Laptop for FM

The HP Pavillion laptop seems the best of those two. The HP's CPU cache is 2mb while the Acer's is 512kb. That should make opening applications a little more snappier. Couple that with the 4gb RAM and it seems to be the obvious choice.

The truth is, most any modern laptop will be able to run FM and run it well. However, the more RAM and hard drive space the computer has, you can run more leagues, run longer saves, and the game will run quicker.

Until it died I was playing FM on a three-year old Dell that only ran me about $800 when it was new and that wasn't bad- now I'm on a much better Toshiba and the game runs better, but either way the game should run.

When buying a computer, whether it will run FM shouldn't be the question because, as I said, any modern laptop should be okay.

Thanks for the replys.

Budget not a lot at all as im a student with hardly any money, took me ages to save for this.

Before you go splashing your limited resources, have you looked at what you want with respect to FM and where you are finding it slow, and how this relates to the settings available in game to try and speed it up?

- number of leagues running relative to what you personally do in game

- with respect to the above whether or not more RAM might make a difference rather than buying a whole new system

- do you typically play long term games i.e. does the variety/volume of regen players matter to you

- processing fixtures setting in preferences

- detail levels of active leagues/competitions

- multitasking so instead of sitting waiting and thinking of how slow it is while you watch results etc. get processed, hop on the web and shoot the breeze with the rest of the FM addicts on here

Probably just the skinflint in me but with limited disposable income you should consider all of the above before splashing on a new rig just for FM.

Well, I have the exact same Acer Aspire 5535 in the OP. I am currently running 8 leagues with a large database and I am into 2032/33. I find that the laptop runs brilliantly but i have also found that it can overheat which is a bit of a bummer. The graphics are good for a laptop's standards and the processor is fast. If you have a limited budget the acer is great but, if you want to run more leagues and stuff then get a faster one

Avoid AMD processors with laptops as they are not as quick as Intel (altough this is not the case with Desktops), also for the price of £599 from PC World you can get a much better speck elsewhere, try Novatech. As mentioned before before buying consider the amount of leagues you wish to run, size of database and match engine, all of which will slow down your laptop.

If I were to choose one of these laptops it would be the PCWorld one, but I hate PC World.

Archived