What makes Football Manager so great!

When you're assistant says "he could possibly be one of the best youngsters of his generation", and he actually is pretty awesome for once.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb28/boromadloon/Football%20Manager%20Images/academyplayer.png

When your board name a stadium after you.

Any piece of mail where a player calls you awesome.

Just succeding in general. Whether it's taking your team to Champions League Glory, or simply winning the BSS playoff, there is nothing in gaming that can compare to the moment when all the frustration when your tactics fail, the despair of blowing a two goal lead, the anger when your captain gets red carded five minutes into the game, when all this finally becomes worth it. FM has it all - there are times when I hate it, but I always come back, because while the lows are low, the highs are higher than anything else :D

Seeing your current crop of young players you've signed and involved develop into regular first team footballers.

Building your own backroom staff.

Tweaking and altering your tactic, when it clicks it's an amazing feeling.

Your new signing gets a debut goal.

The bunch of news articles just after the end of the season, that always gets me excited.

Getting praise from other managers, or coming out on top of mind games.

I can go on and on

When you're assistant says "he could possibly be one of the best youngsters of his generation", and he actually is pretty awesome for once.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb28/boromadloon/Football%20Manager%20Images/academyplayer.png

I love the fact that his last name is English :D

What makes Football Manager so great? For me, is playing my favorite team and lead them to much success, in this perfect world, without corruption and anything that in real life ruins football for me. Specially with the league editor playing my dream Portuguese league.

Everything: a highly detailed game world that I can visualize and be successful in, leading my favorite teams to glory, developing youngsters...the list goes on and on. No other game causes me to think up imaginary press conferences throughout the day, enough said.

Awesome regen. And yeah, I love having a stadium named after me.

I think what makes fm so great is the fact the the game is so complete, broad and detailed. Of course, we're always moaning and asking for bugs to be fixed or for new features to be added but when you stop and think about it...the game is outstanding.

A lot of the responses in this thread seem to be about specific things within the game that are nice when they occur. But I think the single biggest thing that makes FM so great is being able to sit down at my computer and play a game that is actually reasonably realistic and so immersive. Add to that the breadth of the game (I can manage anywhere from England to the USA to India!) and it's just a wonderful thing, even if it drives me damn near insane sometimes. And to think, it's still got plenty of room for growth if SI choose to go that way...

Archived