Ability to stop the ball

Anticipation does not give you skill to control the ball thats the next thing. Anticipating a move, the next pass etc. Not controlling the ball.

The next, and the previous. You need to anticipate where the ball will be before you try to control it.

You might be awesome at controlling the ball, but if you're standing a meter from where the ball lands it doesn't mean anything.

Yes anticipation is important but First touch is most relevant. Doesn't matter if you can anticipate a pass if the ball just bounces of your foot and then travels 6 feet from your body.

First Touch is important for the accuracy of the touch - how close it is to the player.

Anticipation is important for being in the right place at the right time.

Technique helps with difficult and awkward balls. Chest/Knee high balls etc.

In general for technical actions the rough guide is that the accuracy is governed by the corresponding attribute (accuracy of a finish = finishing, accuracy of a pass = passsing etc.) and technique modifies how this is done and how the player deals with difficult situations and how well they do it.

The player's Decisions probably helps a bit too - making the right choice on what to do when the ball come to him (does he stop it, does he try a first time pass etc).

As with pretty much everything the the ME, it's not controlled by just one stat.

Where did I say first touch was irrelevant again? Please show me, I can't remember.

Sigh....I never said you said that. All I said was that first touch was most relevant. You may go back and my previous post again if don't think that this is the case. I didn't put words in your mouth so please don't put them in mine.

Hmm, might indeed have misread it a bit, sorry about that.

Anyway, I don't think one is less important then the other. If you can't anticipate you're not gonna get the ball, if you can't control the ball you're not gonna get the ball.

Hmm, might indeed have misread it a bit, sorry about that.

Anyway, I don't think one is less important then the other. If you can't anticipate you're not gonna get the ball, if you can't control the ball you're not gonna get the ball.

I think we all agree that they are both very important. And what I said can go both ways.

Even if you anticipate the pass its for nothing if the ball bounces off your leg and to your opponent. At the same time, I don't care if you have Xavi's first touch....if you don't see the pass coming, you won't be ready and you will have a much tougher time controlling the ball.

Archived