Interesting Idea

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2010/07/17/2030302/former-real-madrid-coach-manuel-pellegrini-i-did-not-have

in regards to the link above i wonder how this would go in FM....

chairman/presidents taking control over the player transfers over the managers which is clearly what happened at the bernabeu last season

its quite clear this happens to a degree in spain and italy (AC Milan spring to mind with Galliani who has his nose in absolutely everything)

i wouldnt say it happens at every club but then again im not completely sure.

P.s i do realize in Fm09 (I think) that the chairman could let you splurge any ammount of cash on a "big-name signing" and in other past versions of fm IIRC chairman/presidents did interfere...

wonder how a scenario such as Pellegrini/Real Madrid would work in fm...

thoughts?

In Italy the transfers are usually done by sporting directors (or some equivalent), the managers don't have control there either. I'd imagine that it's pretty much the same in Spain and also in Germany. The managers might ask for some specific player, but they won't handle the negotiations or make the final decisions.

In Italy the transfers are usually done by sporting directors (or some equivalent), the managers don't have control there either. I'd imagine that it's pretty much the same in Spain and also in Germany. The managers might ask for some specific player, but they won't handle the negotiations or make the final decisions.

well in any case.. how do you reckon this would go with fm?

well in any case.. how do you reckon this would go with fm?

Well, I personally would like it to be an option. I usually play in Italy, so it'd make the experience much more realistic (and also challenging). I say "an option", because it seems that quite many here don't want it. So if it was a tickable option, you could turn it off, like the current system with the transfer budgets at the beginning (a great addition, btw! I allways turn them off).

i think this could work quite well, i remember a whie back think it may have been 07/08 or maybe even before, when i was ac milan boss the chairman started the season and said he wanted to see me sign Trezeguet, it could be a good thing to see, like the fabregas situation, guardiola isnt really having much to do with the deal, its all been driven by Rossell

Well this is probably one area where gamepaly>realism. In a lot of clubs in Italy and Spain (probably other countries too) the name head coach is the proper title, as that's all the manager is, they have no say over contracts, staff, purchase, and sometimes can't even pick the team or call the shots from the sideline. Having a game where you just do the training schedule would be boring.

Well this is probably one area where gamepaly>realism. In a lot of clubs in Italy and Spain (probably other countries too) the name head coach is the proper title, as that's all the manager is, they have no say over contracts, staff, purchase, and sometimes can't even pick the team or call the shots from the sideline. Having a game where you just do the training schedule would be boring.

good point you make..

im not saying that in clubs in italy etc you become basically a head coach.. but just an option or more interference from chairmen when it comes to signing and offloading players...

add a new dimension of difficulty to the game and a tad bit more realistic... but as Rakennusmestari stated as long as it was an option you could turn on or off..

maybe something like... Realistic Chairman Interference?

Here's an idea to incorporate interference without removing the gameplay:

how about at clubs where there is a sporting director/director of foootball etc, they can suggest potential signings, just like your assistant can do at the moment.

At the start of each window, you would get a message in your inbox saying "Your sporting director [name] recommends you sign the following players..."

Your success or failure (deliberate or not) in signing the targets would then impact on your board's confidence level in you, i.e. "the board are pleased with the job you are doing, but are disappointed that [target] was not signed during the transfer window."

how about at clubs where there is a sporting director/director of foootball etc, they can suggest potential signings, just like your assistant can do at the moment.

At the start of each window, you would get a message in your inbox saying "Your sporting director [name] recommends you sign the following players..."

Your success or failure (deliberate or not) in signing the targets would then impact on your board's confidence level in you, i.e. "the board are pleased with the job you are doing, but are disappointed that [target] was not signed during the transfer window."

what he said! totally all for this!

good point you make..

im not saying that in clubs in italy etc you become basically a head coach.. but just an option or more interference from chairmen when it comes to signing and offloading players...

add a new dimension of difficulty to the game and a tad bit more realistic... but as Rakennusmestari stated as long as it was an option you could turn on or off..

maybe something like... Realistic Chairman Interference?

As long as it is an option I don't see why not. The problem as I see it would be to get the AI chairman to behave ... well realistically. Conveying your plans and ideas to an AI chairman seems somewhat problematic IMO. I fear that you'd be stuck with an annoying game element that makes little sense rather than improved realism, but that's just my opinion offcourse.

well as long as "Chairman Behaviour" isnt as repetitive and as annoying press conferences....

im sure if there were simple ways to somehow communicate goals and plans to your AI Chairman it could work

then board confidence will be gauged on how well your plans and goals for the club are unfolding...

similar to the suggestion above where the board suggests a player and if you sign them board confidence goes up if you dont sign them board confidence goes down simple!

I am going to have to go back on my previous position a bit. An issue I have with all these well-just-make-it-an-option type ideas is that if all the things ppl want optional were put in it would rapidly become very unwieldy and unnecessarily complex just to start a new game even. Therefore I am sceptical about this particular addition. It's not a bad idea at all, but I feel compelled to agree with the gameplay > realism in this case.

on fm07 i think i was ac milan and i the first transfer window if you didnt sign a player before 25th july or so the chairman of them put in offers for other players i got people that i didnt want but the best thing about this was i didnt affect my transfer budget it was still as it was before

yeah as i just wrote he bought me trezeguet and this defender i think it was cosmin contra and a couple of other players and i think this is a really good idea because it didnt affect the transfer budget and they were good players

Something not a million miles away from this was in FM05, except that the chairman giving you a recommendation he'd go out and buy a player. It was pulled because the system was impossible to make workable (e.g. the chairman would buy in a 35y.o. David Villa for £35m on £100k a week for the next 4 years). Now I never experienced it that bad I do remember playing a game with a friend where David Villa was bought in for Arsenal (his team) at 28 for the above amounts, nearly twice the wages of the next highest player Henri. While my friend was glad to have Villa, as he said it'd have cost him £20m to get Villa and wages would be more in line with others. Also he had already bought 2 strikers that summer and was looking to offload.

I am going to have to go back on my previous position a bit. An issue I have with all these well-just-make-it-an-option type ideas is that if all the things ppl want optional were put in it would rapidly become very unwieldy and unnecessarily complex just to start a new game even. Therefore I am sceptical about this particular addition. It's not a bad idea at all, but I feel compelled to agree with the gameplay > realism in this case.

that could be a legitimate worry if not approached correctly... but if optional points were given in a list when starting the game i dont foresee it being to problematic

Something not a million miles away from this was in FM05, except that the chairman giving you a recommendation he'd go out and buy a player. It was pulled because the system was impossible to make workable (e.g. the chairman would buy in a 35y.o. David Villa for £35m on £100k a week for the next 4 years). Now I never experienced it that bad I do remember playing a game with a friend where David Villa was bought in for Arsenal (his team) at 28 for the above amounts, nearly twice the wages of the next highest player Henri. While my friend was glad to have Villa, as he said it'd have cost him £20m to get Villa and wages would be more in line with others. Also he had already bought 2 strikers that summer and was looking to offload.

well with this feature its a feature they cant "half cook"... its either got to be implemented 100% correctly and work well with the game as a whole or dont use the idea, the last thing i want is a faulty concept in fm11.

I remember this from previous FMs. The Chairman would just buy a world class player for massive amounts, even though the player was not needed and it made existing players complain about the level of competition within the squad. At the time it was a hindrance to have such an optimistic chairman, but in some clubs this aspect of the game might be quite realistic

that could be a legitimate worry if not approached correctly... but if optional points were given in a list when starting the game i dont foresee it being to problematic

People seem to think that every half baked idea that falls out of their brain should be implemented in the game, and when they get told "no it's a stupid idea" they just say "well just make it an option then" and think that makes it ok.

The problem is, even if they do that, the SI developers still have to dedicate time to coding and testing whatever hair-brained "option" is currently being discussed, which takes away from the time they have to develop and improve the core aspects of the game.

EDIT: Reading that back it sounds a bit rude. Just to clarify, I am not attacking anyone personally, just talking about the forum in general really.

Archived