Manager of the Year is stupid.

So I finish 2nd in the league with Wigan. Wigan, for crying out loud!

Who gets Manager of the Year? Carlo Ancelotti of Chelsea. Okay, fair enough. He won the league. In real life the manager that finished 2nd with Wigan would probably get it over the one who won the league with Chelsea, but still. I can just about take it. But who came second? Me? Oh, no. Arsene Wenger of Arsenal. This is after they finish 5th. That's right, Arsenal don't even make the Champions League and yet apparently Wenger performed better than I did. And no, they didn't win any cups, either. Perhaps I came third? Nah, Harry Redknapp worked wonders leading Tottenham to 8th. Let's recognise that instead.

What's going on? What would I have had to do even be considered?

Aren't the awards based on reputation?

Dont hold me to it though. It they are, I think they should be changed to performance, because in real life, you would be getting rave reviews from every newspaper/media source in the country.

hahaha stupid is an understatement.

I took Weston Super Mare to second in the Premier League (was predicted to be 15th) and who won manager of the year, bloody man city manager, who spent over 100 million was predicted to finish 1st and finished 1st.

I hear you!

Although manager of the month award based on performance (I think that's why I receive it all time with my Millwall team), manager of the season must have something to do with manager reputation.

It takes quite a bit time for game to accept a small team, and unknown manager as world class, no matter how good you perform.

This is my 3rd year in EPL, and when I play with Chelsea in cup match, news still says: "Chelsea expected to pile misery on Millwall", or "Chelsea is absolute favorites" etc.

Pffft! I am league leader, I beat them in league at their home, I beat them 3-0 in first match, what do I need to do to be favorites in this match!

And when I beat team, the news goes "Milwall caused shock !!!". Gee!

It's a shame that some awards and also reputation do not take into account enought any possible discrepancy between reasonable expectations and achievements.

You can keep a small club in the EPL several times and maybe even finish 10th with them. As long as you don't win anything you'll never get to the very top while irl you would probablxy be a leading candidate for Sir Alex' succession... :(

IRL the winner is usually the manager who wins the league. You should have definitely come second though! I'm still unclear as to whether or not they even give second and third places IRL though.

• Administrators

Yeah we're aware that in previous versions the awards have been somewhat predictable, it was due to the way it was calculated. This is definitely something that'll be looked into for any future versions, and apologies for anyone who's had a great season and not felt like they've been justly rewarded! Just revel in the adulation from your fans instead - they're the ones who truly matter! ;)

Yeah we're aware that in previous versions the awards have been somewhat predictable, it was due to the way it was calculated. This is definitely something that'll be looked into for any future versions, and apologies for anyone who's had a great season and not felt like they've been justly rewarded! Just revel in the adulation from your fans instead - they're the ones who truly matter! ;)

on the same sort of issue neil, can player awards also be looked at. for example in my second season in holland, my central defender who was 19 at the time played around 25 games and got an average rating of 7.19. the player who won young player of the year was a striker who played in 1 GAME, scored 1 and got a rating of 7.50. my defender didnt even make the top 3, yet somebody who had 1 good match won the award!!!

Yeah i also have noticed that the manager of the year award goes to the league winners manager generally, it should go to managers that ohave overacheieved significantly at times as well. Like Fulham last season, the award went to Hodgson, which he deserved.

Yeah i also have noticed that the manager of the year award goes to the league winners manager generally, it should go to managers that ohave overacheieved significantly at times as well. Like Fulham last season, the award went to Hodgson, which he deserved.

That's the LMA Manager of the Year Award which I don't believe is in the game. The Premier League Manager of the Year Award has only been won by two managers who didn't win the league. George Burley was the first and Harry Redknapp the second. Your point is still valid though :)

what season where u on because thats a amazing achivement finshing 2nd with wigan

Season 4. My league positions have gone 10th-10th-6th-2nd. It's up there with the best achievements I've ever had on FM. In those four seasons I've also been to one FA Cup Final, one FA Cup semi-final, one League Cup semi-final and the 2nd knockout round of the Europa League (a run which included an away win at Werder Bremen). It's helped that big teams like Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal have been almost unrealistically poor right from the start. I like to think I should take some of the credit, though.

Nice to have an official response! But I feel I should point that any revelling in adulation from the fans is soured slightly by the board go back to only being "satisfied" as soon as they new season starts. I understand what it means, but why have you never sorted this issue so that the board don't seem to just forget about past achievements?

That's the LMA Manager of the Year Award which I don't believe is in the game. The Premier League Manager of the Year Award has only been won by two managers who didn't win the league. George Burley was the first and Harry Redknapp the second. Your point is still valid though :)

This is a valid point, Nejiface, and I did state that I could just about understand why Ancelotti got Manager of the Year. I just think you'd expect there to be at least some reference to Wigan finishing second if it happened. But there was nothing.

It's all worth pointing out that, in real life, a team like Wigan has never finished as high as second, certainly in the Premier League era. I know Blackburn won it but... they won it... so that's a moot point. It's entirely possible that if a side like Wigan really did finish second, Manager of the Year would go to their manager rather than that of Chelsea (if Chelsea won it).

Its good its being looked at as it just goes to the winner each season, not who does the best job. A manager of Bury could lose the title on GD and it would still go to the winner.

Hopefully the manager of the month will be fixed too as that just goes to whoever gets the most points. Not who did best.

Exactly which means the only way to progress as a manager is to go to a top team, you dont get credit for massively overachieving which means you arent in demand.

You pretty much get no reward unless you manage a top 6 side and have success. Getting a L2 side into the FA cup final and getting them promoted is a worse achievement than an odds on team winning the league.

Archived