Is this defender ruined by his jumping/heading?

Hi Guys,

I signed this defender for 200k and have had him out on loan this season and it looks like he is progressing well.

I couldn't resist checking his CA/PA and it is currently at 128/178.

Does his jumping/heading mean he'll never be able to become a decent defender?

x8seE.png

I wouldn't say he is ruined but I think you would need to be careful how you use him.

If you can get him close to his PA and work hard on his jumping attribute you should get him up to around 12 maybe slightly more.

He will lose headers against stronger, bigger forwards but will be fine against smaller ones and used in a cover role alongside a DC that is good in the air will suit him.

Alternatively you could retrain him as a DM/Ball winning MC which would take the pressure off a little.

I wouldn't say he is ruined but I think you would need to be careful how you use him.

If you can get him close to his PA and work hard on his jumping attribute you should get him up to around 12 maybe slightly more.

He will lose headers against stronger, bigger forwards but will be fine against smaller ones and used in a cover role alongside a DC that is good in the air will suit him.

Alternatively you could retrain him as a DM/Ball winning MC which would take the pressure off a little.

How do I "work hard on his jumping attribute"?

I personally think he's very much compromised by that low jumping stat. I would never use a central defender in top level football who has any less than 15 jumping.

Also retraining him to MC doesn't seem good either, because he doesn't have any creativity, DMC could somewhat work, but I just think most of my players should have 15+ jumping, and MC can escape with 12 or 13 if they're very good, but I just think he's a lost cause. You can still try train him up and sell him on though.

How do I "work hard on his jumping attribute"?

Create an individual training schedule just for him.

Jumping falls under strength training (I think, at work so not 100%) so you need a schedule that focuses heavily on that type of training.

Don't fall into the trap of not giving any other training though, I would at least light training in all sections except GK (none). He also needs more than light training in things like defence & ball control.

Its all a question of balance though.

Create an individual training schedule just for him.

Jumping falls under strength training (I think, at work so not 100%) so you need a schedule that focuses heavily on that type of training.

Don't fall into the trap of not giving any other training though, I would at least light training in all sections except GK (none). He also needs more than light training in things like defence & ball control.

Its all a question of balance though.

I'll give that a shot and see how it goes

Jumping falls under aerobic!! Make a training schedule just for him with full aerobic training and hope it improves.

He isn't ruined but he'll probably never get great ratings as the rating system seems to place alot of emphasis on lost headers. I actually had a CB almost identical to yours (though I don't know about his CA/PA) and the way I got him to play well was to give him the "cover" duty alongside a "stopper", thus he wasn't expected to go for headers as much, just mop up behind, making use of his acceleration.

Jumping falls under aerobic!! Make a training schedule just for him with full aerobic training and hope it improves.

He isn't ruined but he'll probably never get great ratings as the rating system seems to place alot of emphasis on lost headers. I actually had a CB almost identical to yours (though I don't know about his CA/PA) and the way I got him to play well was to give him the "cover" duty alongside a "stopper", thus he wasn't expected to go for headers as much, just mop up behind, making use of his acceleration.

Thanks for the correction! I am thinking that he might be somewhat decent in this role as well since he has decent acceleration and pace.

Yeah, he could work out as a sweeper type DC, particularly with his high positioning, though even then I'd try to get his jumping up to ~12. Either way I'd definately get him trained as a DM (assuming you use one). With his tackling and marking, along with his general athleticism (barring jumping), he could make a useful anchorman, and flexibility like this is always a benefit.

Regarding the training schedule, I wouldn't neccesarily go to full aeobic, as long as it's pretty high. Take a look at ones like SFraser's - I've gotten big improvements in physical stats over a couple of years with his "developing XX" ones, which seem to be focused on given a good physical boost without compromising elsewhere. The only problem is that to keep him on a focused schedule, you need him at the club, yet to increase CA (and hence attributes) at the maximum rate, he has to be playing regular football at a level which he is suited for.

Question to all;

Isn't it possible that those attributes increase hugely to make him a better CB or is it likely he's going to be stuck at 12's and 11's for key stats?

if its a major weakness in his late teens it is highly unlikely that it will become a strength in the future. so the best hope would be 11s and 12s.

but this lad is not beyond saving.

he has good attributes for a full back (except the crossing but he could be asked to defend or play short simple passes)

It doesn't "ruin" him but that combined with the fact that he has low bravery and aggression so he won't go in for many tackles and his tackling is only 11 so when he does he isn't going to do that well. Also he isn't very strong or composed which can be a problem when he is in possession in a difficult situation which together would mean I definitely wouldn't have bought him. You could find cb's with much lower PA's that would play better just because they were stronger or better in the air. Out of interest what are his hidden attributes or at least the scouts/coaches opinion of him i.e. consistent or professional?

Also agree on the stopper note, but I'd say he'd make a good fullback if you play a defensive game. If you rely on wide play and your fullbacks getting the ball forward and crossing, etc, then he is not a good option. For stopper, if you can get his bravery up a bit he'd be pretty good.

If I had that player I would re-train him to a right back.

I bought a player almost identicle from France, he had 17 pace, 16 acceleration but only 10 jumping. I retrained him as a right back and I play him at right back every game and he does well.

Why are we saying stopper? He is the total opposite.

A stopper is a big strong player who is good in the air needing Jumping, Strength, Bravery & Aggression.

A cover defender plays alongside a stopper using Pace, Acceleration & Anticipation to sweep up behind.

Archived