Stupid Transfers?

What's stupid? Ok right now IRL Barca arnt going to play that for him, but what happeneds if he has 1 or 2 good seasons at Spurs, knocks in 20 goals and gets loads of assists, wouldn't be such a silly transfer then would it?

in my save in the year 2015, i have witnessed some really silly transfers over the years and its evident when i look at the players on different teams.

i just don't understand why some teams keep a huge roster of players (many in the mid 30s), many who are ineligible to play for not being registered, lacking fitness, polluting low morale to the rest of the squad, and yet still sticking around.

some top teams insist on signing mediocre players in the 29-soon-to-be-30 and 32 range instead of promising youngsters for the same money.

some like barcelona do have their occasional inspiration and sign a quality player or two but keeps him on the bench (if lucky) and plays their 34 year old ibrahimovic until the player they signed becomes demotivated and wants to leave the team after their first season.

i bought a terrific young defender from barcelona for 4mil (release clause) in 2015 and instead of finding a replacement they chose to play gaby milito who is close to his 40s and runs as fast as my grandmother...

the stupidest is propably when I sold Robin Van Persie to Fiorentina for 30.5 million and he was 31 years old! (I put him in the market for 32mil). and even worse, van persie barely played at Fiorentina, i think just 4 or five games.

I don't see how you can class any transfers as been 'stupid'. This is a game don't forget, just because the DB gets updated with as near to real facts and figures as it can that the game itself will not reflect reality. I recently updated my own DB and put Lee Trundle at Neath, he requested a transfer within a month of going there and they offloaded him to Leicester City for £650,000.

I have seen some unrealistic transfers if you compared them to what has/could happen for real, but I would not expect the game to reflect reality 100%

I am currently managing Leeds Utd and after three seasons Newcastle United have just bought Aiden White for £5m after he had a couple of cracking seasons, I could not see that happening IRL, no more than the £65m Man City paid for Stephen Pienaar in my game.

I don't see how you can class any transfers as been 'stupid'. This is a game don't forget, just because the DB gets updated with as near to real facts and figures as it can that the game itself will not reflect reality. I recently updated my own DB and put Lee Trundle at Neath, he requested a transfer within a month of going there and they offloaded him to Leicester City for £650,000.

I have seen some unrealistic transfers if you compared them to what has/could happen for real, but I would not expect the game to reflect reality 100%

I am currently managing Leeds Utd and after three seasons Newcastle United have just bought Aiden White for £5m after he had a couple of cracking seasons, I could not see that happening IRL, no more than the £65m Man City paid for Stephen Pienaar in my game.

You got a screenshot of Stephen Pienaar's history?

I'm finding it hard to believe they paid that much for him

While I do agree that AI team building, particularly a few years in, is not great, some (note: not all) of these "odd" transfers might well make sense in game. If the player in question has been performing decently, and if his attributes in game are better than you percieve him having in reality, then the fact that the AI signed them could well be a good thing - at least in terms of the AI side of the game. There might be database issues, but that's a different story...

Two seasons into the game I saw Lyon buy Brian Howard for about £3m, proceded to play him about five times before releasing him at the end of his three year contract. Bizarre one that, as he was still an average Championship player while Lyon were competing in the latter stages of the Champions' League every season.

Brian howard is one of them players in real life anyway that clubs look at but will never pay big for. for example while at barnsley he was linked with a big money move a lot and clubs in prem came to look but never any more.

In my game Barcelona just signed Aron Lennon for £20million, has anyone else had stupid transfers?

Spurs wouldn't take £20m for Lennon.

Utterly ridiculous!!!! Lennon would be a laughing stock in Spain.

Why exactly? Take it you're a gooner.

Admittedly Aaron had a horrid WC but then none of the English (or french or Italians) covered themselves in glory. Before his injury last season he was easily the best winger in the EPL and has given every top left back nightmares for the last 2 seasons. Not one of them hasn't been embarassed by him at some point.

However they say ignorance is bliss so you 2 must be extremely happy.

Aron Lennon is favored personal and keeps doing very well at Real Madrid on my Roma save...

what annoys me is when the ai manager buy players to fill a position not being used in his favored formation, its way to common to see a team playing 3-4-3 buy fullbacks and teams playing 4-3-1-2 buy wingers

Ryan Shawcross to Man United? He's an overrated shambles. Gary Cahill to Barcelona i saw in an old save its just not going to happen. and man city signing daft keepers like that old polish or swiss keeper they constantly buy?

Ryan Shawcross to Man United? He's an overrated shambles. Gary Cahill to Barcelona i saw in an old save its just not going to happen. and man city signing daft keepers like that old polish or swiss keeper they constantly buy?

There were rumours last season Fergie wanted Shawcross back, with Rio having a fair few injuries & only having Jonny Evans as cover, so not that unrealistic, as for him being an overrated shambles, I actually rate him quite highly, I think he's too good for Stoke, & I think him & Gary Cahill will both play for England in a few years.

Yea, they could have started with Heskey up front and he would've bagged. Brazil's midfield quality on FM leads to usual starters like Pato and co. often bagging multiple goals per game and even early in the game I'm sure Neymar had already exceeded Ronaldo's technical abilities.

Now I feel like an idiot for selling Pienaar to Inter for 10M on my game :(

Not exactly a stupid transfer but something which makes me curious is the fact that in the games i play is that bayern always let Ribery go to either Real Madrid or barcelona for £14M yet whenever i try and purchase him i dont even get my offers accepted when i bid as much as £29M, why is that?

• 2 weeks later...
Ryan Shawcross is at Barcelona, and is turning quality!

Bramble went to AC Milan for a few seasons.

Also does Capello ALWAYS call up Almunia to the England squad? Or is it just me? :confused:

Usually, because Almunia's CA is better than any of the England 'keepers and FM doesn't count the fact that Capello wouldn't call up a non-Englishman to the game.

English players are ridiculously overrated on FM.

From a research perspective, maybe, but I've found that over time the English players have struggled to keep up with the Spaniards, Brazilians etc.

Here's a list of the most valuable players in my game (in 2067), with just one English player on there.

its 1 area of the game that SI really need to look at. big clubs either buy players who are not good enough, or buy top players for positions where they already have a class player, so he still doesnt get a game. AI need a lot more intelligence

Archived