What's the oldest player you would spend £Xm on?

At what age do you limit your transfer fees to?

£20m+?

£10m?

£5m?

I would only spend over £20m on a player who hasn't reached their potential, i.e. 25 or less as I'd want a considerable amount of service out of them.

£10m I'd probably go for 27 and younger, as you could probably get 5 seasons out of a good player.

£5m I'd want someone who's maybe at their peak or slightly in decline - maybe a stop gap whilst waiting for a youngster to earn their place in the team.

At what age do you limit your transfer fees to?

£20m+?

£10m?

£5m?

I would only spend over £20m on a player who hasn't reached their potential, i.e. 25 or less as I'd want a considerable amount of service out of them.

£10m I'd probably go for 27 and younger, as you could probably get 5 seasons out of a good player.

£5m I'd want someone who's maybe at their peak or slightly in decline - maybe a stop gap whilst waiting for a youngster to earn their place in the team.

IS debatable I think. Whilst you may begrudge say paying 15+ million for a 30+ year old player (not saying there are any but as an example) I might look at the potential he has to the clubs reputation, could he tutor a youth player/players for 2 or 3 years, merchandise from shirt sales, morale boost to squad etc etc.

So I think it would really depend on the player in question as to what he can/could bring to the club as a whole imo.

It would depend a) on my budget and b) how good my current squad is.

On my 801 save with Leeds I was very satisfied with my squad after a couple of seasons back in the Prem, but wanted a bit more versatility and experience. All my left wingers were under 22 and weak mentally, and it was my worst area. Had a 22m budget and spent 8m on a 31 year-old Petrov from Man City on January's deadline day. He was very good for a season and a half, but the next year I signed Ashley Young who was just brilliant.

depend on the class of players you buy. Well, said £10M for 27 or younger. Try to buy Kaka or even Diego Capi(2 years later in game), impossible. Let say how he suits into your squad. In my game, bought David Villa for £24 in second season, use him for around 6 years, then see out his contract by the year after. Bought Messi for £41M, Silva for £40M and would like to see them end career with club.

I simply wouldn't spend more than 15 million on anyone who wasn't a world class player.

There's really no need when the game provides so many great young prospects every season ..

25 is the maximum age I would look to buy a talent for mega money.

In 3 versions of FM I've never spent more than £12m (Podolski fm06) on a player.

Then again I've never had a big transfer budget until I played as WHU in FM08.

To answer you're question though - I start to think more carefully about signing players over 27-28 years old. As I've said, I've never had a big transfer budget so I need to know I can recoup big outlays on players near the end of their contracts. Elderly players don't sell as well.

I generallyike buying older players for much money and generally go with a youthful squad that matures and grows up together. In general i will only spend big money on older players if its the first season and i need a specific position and quick.

Also it depends on the squad i would quite happily spend all my wage budget on a 28 year old if hes was the only position in which i felt i needed a plyer.

Depends on my situation.

I bought Cacaupo... Can't remember his name. When he was on a free, he was about 35, needed a replacement defender, because my first team defender was injured. He was so slow, but he retired the next year.

It depends on who the player is, how desperate I am, and if there's any better long term players.

I find it interesting that very few of you seem to feel the need for a new player to perform now and buy for the longer term. I'm guessing, none of you would have tried and sign e.g. Ruud van Nistelrooy or Henry like Real or Barca did in real life for big bucks. Interesting, and perhaps, food for thought in our games...

I do sometimes buy older players, because quite often they can be very cheap and be of good service to your club. In FM07 I bought Maldini with Arsenal for 1,5 million (Euros that is) and he had the highest average rating of my team for 2 seasons and he played left back! Mind you I had to buy him because Glichy injured himself just before the end of the transfer window.

And btw I do agree with TeeWee, expensive players (let's say 15 million pounds) of around age 30 can be a great asset to your club for about 4 of 5 seasons.

Old players in real life are still useful for a long while, ie. Henry can still play for at least 3 years at his peak and that could bring Barca millions of benefit if they can win trophies. While in game, 1 season is only 30 hours long (for me) and maybe only 10 hours for someone. The time scopes are totally different, that's why people tend not to buy old players. You probably won't enjoy as much from buying a player for a large amount and can only play him for 30 hours.

I've never set myself a limit of what I'd pay based on age. Usually I'll identify what areas I need to strengthen and see what's available and what I can afford. I'll only limit myself based on what I feel the player is worth to my team (and also on how much I have available).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TeeWee:

I'm guessing, none of you would have tried and sign e.g. Ruud van Nistelrooy or Henry like Real or Barca did in real life for big bucks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed not, and really why would we need to? if we could get van n or Henry for a lot of money, presumably we would be able to get the likes of Torres or Villa instead, maybe even Ibrahimovic or Benzema perhaps.

I generally focus on buying 17-21 year olds. I like to shape players to fit my style, enhance their positions, etc. Also, it's generally cheaper in terms of wages. Can get a talented 20-year old on a long contract, which helps with wage inflation. If a good offer comes in for a 28-32 year old, I'll generally accept. Over about 32-33, I just stop renewing contracts.

I used to only really sign young players, but had one first season in the Preimership with bunch of inexperienced players and went stright back down. Genrally sign a few 30+ players now if going up a league. Sun Jhai Hi (sp?) and Jamie Carragher (both 35) signed for my Charlton side and were excellent, both on frees admittly. Think the most I've spent on an over 30 was 5 million for Jason Brown at around 32. Was well wroth it though as he was one of the games best keepers for the next six years.

Funny enough I also signed Ronaldinho, aged 33, for Charlton for no other purpose than he was Ronaldinho. Actully played very well though in Championship and alright in preimership before annoying retiring mid season.

Archived