Conceding goals from goal kicks!

Looking for some advice here.

Generally speaking, I'm doing well. Managing Preston North End, in the year 2019, competing at the top end of the Premiership with a good side, have won Europa Cup and FA Cup recently. Last two seasons I've finished runner-up in the Prem and really hope to win this season so, overall, I'm doing pretty well. Generally, tactics are usually a strength of mine rather than a weakness.

However, I seem to be conceding a lot of goals from long, punted goal kicks taken by the AI keeper. The kind that Germany scored from (their first goal in the 4-1 rout). They're going over the top, behind my backpedalling defenders, pacy striker latches on - bang - goal. I promise I do not have John Terry & Matthew Upson in defence! ;)

Mental stats of my defenders are pretty good, though they are young. They're not the quickest but neither are they ponderously slow. I can't see anything obvious that's wrong. My keeper btw is Joe Hart.

I'm wondering if its as simple as setting the keeper to "sweeper"? This does happen when I'm playing attacking tactics. Or is there something else I should be looking at?

I once had a goalkeeper score against my team from a goal kick. Yes.. the goalkeeper scored.. kicked it up the pitch and right over my goalkeeper into the net. The kick was from just outside the penalty area thing.

I should add it seems to be mostly happening in gusty, windy conditions, which makes sense.

I've changed my keeper settings to Sweeper Keeper (defend). I'm going to see if that stops me conceding these kind of goals first. I know dropping my defensive line would help but I fear it will compromise my attacking play and I'd rather avoid that if possible.

I should add it seems to be mostly happening in gusty, windy conditions, which makes sense.

I've changed my keeper settings to Sweeper Keeper (defend). I'm going to see if that stops me conceding these kind of goals first. I know dropping my defensive line would help but I fear it will compromise my attacking play and I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Let us know if it works.

Archived