, which would mean you always had at least 49 available.

tbh this is pretty pointless and should not be in the game. How many football teams actually retire numbers - maybe one shirt every couple of years if that, and only in extreme cases like the death of a player on the pitch.

In American Football they do do it for legends but again very rare nowadays.

i agree with your point but not with your reasoning. I believe that more shirts are retired for a legend of the club than a player dying on the pitch.

Edit: just looked it up, there are currently 72 numbers retired in world football, 9 are from players that have died or suffered accidents, 2 are for fans and 61 are for legends of the club retiring or leaving the club.

Another point to add to this, would a clubs manager really be the one in control of retiring squad numbers? I'm sure there would be some dialogue between the manager and the chairman, but ultimately the decision would surely be that of the chairman and board?

I think the option should be there, but for rare occasions. Literally, once in a career rare. (Like, you have a 16 year old come through the ranks, he goes on to win 10 championships with you, 2 World Cups with his nation, play 800 games for you over his career, etc etc etc.

Another point to add to this, would a clubs manager really be the one in control of retiring squad numbers? I'm sure there would be some dialogue between the manager and the chairman, but ultimately the decision would surely be that of the chairman and board?

In the same breath, echoing a few other views here, a club manager could easily just not pick the squad number. This season will be the first time Arsene Wenger has given the number 6 shirt to a player, since Adams retired.

In the same breath, echoing a few other views here, a club manager could easily just not pick the squad number. This season will be the first time Arsene Wenger has given the number 6 shirt to a player, since Adams retired.

Senderos wore it for a few years before leaving in the summer.

On topic: Would be a good idea of retiring up to 5 numbers.

I agree, but can you as a serious game making company risk your game being ruined because some people are stupid?

Yes. There are plenty of things in the game that could "break" the game. People could sell all their players, but there are no failsafes for that, is there?

I may be wrong but I think that irl spanish teams must use every number from 1-25 so retiring a number is not permitted.

I remember this as it was an issue for Sevilla with retiring a number for Antonio Puerta or something around that but I am working within Germany so it is no issue to me.

I however am not stupid enough to use this on too many occassions, I think we should be able to request it for a legendary figure who has done amazing things for the club, a legend of the generation. However if they ever add the ability for players sons to appear in game (i'm unaware if this feature exists) then their son could use that shirt number at the club.

Yes. There are plenty of things in the game that could "break" the game. People could sell all their players, but there are no failsafes for that, is there?

you cannot break the game by selling all the players. you can buy new ones. there is nothing to break the game as SI wouldn't leave it happen

you cannot break the game by selling all the players. you can buy new ones. there is nothing to break the game as SI wouldn't leave it happen

Well done for completely missing the point.

If you sell all your players and don't buy new ones then there will come a time when you can't continue the game. The common sense not to do this is the same needed not to retire all the available shirt numbers.

once more. if you sell all your players you CAN continue the game by taking some actions. if you don't take any actions it is your fault. it would be like not clicking on the "continue" button. retiring all the numbers would make it IMPOSSIBLE to continue the game, therefore breaking it. Well done for completely missing the point.

once more. if you sell all your players you CAN continue the game by taking some actions. if you don't take any actions it is your fault. it would be like not clicking on the "continue" button. retiring all the numbers would make it IMPOSSIBLE to continue the game, therefore breaking it. Well done for completely missing the point.

Don't throw things I said back at me. :)

A feature which would allow you to retire squad numbers would also allow you to call numbers back. Therefore, it would not be impossible to continue the game if you retired all the squad numbers.

retire means retire! you cannot retire and get it back after! does it happen in real life? what weould the point be? also, yes we said before that there are ways not to break the game but they have to figure it out

Sure you can.

All it takes is a request to the board. Plus anyway if it was applied SI should make it so that the board only allow real legends numbers to be retired.

retire means retire! you cannot retire and get it back after!

Yes, you can.

does it happen in real life?

Yes' date=' it does.

what weould the point be?

Realism.

also' date=' yes we said before that there are ways not to break the game but they have to figure it out[/quote']

Again, it's common sense.

retire means retire! you cannot retire and get it back after! does it happen in real life? what weould the point be? also, yes we said before that there are ways not to break the game but they have to figure it out

there have been multiple occasions where shirts have been un-retired.

Argentina retired the number 10 for Maradona then made it usable again for the 2002 world cup, Dunfermeline retired the number 12 as a player died in 96 then re-issued it on 2000, Milan have aloso retired the number 3 for Maldini but have the option to issue it to his son if he plays there and thats just off the top of my head, im sure if you looked it up youd find alot of examples.

I think if a player performs well for a club and is a legend, they should get the option to do it. For example, on my save in 2032-33(which I'm taking a break from), there's a player at my former Liverpool team, who is quite simply the best player ever, has tonnes of appearances, smashed the goals record( has about 500 in all comps), and is about 35 and still going strong. If I was still at he club, and he was retiring, I'd want to retire his number as a sign of quite how awesome he was.

there have been multiple occasions where shirts have been un-retired.

Argentina retired the number 10 for Maradona then made it usable again for the 2002 world cup, Dunfermeline retired the number 12 as a player died in 96 then re-issued it on 2000, Milan have aloso retired the number 3 for Maldini but have the option to issue it to his son if he plays there and thats just off the top of my head, im sure if you looked it up youd find alot of examples.

You're correct

Only have to look at this page to see alot of numbers have been unretired

Archived