Can world class regens be found in the lower leagues?

In the few years that I have played FM, all of the best regens that I have seen/found I found in teams playing in their top divisions. Of course I've never played more than 3 or 4 seasons in a save before.

So those of you who have played longer, have you found potentially world class regens in lower leagues?

I am starting FM 2010 to check right now. My first reaction was: Ofcourse you can! But I want to check, to make sure...

Update, just checked:

In my Man Utd / Ajax / Sparta Rotterdam (now at Man Utd) save I of course try to use my own youth (who are pretty good on average) the most. I have bought some very good other talent, and I think most are from their countries top or second league.

I do have a striker from Ghana, who is brilliant; he has started in the lower American leagues. And also a young player from Cyprus.

I have also checked the top u21 playes (all regens) in the world - allmost all of them are from the top or second league of their country...

So it seems that the majority of the highest valued (thusi with the highest reputation, and not per se the best players ability-wise) started in at least a decent team. This is in line with my own experiece: a team's reputation has quite a high influence on regen quality.

One could argue that this might be the case in real life as well - in the Netherlands a lot of the professional players are orginally from either Ajax, Feyenoord or PSV....

I think it's entirely possible to. I have never played a game long enough to see if they can, but I have signed players my scouts tell me have potential to be pretty good.

The thing about this is, that to get better potential players, you need good youth facilities (in my experience). You are more likely to get players through from all over the world, which obviously increases your chance of getting a real gem, rather than all of them being English if you are Crewe for example. This does not mean that you WON'T get a good player with worse facilities, it just means you are less likely to.

Also, the better players are more likely to be drawn by the bigger clubs, as they get them at a younger age (I assume this is built into the game?), you just don't get to see them until they are promoted to your youth team.

Some high quality regens always start at clubs in South America, mainly Argentina and Brazil (because I have all their leagues simulated in addition to those in Europe). It helps too that they're spawned very young in South America, so they have that extra year or two to develop more.

In other words: yes, it does happen!

Debrecen are a top flight club.

But yes, it does happen. The best right back in the world in my game came from Halifax. The best DM came from a Colombian second division side.

89 goals in 54 games? Sorry. I'm not buying it.

I did manage Real Madrid for that season, the one before and the one after. And no, I did not cheat (that would really ruin the game for me).

But you know, buy it, don't buy it, whatever makes you feel good is good for me :).

Some of my better regens have actually started out a lower league clubs, both in Spain and Brazil (and probably elsewhere). I won't be playing the game until Monday (at the earliest). But I promise to post a few screenshots when I do.

Now the players wouldn't have been as good if they had stayed at the low league clubs, but they were well rated and did come on a nice bit before I got them in most cases.

Scotlands best striker on my game came from second division cowdenbeath originally. He went on to be Scotlands all-time top goalscorer, with 67 goals in 99 games, and he still has at least a couple of years left in him (he's 30).

Also my world-class england and st mirren winger came from leicester who were in the championship. It's definitely rare that world-class regen talent comes from lower leagues compared to top tiers, however it does happen, although they are often snapped up within a year or two by a top-flight club (and often left to stagnate and not develop)>

In the few years that I have played FM, all of the best regens that I have seen/found I found in teams playing in their top divisions. Of course I've never played more than 3 or 4 seasons in a save before.

So those of you who have played longer, have you found potentially world class regens in lower leagues?

the simple answer is yes... fantastic regens can come from anywhere. In my current save a youngster by the name of Calin Zamfir a romanian AMRC,FC came through U Craiova and has equivalent stats of Ronaldinho at his prime. Celtic Picked him up for 1.6 million 2 seasons later of averages ratings of 8.18+, 18 goals + 18 assists each season(average) has so far increased value to 8.5m (the lads 20)... just waiting for the Man City to come in with the 35million dollar bid and for once it will be money well spent!

The best English newgens on my game were bought by big clubs from Stockport, Burnley, Middlesbrough (x2), and so on, as well as the ones who came through at big clubs.

So yeah, they'll come through from anywhere, but they probably have to transfer to a "big" club to reach their potential.

Having a look at my current game, of the World Class regens I've had for my 2 clubs, 2 came from Blackpool(at the same time actually), 1 from Burnley, 1 from Stockport, 1 from Norwich. Most of my other quality players came from my club, or from other top league clubs.

If you spend some time on research you can find some talented and cheap regens in lower leagues. I was playing with Wexford (2nd Divison, Ireland). They didn't gave me any transfer budget and I looked at different leagues and countries. I found 2 free agents from The Congo and Malta. So you should look and make some scouting.

On my Man City save, Arsenal bought a youngster from Peterborough for around £250k i think around 2014, I was the England manager at the time and saw he was one of, if not, the best centre back regen i have ever seen for his age. I just had to have him and signed him for £70m when he was 21 (Arsenal were very hard to negotiate with). Money well spent imo though. It is rare but to have Peterborough produce a player who is now rated as the best English player in my save shows it can be done.

Archived