Last Minute goals

I'm sure this has been a common moaning point but it's getting my goat now. Just for the record, If I'm winning in the last 10 minutes then I go defensive with the counter-attack enabled. Now here's my results with the time that they scored.

EFC Frejus Saint-Raphael 1-1 Paris FC - 84th minute equaliser.

Paris 1-2 CS Louhans-Cuiseaux - 80th minute winner

Hyeres 1-1 Paris FC - 88th minute equaliser

Paris FC 2-2 Rodez Aveyron Football Club - 89th minute equaliser

Pacy Football 2-2 Paris FC - 90th minute equaliser

5 games out of 7 I have conceeded in the last 10 minutes. 3 in the last 2 minutes and 2 in the last 10. How many 80+ goals have I scored?

It just seems like whatever you do, they will score. The day I score in the last couple of minutes to equalise or win will be the day hell freezes over.

World Cup 2010 managing Australia i was knocked out by a 94th minute tap in back post against Scotland all i needed was a draw to progress to round of 16..

we lost 1-2..... >.<

and in reply to your thread: thats football take the good with the bad!

It has indeed been a common moaning point. So much so that using search would have probably yielded a fair few threads you could have added to rather than starting your own.

For the record, going defensive and countering is not always the best solution to holding a lead, as can be seen by your results. You have to understand that doing this, is inviting them on to you and putting your players under pressure, at the level you are at they may not cope with that so well. Explore other options. Such as control mentality, retain possession, take a breather etc.

I score loads of goals in the last few minutes to win or salvage a draw and concede very few the other way round.

In the last ten minutes of a game I keep up with the attacking but change play slightly, generally I make one striker more defensive and have the faster one target man and run onto with pass into space so through balls are aplenty, this way when they are really pushing I can counter them effectively.

Perhaps a change in formation for those last 10 minutes might help, take off a striker and throw on a DM and have him man-marking their most dangerous midfielder.

Also use touchline shouts, retain possession and play even safer are my favourites for the last 5 mins.

Personally i'm not a big fan of downloading tactics because you don't really know how you're team is going to play if someone else has set it up. Making your own is usually the best way forward in my opinion. Many people say they're not good at it but it's just organisation, use the tactics creator and organise everything you can think of from how many long shots they take to where they stand at corners. It usually works better like that.

As for your problem about late goals, it could be the fact you're employing a counter attack system. Usually what I do, if i'm ahead by one goal, 80th minute i'd switch to "defensive" and then on 85 minutes, switch to contain. Counter only really comes into play before the 80 minute mark. While it's a defensive mentality, it's still very dangerous for the defenders. The attackers will commit forward when they have the ball and potentially leave gaps behind them and expose the defence to an attack from the opposition. While it looks like a good mentality to employ, defensive but still with an attacking threat, it can be more dangerous than "contol".

I'd also suggest using the touchline instructions. When you're ahead you want your team to "retain possession" and "pass to feet". This means they keep the ball and do not play any silly through balls that your players may not get to. Also, if you switch to contain, turn on "take less risks" so your players play safe and play short easy passes. Sometimes if you employ the possession instruction, your team pass the ball around freely and even work opportunities and chances in the box. Hope i've helped.

Its the magic 424 and/or scripted "excitement" to try and make it more entertaining, go onto the 424 tactic yourself and youll be as likely to score as them.

I have more goals scored both for and against in the last 10 mins than the rest of the other 80 combined.

Another thing that needs to be fixed.

Switch to a slower paced, probing attack style for the last bit of the game.

It should help your players with keeping control, reduces pressure on your defence, and has a good chance of keeping the ball futher away from your own defensive area.

Try it for the same number of 'defensive' matches you played, and then compare the results.

Still haven't scored a goal past the 85+ minute mark and I've played 23 of a 38 games season. I then looked at Rouen 5-4 Cuiseaux and noticed that Cuiseaux scored on 90+1 minutes whilst Rouen scored on 89 and 90+4. More late goals in one game than I've had all season.

Still haven't scored a goal past the 85+ minute mark and I've played 23 of a 38 games season. I then looked at Rouen 5-4 Cuiseaux and noticed that Cuiseaux scored on 90+1 minutes whilst Rouen scored on 89 and 90+4. More late goals in one game than I've had all season.

I've scored past the 90th minute in two of my last three games :D

What is the stamina like for your squad? My outfield players all have double figure ratings, with only one of my first team having a rating below 15.

I've still never had any problems with late goals... certainly not conceding them anyway.

My Arsenal team are into Feb and we've conceded 3 goals (In all comps) in the 85th minute or later, and thankfully none of them have cost us any points. On the flipside we've scored 20 in the last 5 minutes, and the 16 late goals we've scored in the league have earned us 10 points.

I've scored past the 90th minute in two of my last three games :D

What is the stamina like for your squad? My outfield players all have double figure ratings, with only one of my first team having a rating below 15.

11 - DMC

15 - Sub

12 - DL

14 - DC

15 - DC

15 - DR

That's for my DMC, sub4 and defence.

All except Fode Diakite and Pollet have 100% fitness.

11 - DMC

15 - Sub

12 - DL

14 - DC

15 - DC

15 - DR

That's for my DMC, sub4 and defence.

All except Fode Diakite and Pollet have 100% fitness.

That sounds good for the level you are playing at, I'm assuming the rest of the team are similar so perhaps fitness is not the issue.

Chances are it is just down to tactics or luck, neither of which I can really help you with.

Any chance you could put up screenshots of your last three games with the match stats/player ratings split screen? Perhaps we could spot something in there that could be making your team weak in the closing stages of matches.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see anything obvious from those screenshots, perhaps it is just down to a combination of mental attributes of your squad?

I've obviously got something working for me, I've played 20 games and I've scored 6 goals in the added time at the end of matches, 3 of them were match winners and one rescued a point.

I normally hate last-minute winners. But I've also had a quite a few scored by my team on FM2010, so I can't complain. Everytime I concede one and lose the game, I feel like quitting and loading it up at the most recent save, possibly even throwing the laptop out the window. But I don't because I wouldn't do that if my team scored a last-minute winner. Plus I can't afford a new laptop....

I can't see anything obvious from those screenshots, perhaps it is just down to a combination of mental attributes of your squad?

I've obviously got something working for me, I've played 20 games and I've scored 6 goals in the added time at the end of matches, 3 of them were match winners and one rescued a point.

Playing a bunch of Americans on your squad, are you? :D

Archived