My under 21's have nothing to do!

Playing with Oostende in the Belgian Second division.

I have a first team squad, but no reserve squad. I don't know why there is no 'KV Oostende Reserves', apart from not being able to afford running a reserve team, it was that way when I took control of the club.

I do, though, have under 21 and under 19 sides.

The under 19s are in regular competition, group 2 of the national competition for this age group, and I get regular updates on how they are doing.

My problem is that my under 21 'squad' has only about twelve players, and isn't registered for any kind of competition. In fact they've only played three matches ever, 2 against my first team and a friendly I arranged against a Belgian academy side.

My under 19s are mainly 16 and 17 year olds who won't be ready to step up for years but at least they are getting regular football. What can I do with this U-21 squad of 18, 19 and 20 year olds who aren't playing anybody? I am interested in signing some 18 and 19 year old Belgian and Dutch reserves from big clubs to develop them but there's not much point in putting them in this U-21 squad that doesn't do anything.

Are there any competitions I can register them in?

If they aren't in a competition, I usually organise a seasons worth of friendly games for my reserve side. You could possibly look into doing that? You might be able to make a bit of money by doing so aswell.

12 games into my second season (I play very slowly, mainly cause I often watch the whole 90 minute match, lol).

I wasn't offered anything to do with them at the end of the first season, but I wasn't too bothered about them then, as I was trying to establish the club in the top half of the division with experienced first team players. I think we might get promotion this year or next, but most of my best players are in their 30s, so I really need to start getting younger talent going and keeping an eye on potential new stars.

If they aren't in a competition, I usually organise a seasons worth of friendly games for my reserve side. You could possibly look into doing that? You might be able to make a bit of money by doing so aswell.

But I don't have a reserve side. :(

When I took the job it just gave me a first team squad, u21s and u19s.

Can I create a reserve side and enter them in a competition or arrange loads of friendlies? I think a squad combining the dozen u-21s and members of my first team squad who never even get on the bench would be big enough to play a whole season.

You can simply make your U21's a reserve side then - I don't believe they need to be under 21 when it's a friendly. Are the other Belgian U21 team playing matches? I recall from my FM2007 save with AA Gent that they didn't have them either, I may be wrong though.

But I don't have a reserve side. :(

When I took the job it just gave me a first team squad, u21s and u19s.

Can I create a reserve side and enter them in a competition or arrange loads of friendlies? I think a squad combining the dozen u-21s and members of my first team squad who never even get on the bench would be big enough to play a whole season.

Your u21 is your "reserve" team. It's just referred to differently in various countries. Some countries unfortunately don't have the option for their reserves to play in a reserve league, where as some do. If there are reserve leagues, you're usually asked if you want to participate at the start of each season. Same thing with the u19 or youth teams.

If you don't get asked, or there aren't reserve leagues in a particular country, as SuperRedditch suggested, organise friendly matches for them to play in. I've done the same thing in countries where there's no reserve league, or in a country where my club is at a level below the ability to participate in reserve leagues. As was mentioned, this can also lead to steady income from the matches, depending on the opponents you select.

I have the Belgian league loaded in my game and there is an U21 league. It is strange that you were not offered an opportunity to compete in it. You usually get an invite at the end of every season in your inbox. Did you get one for the U19's league?

I have the Belgian league loaded in my game and there is an U21 league. It is strange that you were not offered an opportunity to compete in it. You usually get an invite at the end of every season in your inbox. Did you get one for the U19's league?

Yes, I entered the under 19s into the league at the beginning of this season.

Mayb I didn't get invited to the U21 league cause I only have ten players!

KVOostende.png

Your u21 is your "reserve" team. It's just referred to differently in various countries. Some countries unfortunately don't have the option for their reserves to play in a reserve league, where as some do. If there are reserve leagues, you're usually asked if you want to participate at the start of each season. Same thing with the u19 or youth teams.

If you don't get asked, or there aren't reserve leagues in a particular country, as SuperRedditch suggested, organise friendly matches for them to play in. I've done the same thing in countries where there's no reserve league, or in a country where my club is at a level below the ability to participate in reserve leagues. As was mentioned, this can also lead to steady income from the matches, depending on the opponents you select.

Well, considering that I won't get an invite to a league till the end of the season, I think I'll do this. Need to sign those youngsters the scouts are recommending though to get enough players! If I put some of my 1st team squad into this side, when they're 24 years old or something, they might get annoyed.

Many thanks.

Archived