Something that makes searching for free agents worthwhile

I am currently playing on a large database with around 30 leagues running on FM 2010.

I started unemployed and took over manager of Forest Green Rovers, in 2012 when we were in pre-season for the League 2 campaign I was taking my time to look thoroughly through the free agents. I had a look to see if there was only 16 year olds that had good potential and I came across 3 players who hadn't been with any club and were new in the game. I scouted them and they turned out to be promising players, they had the potential to be good Championship and decent Premier League players.

They were the only players I have found like that in 6 seasons though. I signed them and sold 1 of them after 2 seasons for 400k to West Brom, 400k is massive for Forest Green Rovers! Lol and I have still got the other 2. The one I sold to West Brom was a left back and the ones still at our club are a centre back and a keeper. The keeper has had interest from loads of clubs, I don't want to sell him at the moment though, maybe if I get over 500k for him I will do.

That really made it worth taking a while to look through all the players out of contract though :) Just to find those 3 gems which helped us in the league and also brought in some invaluable money.

Has anyone else had anything like that happen where the player is on a free but has not been with any clubs before and turned out to be a star?

That is pretty much my whole transfer policy at Hyde United on my save, Buying players on free transfers with true quality which makes a mockery of BSN & BSP, my 1st signing was Sean Doherty previously of fulham Brilliant left winger in his mid 20's who has been an ever present from the blue square north even u untill now where i have just gained promotion to CC League 1! Theres loads of bargains out there, especially young acadamy rop outs of premiership clubs which grow with your teams as you progress... Makes you wonder why lower league teams struggle so much in real life haha J/k

That is pretty much my whole transfer policy at Hyde United on my save, Buying players on free transfers with true quality which makes a mockery of BSN & BSP, my 1st signing was Sean Doherty previously of fulham Brilliant left winger in his mid 20's who has been an ever present from the blue square north even u untill now where i have just gained promotion to CC League 1! Theres loads of bargains out there, especially young acadamy rop outs of premiership clubs which grow with your teams as you progress... Makes you wonder why lower league teams struggle so much in real life haha J/k

I have taken Forest Green Rovers from BSP to League 1 too :) been stuck in League 1 for 2 seasons now :( Finished 4th the first season in League 1 and 3rd in the 2nd season. I always suck at the play-offs. A player who has been with us for 5 seasons now though... Omar Koroma, was with Portsmouth and he has scored something like 75 in 140 games for us, he is still scoring a lot even in League 1 and we bought him when we were in the BSP!

I think the trick is reinventing your squad each season when you gain promotion, Other than a few key players of real quality at after each promotion i have dumped 10/15 players and brought in new, Now i am a league side i am also now lucky enough to be able to get on loan or even buy in a couple of instances some very promising England youth players who do brilliantly at this level especially seeing as they are only 17 -19 and will grow with the team as the progress up the League Ladders! I'm hoping for my 1st team to consist of upto 7 Youngsters with Premisership potential to be playing full time ithin my teamat the start of this season

Archived