Did SI fix FM?

Been away from the forums for a while, the last FM I had was FM 08 and was so annoyed by SI disregarding several major bugs that permeated the whole series and were not corrected for FM 09 that I refused to buy another FM. For FM 10 I gather the message from SI was we've listened to all the complaints, and the general gist was they were going to focus on fixing long standing bugs rather than doing the typical introducing a few new gimmicky features. I was wondering whether the general opinion on the forums was that they succeeded in doing that, or whether FM 10 was just as buggy as ever?

Been away from the forums for a while, the last FM I had was FM 08 and was so annoyed by SI disregarding several major bugs that permeated the whole series and were not corrected for FM 09 that I refused to buy another FM. For FM 10 I gather the message from SI was we've listened to all the complaints, and the general gist was they were going to focus on fixing long standing bugs rather than doing the typical introducing a few new gimmicky features. I was wondering whether the general opinion on the forums was that they succeeded in doing that, or whether FM 10 was just as buggy as ever?

There will always be bugs, and there were several large ones in FM10. However, SI have made a real effort to listen to the complaints about the bugs and the 10.3 patch has been brilliant.

Imo you should buy FM11, though you may want to wait until the 3rd patch is out if you don't want to come across any of the big bugs. :)

Really depends on your definition of what a "major bug" is. FM08 was perfectly playable, and so was FM09, and FM10 is really good, probably better than the previous two. None of them are perfect though, there's always room for improvement. Why don't you download the FM10 demo and see for yourself.

No program is ever bug-free.

Quite right, but FM/CM has always been particularly buggy. You would never be able to catch them all pre release but there have been some in the past where you felt that if they bothered to play test the game at all then they would've found them. It isn't really reassuring when somebody above mentioned that by the THIRD patch of FM10 they had a decent game.

How about the 3D match engine, does that really work yet?

Quite right, but FM/CM has always been particularly buggy. You would never be able to catch them all pre release but there have been some in the past where you felt that if they bothered to play test the game at all then they would've found them. It isn't really reassuring when somebody above mentioned that by the THIRD patch of FM10 they had a decent game.

How about the 3D match engine, does that really work yet?

its still a work in progress, but its usable, couldn't imagine going back to 2d now

I really think the 3D engine (or 2D as it does not give true 3D) is quite poor, it looks dated the players movement seems jerky and limited as well as numerous bugs. So I always use the topdown version. Which I think personaly works better for me.

It's not quite 3D, and not 2D anymore either. As it's an isometric view I'd call it a 2.5D view.

Hopefully future versions will increase the animation count so that the players look more fluid/lifelike as they move around the pitch.

It's still a decent representation of the events the ME has decided your game had, but it would be nice to see improvements made here.

As for the bugs, yes it still has some bugs. But as already said they don't make the game unplayable (at least in the short term).

Longterm regen quality, especially staff regens, is still in my view a major failing in the game.

FM08 was the worst one, in my opinion. That game seemed a bit like a lazy bridge between 07 and 09. And as for your question, every year it has bugs. New features = new bugs. Although, this year has had perhaps had slightly less big bugs than versions prior. There are always plenty of little ones though :p

You know what, the ME will always have bugs because of the flexibility of it. You're really never going to have a perfect engine. You're never going to have a perfect game if that specific game runs on PURE "cause and effect". Remember that SI hasn't created a specific storyline to follow, this goes for all sports games, but this one is specifically designed to have a BILLION different outcomes even TRILLIONS. It is a possibility that FM10 may be the version with the most bugs but that's because they are trying to cater to our needs. As we want more and more new features, their jobs get harder. They don't have a billion people to test the billions and billions of outcomes that may/can occur.

Just my $0.02 on the matter of course.

I think your best bet is to simply play the demo, and see what you yourself thinks. Other people's opinions are exactly that: other people's opinions. Some will enjoy a game despite some stuff, while others will be a drama queen, ranting and raving that it's the end of FM as we know it.

Personally, coming from FM 2008, I find FM 2010 to be enjoyable and refreshing. The only bug I've encountered is the memory leak issues from 10.0 to 10.2. Since 10.3, I have no real complaints.

Archived