Noob questions that are prob'ly basic for you all

Okay so I was stumbling along looking at different things while running my first world. Then I came across a section in the Team Settings page where you can enter what the page said was a screen flow option. It has a bunch of competition including like the World Cup and such. So I am wondering does it mean that I won't see this stuff if I don't add it here, or what. I read the manual entry but its not that clear on what this does.

Also I am wondering when I hit the continue button to move on to the next day sometimes it goes for more then one day. Is this because it will just keep going when I hit it if nothing needs to be done by my? If so is there a way to make it advance only one day at a time? I like to check up on the whole world as I play, see what is happening in other places and such, but if it advances multiple days then I feel like I missed things.

Also since I am completely new to Football (Soccer to me) can some one explain the Cup system for me? I know that I am probably showing a complete ineptness for this sport but it is something completely new to me and something that I am really attempting to learn from the ground up. Thanks in advance!

I've never really looked at the Team Settings so someone else will help, as for continue, yes, it does move on if you have nothing of note to do that day.

Which cup is it you are looking at? Different cups have different rules. The "Rules" page on the cup's FM page may help.

Im actually not too familiar with the flow system and subscribing leagues, events and whatnot as I just use the recommended. But, i believe the game will show you the results directly on the "homepage" for the competitions you have selected. I.e it doesnt continue advancing in the game when youve pressed continue and such games are played

The game advances til something important happens or is about to happen.

Like MIR17 said, look up the cup rules for specific cups. Mainly its certain amount of teams that start, and get halved every round. Winner advances. Might have two legs, then the team scoring more goals total, win. If tied its usually the team scoring more away goals. But not allways.

The flow system bit just means that if you have the world cup selected, anything world cup based such as results etc will be shown in the flow when you're loading for the next day or whatever.

I cba to read the rest of the post though, so can't help beyond this.

Okay so I was stumbling along looking at different things while running my first world. Then I came across a section in the Team Settings page where you can enter what the page said was a screen flow option. It has a bunch of competition including like the World Cup and such. So I am wondering does it mean that I won't see this stuff if I don't add it here, or what. I read the manual entry but its not that clear on what this does.

Also I am wondering when I hit the continue button to move on to the next day sometimes it goes for more then one day. Is this because it will just keep going when I hit it if nothing needs to be done by my? If so is there a way to make it advance only one day at a time? I like to check up on the whole world as I play, see what is happening in other places and such, but if it advances multiple days then I feel like I missed things.

Also since I am completely new to Football (Soccer to me) can some one explain the Cup system for me? I know that I am probably showing a complete ineptness for this sport but it is something completely new to me and something that I am really attempting to learn from the ground up. Thanks in advance!

Your talking about 'worlds' make me wonder whether you are actually playing FMlive, in which case some things might best be asked in the FML forums :thup:

Anyway, to address your 3 issues.

1) Yes, that's what it means. You will not see anything from other competitions automatically unless you are competing in them or make according settings in the screen flow menu.

2) You cannot change that for good. If the game continues for more than one day, then the game 'thinks' that there is nothing interesting going on which would need you to do anything. You can be sure though that the game will always pause when there is something you need to respond to and when the end of a transfer window is approaching (as then short-term deals can happen). If you want to pause more often set the game to 'more responsive' in the preferences menu and make use of the button on the bottom right of the progressing window (forgot what it says). It will bring to back to the game and stop the progression.

3) It depends on what cup you mean. Cups are generally knock-out competitions, like playoffs but with just a best of 1. Which clubs enter depends on each cup and its rules. Some cups have playing teams each other twice or a group phase in them, but generally you win a cup after winning all games ;) If you win a national cup it will likely earn you the qualification for an international competition and if if you win a European cup, well, then you have reached a big success. :)

hth:)

Thanks to everyone who responded I appreciate the answers. In regards to the cup structure I was asking about basically how the different English cups work. I see a bunch but I don't understand who qualifies for each one. The rules page doesn't say either it just give how the cup progresses. So I am wondering I started in the league above the Blue Square League (can't remember what its called right now) and so do I have a cup that I compete for? I really couldn't tell. Also if I am in a cup and win do I move up to the higher cup? Basically I am just really un-knowledgeable about how anything works. I know to most it is probably hard to fathom someone that doesn't get it but hey I'm American so cut me some slack eh!

Well then you're in Coca Cola League 2, which is actually Division 4. The good news is you get THREE cups to play in.

In the FA cup there are a load of preliminary rounds for non-league teams. You skip these and start in round 1. 1st & 2nd Div teams start in round 3.

The League Cup: no non-league teams, you start in round 1, big clubs start in round 2, unless they're in Europe, in which case it's round 3.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - for 3rd & 4th div teams only, divided into North and South.

The FA Cup & League cup winners qualify for the EURO cup, unless they qualify for the Champions Cup, in which case the losing finalists do.

I think that's right.

I think question 1 and 3 are pretty well answered. I just got something to add on question 2 but it is linked to question 1.

If you use the screen flow feature to display world cup matches for example. If you choose it to show you the matches every day during the competition, then the game will only progress one day at a time as it has to show you that screen every day until the competition is over. Obviously you can do that for any other competition as well.

Btw 'non-league' in England refers to all clubs below Coca Cola League 2 as the top 4 leagues only are professional leagues. The Blue Square Premier is obviously a league as well, it just doesn't count ;)

I actually started in the Blue Square Premier league as I started unemployed but I kinda cheated in make "me" in the game. I created a manager that was an International footballer. So the highest team that I was offered was in the Blue Square Premier, unless I wanted to manage in some of the lower leagues in the small nations, so I chose Cambridge due to the fact that I always wanted to study aboard there. They also had the benefit of already being a good team, they were a second place team the year before so at least I got that.

So now I am playing a 4-4-2 looking to move to a 4-3-3 or maybe a 4-5-1 depending on the pieces that I can get a hold of. I plan so far on making a Spain national type team (no just cause they won the cup) but an attacking style with very precision passing. Of course I realize that the abilities in my current league are not the abilities of major footballing teams.

One thing I like doing with Screen Flow is setting it up to show me Player Stats for several foreign leagues at the end of their seasons. When a competition ends, I get the player stats screen for that competition. This gives me insights on potential targets for the upcoming transfer window...

that's funny I did the same thing for some of the foreign league that are way down there in rank so as to poach their good players! Looks like I am getting the hang of this thing after all.

Also if anyone is still paying attention to this thread I have run into another issue that I don't quite understand. I have transfer listed a couple of players that other team have marked interest in and yet no offers. I am inside the first transfer window, so I figure that teams would start to try and obtain these players that they say they want. Is there a way to directly offer them to those teams? If so I have yet to find how to do it so if its possible can someone tell me how to do it.

Thanks!

that's funny I did the same thing for some of the foreign league that are way down there in rank so as to poach their good players! Looks like I am getting the hang of this thing after all.

Also if anyone is still paying attention to this thread I have run into another issue that I don't quite understand. I have transfer listed a couple of players that other team have marked interest in and yet no offers. I am inside the first transfer window, so I figure that teams would start to try and obtain these players that they say they want. Is there a way to directly offer them to those teams? If so I have yet to find how to do it so if its possible can someone tell me how to do it.

Thanks!

A lot of teams are sometimes "just interested" - they may have lots of options and may be monitoring all of them. For example, if they're unsure about the player, it makes sense not to tie themselves down to signing that player.

At that level you have to realise that a lot of teams are skint and will only be willing to buy players for extremely cheap. So make sure your set price isn't too high (usually at a discount to the value of the player) and make sure their squad status is "not needed by the club" (this helps).

A lot of teams are sometimes "just interested" - they may have lots of options and may be monitoring all of them. For example, if they're unsure about the player, it makes sense not to tie themselves down to signing that player.

At that level you have to realise that a lot of teams are skint and will only be willing to buy players for extremely cheap. So make sure your set price isn't too high (usually at a discount to the value of the player) and make sure their squad status is "not needed by the club" (this helps).

Yep I have marked them as not needed and I have also put them as, I think its called, unassigned or whatever for sale value. Could that be why they are not coming a calling, cause they think I will try to pilfer them for too much money? Should I list there value price or a little below. The reason I am desperate to get them gone is that I went and sign two guys that were better especially for the type of squad I am trying to run, and now I am a little over budget. So how should I go about trying to signal to these teams that I really want to deal them away?

There is this option to Offer players to club. Under the contracts/transfer button. Click on Offer to clubs. There you can choose to either offer them for sale or for loan. Assuming you didn't mess with the default team setting, offering a player for a certain price will set him to not needed by club status and be placed on the transfer list immediately. And you will get quite alot of offers so long the asking price is reasonable.

Yep I have marked them as not needed and I have also put them as, I think its called, unassigned or whatever for sale value. Could that be why they are not coming a calling, cause they think I will try to pilfer them for too much money? Should I list there value price or a little below. The reason I am desperate to get them gone is that I went and sign two guys that were better especially for the type of squad I am trying to run, and now I am a little over budget. So how should I go about trying to signal to these teams that I really want to deal them away?

Usually you have to offer them at a lower price. If you simply want to get rid of their wages consider selling them for *gasp* free. Depending on how big your database is, remember that there could be loads of players out there that have no club so are essentially free to sign.

There's no real guide but you'll get used to it through trial-and-error.

Take the Blue Square Premier - a lot of teams have little money so 5-figure (pounds) transfers are relatively rare and usually reserved for relatively good players - but a lot of signings are low multiples of a thousand.

It should be noted that offering on free transfers is not as silly as it sounds. If you can get a player taken off your hands who will cost you $300 a week for 45 weeks left in the season, let's say, that will save you a ton of cash over the season, much more than the $5000 transfer fee you are holding out for by refusing to offer him on a free.

Archived