International Poaching!

I'm the Manager of England and i was planning on trying to Call up Neymar to play for England once he has become eligible for citizenship at the end of this season I was also looking into the possibility of doing the same with rafael.

Have any of you managed to poach any decent foreign nationals for your own national teams? I was also wondering if there is anyone else i should look into the possibility of trying to steal away.

Also I'm buying up quite alot of the promising newgens from all over Europe and i was wondering what the possibility would be of trynig to tempt them away from representing their native holland/italy/france etc as they wont automatically try and gain english citizenship as they dont have the need to in order to avoid work permit

Might be difficult.

Although some players might never actually get called up for the nation of their birth, they have made their minds up already who they want to play for. Same can happen in reverse too.

I had an interesting scenario managing Nigeria. I found several players good enough to walk into the first eleven. They were all born in Nigeria, but played in France and had French citizenship. They all rejected the opportunity to play for Nigeria, obviously opting to wait for a French call-up. None of them ever made any of the French squads though. Quite frustrating.

Even after winning the World Cup with Nigeria, the same players still didn't want to know.

The one aspect that could work in your favour, is national reputation. Good luck in getting them though, but make sure they've not played for the U-21's though. I believe that has an impact.

I signed a young player from Argentina, didn't notice he had a second nationality. Couple of months later in the international round up it says Diego Alfano had a terrific game netting two goals, but the result was Argentina u21's 0-3 Italy u21's. Turns out he has been poached by the Italians and dubbed the next Andrea Pirlo.

I thought a youth cap { U19/U21/U23} didnt disqualify a player from playing for a foreign team? IIRC Kevin Prince Boateng played for Germany U21's yet was still able to qualify for the Ghana squad?

Also in my game Brazil have plummeted to being ranked 12th in the world incredibly and i am ranked 4th i think so i dont see reputation being a problem.

As for you being Nigeria manager have you managed to tempt Nedum Onouha and victor moses into playing for your team? as i believe Onouha also had U21 caps did he not?

I thought a youth cap { U19/U21/U23} didnt disqualify a player from playing for a foreign team? IIRC Kevin Prince Boateng played for Germany U21's yet was still able to qualify for the Ghana squad?

Also in my game Brazil have plummeted to being ranked 12th in the world incredibly and i am ranked 4th i think so i dont see reputation being a problem.

As for you being Nigeria manager have you managed to tempt Nedum Onouha and victor moses into playing for your team? as i believe Onouha also had U21 caps did he not?

Think you have to be already eligible for the other nation when you get capped at u21 level to then go on and change the nationality you declare for.

u21s etc. don't mean ****. don't know about nationalties afterhand and that, but it's always been put to me that u21s mean **** all.

also a player can play for a different nation even if he's played for another nation, as long as that game wasn't a fifa-sanctioned game. say if they were playing basque or something or just not a fifa-approved friendly.

I could only turn a player with English blood into a England international.

I don't like the idea of having a player play for my country if they can only do so by having lcitizenship.

Brazillians playing for England isn't right.

what about brazilians who moved to england at the age of 2?

how about africans who moved to england at the age of 8 and learnt their football at england?

what about brazilians who moved to england at the age of 2?

how about africans who moved to england at the age of 8 and learnt their football at england?

No.

They can play for the countries they were born in, I don't want a Dudu or Rafael playing for England even if he has been here since 2.

i got thiago, jose enrique and nacer barazite into my england team on my old save. (enrique was actually the best english left back :/

just got made england manager in the 5th season on my new save, but got no decent froeigners. we got the 5 year rule coming uin a years time for all the players signed in 1st season, so we'll see

No.

They can play for the countries they were born in, I don't want a Dudu or Rafael playing for England even if he has been here since 2.

what about if a player was born in say USA, had english parents, and lived in england thier whole lif, they jsut happened to be born in USA. does that mean they can only play for USA?

Well saying that then Hargreaves shouldnt play for england as although his family originates from bolton i believe he was born in calgary, He was also eligible for germany due to his many years at bayern!

Anyway yea i completely agree that in real life i dont like the idea of having a foreigner playing for our country as he wouldnt have the same passion of somebody like Gerrard or Rooney but i am perfectly ok with it in the world of FM!

what about if a player was born in say USA, had english parents, and lived in england thier whole lif, they jsut happened to be born in USA. does that mean they can only play for USA?

Oh no, if they have family members born in England I don't mind it.

I just really don't like the idea that someone who can only play for england because of gaining citizenship

Oh no, if they have family members born in England I don't mind it.

I just really don't like the idea that someone who can only play for england because of gaining citizenship

What if someone was born in England to Nigerian parents and moved to Nigeria when he was six months old?

Or, say, someone born in Brazil to Brazilian parents, but can't remember Brazil because they left when he was six weeks old, and considers himself English?

Which of those would you rather have playing for England?

Even more extreme- two babies, neither with any English blood, one born in England, the other born in the airport in Brazil and arrived in England before the first day of his life was over?

As for foreigners not having the same passion- rubbish. Tell Miroslav Klose that he doesn't have passion for Germany. Tell me that Steven Gerrard has passion for England!

----------------------------------------------------------------

I have a team of Brazilians as Portugal on FM07.

What if someone was born in England to Nigerian parents and moved to Nigeria when he was six months old?

Or, say, someone born in Brazil to Brazilian parents, but can't remember Brazil because they left when he was six weeks old, and considers himself English?

Even more extreme- two babies, neither with any English blood, one born in England, the other born in the airport in Brazil and arrived in England before the first day of his life was over?

As for foreigners not having the same passion- rubbish. Tell Miroslav Klose that he doesn't have passion for Germany. Tell me that Steven Gerrard has passion for England!

Alright then...

SCIAG has owned me like he has done to many others, so I shall agree with him to avoid even trying to argue with him.

Chatting ******** there tbh, if you knew anything about football you would see the passion when gerrard got the captincy and the delight in his face when he scored against the USA ?

Chatting ******** there tbh, if you knew anything about football you would see the passion when gerrard got the captincy and the delight in his face when he scored against the USA ?

Haha. That point about him being delighted scoring a goal for England is clearly moot. He was just happy to have scored for his team. If he was French scoring for France at a World Cup would have made him equally delighted.

Your attitude in saying that someone knows nothing about football because someone is happy to be made captain of their country and score a goal at a World Cup is awful.

On topic - I wouldn't want a player to play for my country if he had gained citizenship simply by living here for 5 years. I think it makes a mockery of the international game when you can 'claim' footballers to play for your nation just by gaining citizenship, i.e. Eduardo for Croatia. If a person is brought up in England, has been educated in England, and has immediate English family they should be eligible to play for England. They are the only circumstances I think should be enforced off the top of my head.

I also don't believe in foreign managers coaching national teams. I fully believe that the international game should be the best one country has to offer against the best another country has to offer. You could argue this would stunt small nations international growth but this is a forum so let's discuss.

In any case, it's demographic inevitability that there will be a non-"English" player playing for England at some time in the near-ish future. Victor Moses and Fabrice Muamba are both African-born in the U-21s, and as that generation gets older they will field a few England players.

Can't make the national team any worse.

I personally feel that we shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush. Just because you are born in a country doesn't necessarily mean you automatically pledge loyalty to that country. Especially if one feels that the country have not actually done anything to bring you to where you are today.

It's a globalised world now. People go where there are opportunities.

this citizen busines sucks, players should stick to the countries they orginate from/born

Glad my kid wasn't born in Cyprus then. Espcially since he was made there.

Would that mean he would originate from Cyprus? :p

I'm norwegian, by the way.

I am not from England, but still.. What if Germans would have the same attitude..?

No Klose, no Podolski, no Ozil, no Marin, no Khedira etc etc :eek:

There would be Ozil, he's as German as Ashley Cole is English, and the same for Khedira.

Arsenal- sorry if that seemed confrontational. The only bit that I thought may have been was the rubbish about passion, which you didn't say.

In any case, it's demographic inevitability that there will be a non-"English" player playing for England at some time in the near-ish future. Victor Moses and Fabrice Muamba are both African-born in the U-21s, and as that generation gets older they will field a few England players.

Can't make the national team any worse.

It's already happened. To give one example, John Barnes was born in Jamaica, moved to England in his teens, and became one of the greatest footballers of his day. But according to ArsenalFan7 he shouldn't have been allowed to play for us. Oh well.

I'm of the opinion that if you are from another country and you take up citizenship of the country you are playing in then as a citizen you have as much right to play for the country as someone born here, And if you are a better player than one who is born in the country then I know which I'd rather have

I could only turn a player with English blood into a England international.

I don't like the idea of having a player play for my country if they can only do so by having lcitizenship.

Brazillians playing for England isn't right.

Won't be many Arsenal players i your England team anytime soon then? ;)

And just look at some who play now of international parentage or grandparentage

I'll call up players from Madagascar and Nauru if they have the passion and the drive to play for the colors of my country

if they are better I see why not

except if they're Hungarians :D I don't like them and their country

I made an experiment for like 18 years in FM, signed many many foreign players, lowered the time to get citizenship, and got to the point where players with High CA and High reputation get called up always by the AI manager, even if he is the worst possible manager (Dunga :D)

example: signed 15 year old regen (Dimitris Nikolaidis) Nationality German and Greek, had him for like 10 years in my squad, finally he got the eligibility, when I received the message and got to his personal page to call him up it said he was already called up :(, he was 186 PA, world class player

only if the difference between the nations is big, example: Costa Rica versus Spain the player prefers the most powerful nation, depends if he is declared too

Depends who you are really.

I have a save with Netherlands Antillies, and I can assure you when a smaller nation not only do you try sway dual nationals who wont play for one nation (for me usually Holland) but also suffer with hot young talent not wanting to come your way. Particularlly the hot regens.

That said, in real football it bothers me a bit, more so when it's someone like Almunia who has spent how ever many years of just his adult life here. People like Barnes, Victor Moses, Zamora ect. don't really bother me tbh. They grew up here so are as English as most other English men.

I'm of the opinion that if you are from another country and you take up citizenship of the country you are playing in then as a citizen you have as much right to play for the country as someone born here, And if you are a better player than one who is born in the country then I know which I'd rather have

Quoted For Truth.

I remember calling up some youngster in Spain who was South American and Spanish (forgot which other country), he was 16 or something and miles away from being ready for country, but my scouts said he'd be brilliant. So I got that news bulletin suggesting there were questions being asked because he wasn't good enough.

Fast forward 4-5 years later and he's a key player for the national team.

Vindicated. :cool:

I remember calling up some youngster in Spain who was South American and Spanish (forgot which other country), he was 16 or something and miles away from being ready for country, but my scouts said he'd be brilliant. So I got that news bulletin suggesting there were questions being asked because he wasn't good enough.

Fast forward 4-5 years later and he's a key player for the national team.

Vindicated. :cool:

Was his first name Lionel?

It's already happened. To give one example, John Barnes was born in Jamaica, moved to England in his teens, and became one of the greatest footballers of his day. But according to ArsenalFan7 he shouldn't have been allowed to play for us. Oh well.

See also: Matt Le Tissier, Graeme Le Saux- both Channel Islanders, and therefore genuinely only British, not English/Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish.

Sorry for double post, I'm lazy right now.

Something i am curious about loosely on the issue of channel islanders if i person is from the channel islands.england/wales/scotland/Northern Ireland then his nationality would legally be british if i am not mistaken, ifthis is the case then shouldnt any of the above be eligible to play for any of the nations? Just seems strange that they are not when they effectively hold nationality for them other "nations" and if not then how do they become eligible to play for the nations if they are already effectively a citizen, i know its a very intricate question but it's intruiging none the less!

Archived