Moving clubs? What factors are taken into account?

I'm Everton 13 seasons in and I have won everything a few times and feel I have done all I can with the club. I thought that it would be easy to find a new job at a massive or at least a big club abroad. In the past 9 months I have applied for jobs at the following clubs:

AC Milan

Barcelona

Schalke 04

B. Dortmund

I have zero success (well very limited). Is it normally this hard to get a job at these bigger clubs even though I'm by far the best manager in the world? I can understand AC Milan and Barcelona picking someone who is close to the club, for example Barcelona appointed Stoichkov (who is a legend for them) but AC Milan went for an Italian who had had average success at his previous clubs. Schalke and Dortmund apppointed a very average German manager and a very average foreign manager respectively. I also saved and tried resigning first for the AC Milan and Dortmund jobs so they didn't have to pay compensation, the only job I did get offered was for Wolfsburg who are relegation fodder with crap players and little money in the Bundesliga.

So what is taken into account? How much bearing does my contract length with Everton have? I'm on £120,000p/w with 2.5 years remaining on my contract. Does this have a big impact? Is there anything else I can do to make myself more attractive to good forgein clubs? It's getting a little frustrating now as I'm trying to move my FM career onwards but can't.

Thanks. Any helpful replies appreciated.

So buying you out of your contract would be around 125 by 120,000, i.e. pretty much 15 million! Ever heard of anyone paying that as a manager's transfer fee?

Even if the biggest clubs in the world may actually be able to pay that, I assume no one is willing to do it.

This is quite interesting because I have had exactly the same problem with my manager career. Currently have a little less than 2 years on my £100,000p/w contract left with Roma. I started unemployed, got a perfect offer from Ipswich Town, took them to Premier League after a very successful season in the Championship. Last year I brought some glory to Roma: Serie A winners, runners-up in the domestic cup, Champions League winners - all in one year. However, in real life I am not a supporter of either club and want a new challenge. Managing a troubled Portsmouth who have fallen to League 1 in my save would be just that. I also applied for the Derby County vacancy but they did not want me. My current contract could be an issue indeed. Are you sure, Chalky1989, that resigning now would also lose my place in Roma favoured personnel?

This is quite interesting because I have had exactly the same problem with my manager career. Currently have a little less than 2 years on my £100,000p/w contract left with Roma. I started unemployed, got a perfect offer from Ipswich Town, took them to Premier League after a very successful season in the Championship. Last year I brought some glory to Roma: Serie A winners, runners-up in the domestic cup, Champions League winners - all in one year. However, in real life I am not a supporter of either club and want a new challenge. Managing a troubled Portsmouth who have fallen to League 1 in my save would be just that. I also applied for the Derby County vacancy but they did not want me. My current contract could be an issue indeed. Are you sure, Chalky1989, that resigning now would also lose my place in Roma favoured personnel?

I'm sure you would.

A L1 club could obviously never buy you out of your contract, so at least while being at Roma you'll stand no chance to get the job.

If you resign, you may still struggle as smallish clubs seem hesitant to approach top class human managers as they probably can't 'believe' that they are seriously wanting to join them. But at least you have a chance then.

Of course, if going elsewhere is important enough to you to dispense your managing history, you may as well just add yourself to them with a new manager...

Not quite as much as 15 million no, but i believe Jose Mourinho's move to Real Madrid was in the region of 6 - 10 million and wasn't Harry Redknapps something like 5 million to Portsmouth.

On this game I don't think I have ever seen a managers buyout higher than a million.

Not quite as much as 15 million no, but i believe Jose Mourinho's move to Real Madrid was in the region of 6 - 10 million and wasn't Harry Redknapps something like 5 million to Portsmouth.

On this game I don't think I have ever seen a managers buyout higher than a million.

Oh, that I have. I think the most a club had to pay for me, and paid, was around 3m.

Thanks for the replies. I've only just seen this. I suppose with some simple Maths I could have worked out how much my contract would be to buy out! I'll let my contract run down and leave. Well that's another 2 and a half years with Everton!

Archived