Europa League

So, I am Southampton and in my 1st season in PL I manage to finish the season in 7th place. I watch the FA Cup final where Arsenal wins Championship team West Brom. So, I am fully confident that I will play in Europa League, because I have heard of a rule that says that if a cup winner has also qualified for CL or EL then it's not the runner-up that plays in EL, but next best team in the league.. Not yet implemented or no such rule, I've misunderstood smth maybe?

Its complicated, I'll do my best to explain.

3 teams qualify from the English League for the Europa League, assuming the UEFA coefficients haven't changed in the game you're running at present.

5th place in the EPL will always qualify for Europa League.

Now it gets confusing.

The winners of the FA Cup, and the League Cup, also qualify for the Europa League. However, they may already have qualified for the Champions League.

If the winners of the League Cup have qualified for the Champions League, then the runners-up do not qualify for the Europa. Instead, another league qualification place occurs, so 6th place would also get into the Europa League.

For the FA Cup, its different. If the winners have qualified for the Champions League, then the runners-up do qualify for the Europa. I think this is what has happened in your case. 7th place in the Premiership would only get you into the Europa League if the FA Cup was contested by two teams that had qualified for the Champions League i.e. the winners and runners up.

Hope this makes sense.

So, I am Southampton and in my 1st season in PL I manage to finish the season in 7th place. I watch the FA Cup final where Arsenal wins Championship team West Brom. So, I am fully confident that I will play in Europa League, because I have heard of a rule that says that if a cup winner has also qualified for CL or EL then it's not the runner-up that plays in EL, but next best team in the league.. Not yet implemented or no such rule, I've misunderstood smth maybe?

The runner up of the FA Cup gets a European spot if the winner has already qualified. If the winner of the League Cup already qualifies for Europe, the European place goes to the league and not the runner up.

The runner up of the FA Cup gets a European spot if the winner has already qualified. If the winner of the League Cup already qualifies for Europe, the European place goes to the league and not the runner up.

Originally it was this, after Milwall lost the FA cup final they changed it (didin't affect Milwall) to what the OP thought, last season (08-09) they changed it back (to come in the season just gone).

Originally it was this, after Milwall lost the FA cup final they changed it (didin't affect Milwall) to what the OP thought, last season (08-09) they changed it back (to come in the season just gone).

No the rule hasn't changed for the FA Cup. If the winner has already qualified for Europe, the place goes to the runner up. The only time it goes to the league is if both teams in the final have already qualified for Europe.

The Runner Up of the League cup does not get a Euro place. That place goes to the league.

So if the OP was expecting to be in Europe because Arsenal won the FA Cup, they are wrong. The place goes to the Runner Up (WBA)

Also Millwall did play in Europe after losing the FA Cup final that year.

Its complicated, I'll do my best to explain.

3 teams qualify from the English League for the Europa League, assuming the UEFA coefficients haven't changed in the game you're running at present.

5th place in the EPL will always qualify for Europa League.

Now it gets confusing.

The winners of the FA Cup, and the League Cup, also qualify for the Europa League. However, they may already have qualified for the Champions League.

If the winners of the League Cup have qualified for the Champions League, then the runners-up do not qualify for the Europa. Instead, another league qualification place occurs, so 6th place would also get into the Europa League.

For the FA Cup, its different. If the winners have qualified for the Champions League, then the runners-up do qualify for the Europa. I think this is what has happened in your case. 7th place in the Premiership would only get you into the Europa League if the FA Cup was contested by two teams that had qualified for the Champions League i.e. the winners and runners up.

Hope this makes sense.

I once finished 5th in the Premier League and did not qualify for Europe at all and the coefficients were still the same. :(

How can THAT happen!?

Everything went against me.

The winner of the Champions League finished outside the top 4 in the Premier League so they took the place of the 4th placed team in the Champions League. The 4th placed team took my place in the Europa League. Teams below me in the league won both domestic cups so they took the other 2 spots in the Europa League and I ended up with no European spot as the 7 spots were all taken.

Archived