Teaching certain players PPMs

I don't understand why a 20 year old player would refuse to even consider listening to a WORLD CLASS manager asking him to try certain things.

Can you imagine Sir Alex or Mourinho asking a 20 year old striker to try shooting with more power and them turning around and saying no way?

It came to mind because I have been trying to ask balotelli to shoot with power or place shots in the corner and he refuses to do either! He is only 20.

I don't understand why a 20 year old player would refuse to even consider listening to a WORLD CLASS manager asking him to try certain things.

Can you imagine Sir Alex or Mourinho asking a 20 year old striker to try shooting with more power and them turning around and saying no way?

It came to mind because I have been trying to ask balotelli to shoot with power or place shots in the corner and he refuses to do either! He is only 20.

I actually suspect it happens all the time, though in the cases of SAF and Mourinho, the debate wouldn't last long because they'd be sent packing - simply because their respective clubs can afford to cut their losses.

While I don't know specific details, in the case of Mourinho, he shifted out the immensely talented Arjen Robben, froze out Shaun Wright Phillips and didn't play Shevchenko enough to appease Roman Abramovich. I suspect in each of those cases, he may have asked them to do certain things (re. the first two, issues of defensive discipline I suspect) that they were unwilling to do. Hence they were either shown the door or frozen out.

Sometimes players refuse to learn a PPM due to their low level of professionalism, or sometimes when the PPM doesn't fit their attributes, and other times it's because they've just learned a PPM and don't want to start learning another one right away.

I completely agree - I've been with the same player for roughly seven years, and he is a great player with a fairly average passing attribute, so I request for him to play a short passing game, which would fit in my teams style of play. But he just decides for himself that he doesn't need this! Sometimes the game can be a little unrealistic.

Keiran Dyer - when the late Sir Bobby Robson asked him to play on the left?

Alan Shearer - had a sulk when Gullit told him that, post injury and resultant loss of pace, he needed to change his game

David Ginola - I wonder how many managers tried (and failed) to get him to track back?

Lampard & Gerrard - how many England managers have tried (and failed) to stop them both bombing forward and leaving a space the size of the Grand Canyon between midfield and defence?

I think this is perfectly realistic. Some "professional" footballers aren't nearly as professional as they could be. Big ego's fed by the celebrity culture has been a big part of that.

Its dumb, I had 5 players refuse to learn a bullet throw because they thought it wouldnt help them. They had a long throw of 17 or over.

Thats one case where there cant be any logical reason for not doing it, in fact theyd massively increase their chances of being picked if they learned it.

Getting tired of seeing this thread at least once a month......to summerize:

Yes, it may be a bit unrealistic. But it's necessary for gameplay. If there weren't some means of limiting players learning PPMs, before long there would be too many PPMs learned. And that would be more unrealistic.

Archived