Player Value versus Player attributes - who to pick

My point relates to who would you pick, a player with a transfer value of say £10m, or a player with slightly better attributes with a value of £1m.

I have always picked my team based on attributes and I was just curious if that is the "correct" thing to do. It usual happens where you get promoted and retain some first team regulars from the promotion season, their values do not increase dramtically whereas most new signings values are higher, albeit with lower attributes.

My point relates to who would you pick, a player with a transfer value of say £10m, or a player with slightly better attributes with a value of £1m.

I have always picked my team based on attributes and I was just curious if that is the "correct" thing to do. It usual happens where you get promoted and retain some first team regulars from the promotion season, their values do not increase dramtically whereas most new signings values are higher, albeit with lower attributes.

Thanks for the responses -

On values, I have a decent young striker who's value is £9m, he is 20, rarely scores and his attributes are nothing special. I play 3 up front and he rarely plays, yet the other players are of a similar age, better but are only valued at £2 - £3m.

Why would that be?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garymelrosewales:

sorry thas basically wot mark vaughan already said but ill ask another question do other hidden attributes improve with experience in international and other important matches or am i wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They can do yes - however a lot is down to how a player is 'handled' ...

For instance dump a 16yr old into an unsuccessful Premiership side relentlessly and its likely he'll soon become despondant and dread matches simply because he won't be able to handle the pressure of losing matches in a high pressure envionment week in week out ...

Put the same 16 yr old onto the subs bench at a large successful club and give him 10-15 minutes experience at the end of matches which have already been largely won and you'll probably find he blossoms - a lot is down to timing and how you handle things on a case by case basis.

does'nt that depend a lot on their personality too tho?

and also in my opinion if they are being mentored by somebody who is professional or a leader of some kind then that can also help the youngster.

And also if the player is young but has good determination and such then they could be encouraged to improve so they then can improve the fortunes of their club.

I assume this is more likely if they are at their favourite club or if they are numerous staff players that are their favourite.

Then again i may be way off the mark.

If you get complaints from Media, Fans and Board on a Player due to their bad preformance (E.g. A striker has scored 3 goals in 20 matches and you don't think that is good either). If you criticise the player, they will get worse, but if you defend them, and he thanks you, he will play much better.

Simple things like defending your players from the Media can make a 10k Player with stats similar to a 10m player as good as the richer one.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drhenry:

If you get complaints from Media, Fans and Board on a Player due to their bad preformance (E.g. A striker has scored 3 goals in 20 matches and you don't think that is good either). If you criticise the player, they will get worse, but if you defend them, and he thanks you, he will play much better.

Simple things like defending your players from the Media can make a 10k Player with stats similar to a 10m player as good as the richer one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Garymelrosewales indicated this is very dependant on the personalities of the players involved - defend a lazy player and he'll think he can get away with continuing to sit in his deckchair on the halfway line watching the match icon_wink.gif

generally from what i have gathered i try to get all my players to be professional so for that i only tutor my best young players with my best experiened players who are proffesional or leaders as if your young players become more proffesional then they will work harder and become a better player.

players who are not going to become good enough for my team do not get tutored by these only other players as i probably don't care about their personality as i am going to sell them to other teams and players who are disruptive to other teams are good for my team.

Thats just my opinion tho

And also mark vaughan how come you have become so interested in this topic as i have noticed on other topics that the moderaters etc do not comment at all - not that i am complaining just a quiery i assume you people are very busy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chuz:

This may be because i havnt played the game for a while now (shame on me, i know) but can you actually tell players to tutor others? Ive forgotten... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately...no. Although that does sound like a good idea and I saw in a young Juventus goalkeepers relationship that he was honoured to be training with Buffon.

well a players value rises to the value paid for them when they transfer to another club

i.e. if you pay £100 million for Buffon then his new value will be £100 million and drop very slowly

the point is that nobody would pay that much (unlikely) but that is the value of the player to that club

You can use value as an indicated to the percepted value of a player to other clubs tho as if he is transferring for more and more money he must be recognised as a good player so you want a bit of both

but if you are choosing attributed you must pick the right ones for each position

Archived