Little niggles in an otherwise excellent game....

This is the first edition of FM I've really got into since 01/02, so the SI boys are doing something right.

I haven't been around the boards as I've been too busy playing, so I was just wondering if a few little things that annoy the hell out of me have cropped up for others, and whether they've been dealt with in the current FM Live engine?

I'm managing in League One so they are reasonably good players.....

Long shots: Perfect on release and up until the last patch, now there are hardly any long shots scored. Most go miles high or wide, and those that are on target often result in a spectacular save from average keepers. I have a player with 16 for long shots and he's scored none in 2 full seasons.

Corners: Players rarely escape their markers, so 99 out of 100 corners are either cleared, or the header is under pressure and goes over the bar. It's got to the point where winning a corner is more dangerous to me than the opposition. Winning a corner in injury time when you need a goal is no longer exciting, because you know you won't score.

Strikers: Have a tendency to want to walk the ball in once in the area rather than shoot, then get closed down and tackled or the shot is blocked. Can't use 'shoot on sight' as that will result in more long shots which will fly over the bar.

Generally, there seems to be a lack of variety to the goals that are scored. 'Central midfielder gets ball, slips in striker who rolls it in the corner' is probably the way 80% of the time. I know in certain situations where in real-life there would be a genuine threat, I'm highly unlikely to score.....winger crossing from the byline, free-kicks swung in from an angle etc.

• Administrators

Hi. glad you've been enjoying the game and cheers for the feedback. I'd agree to an extent that the variety in goals scored isn't quite right - we found long shots were considered too effective from general user feedback so it was decreased - however I still see the odd goal pinged into the top corner. Perhaps you need to change your players role to give him more free space and opportunity to score from difference? Also bear in mind Long Shots isn't the only stat that matters, other attributes are taken into account (for example I believe technique would be one as it helps how well he strikes a ball), so he may not be as good as you'd have hoped.

Corners have been a bug bear for many people for a while, it's very difficult to get the balance right between too easy and too difficult. It's definitely something we've been looking at in great detail (for example in Football Manager Live, which users a match engine further on than the one in patch 10.3, this is something we're always looking for feedback on), hopefully we can up the realism - as you've said, nothing better than a last minute winner from a corner (just ask Man Utd fans from the famous Champs League final a few years back!)

All these areas are those that are under constant scrutiny to try and get right, obviously with the match engine it's a major balancing act to try and get things looking like football, playing like football, and coming out with the correct stats for football (as in goals per game and so on).

If other people do have opinions on this, especially those playing the updated FML we'd certainly like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Archived