FM gripes, NOT a fanboy rant!

Nothing is perfect, I get that. But If I had the powers to persuade or influence the SI developers I'd like to see the following changes:

* More interesting Press Coneference and less repetitive questions and answers - I can't imagine that real press conferences are particularly exciting, but FM press conferences can be a chore. You want to attend for authentic reasons and I understand the press try to trip you up at times and ask silly questions but how can saying "I wouldn't focus on just one player" return a 'Cagey Press Conference from Smith' prompt or if you say "I think Liverpool will be there or thereabouts" returns a 'Smith says Liverpool: Certainty for title' -wtf? Also, during a press conference at times I can answer the same question three or four times, only it's worded differently.

Oh, and having to answer who I think is going to win the league - when the league title has already been wrapped up is a bit of a wasted question! - this has happened to me.

The worst one is "PLAYER thinks the clubs is underachieving, what are your views on that?", well my views are that if he put away a few of the one-on-ones he has in every game, then as a team we might be doing better.

* A wider selection when rejecting or accepting transfers - why blank out some options when you want to say "The offer is simply not good enough"?

* On a similar note, allow for all the team talk and interaction options to be available at all times. Sometimes you want to give a team talk that isn't listed, but yet will be listed when you don't want to use it.

* When playing a match it would be great if you didn't conceed goals so often when you have literally changed mentality. I often find I am not creative enough chances so I change my system to control or a more attacking approach and within a second I conceed a goal.

* When your assistant suggests I call a team meeting, it would be good to be able to control the outcome rather than the having an item appear in your news feed that says "PLAYER was not happy with the outcome of the meeting" - what was the meeting even about in the first place?!?!?

* ...and finally, allow human controlled teams win penalty shootouts. I've lost count of the amount of lost and could count one hand how many I have won.

When loaning out a player, I want to be abe to only offer him to clubs where he is going to be a valuable first team player. Im sick of going though every loan offer and having to reject all the ones where he will be a backuo fir the first team.

Also when I loan players out, I want them to be playing regularly in the highest league possible. If I have a decent player, I only want to loan him to the championship. I want the option to only send him to championship teams and only to the clubs that are going to play him.

Its annoying when you have to go through them all and reject all the backup offers and all the offers that will play him but from too low a aleague.

* ...and finally, allow human controlled teams win penalty shootouts. I've lost count of the amount of lost and could count one hand how many I have won.

I've won everyone of mine since 09 :D

I've won everyone of mine since 09 :D

Yeah. I lost one penalty shoot-out in a friendly, and one in the African Nations final (after winning the semi-final shoot-out) - but I wasn't too upset about that, because I'd been outplayed all game, and didn't deserve the cup.

Those both happened about 4 years ago in my current save, and they're the only times I've lost penalty shoot-outs in this game, under any patch.

It does diminish the credibility of threads like these when the OP includes things which are clearly petty gripes about bad luck, rather than actual concerns with the game design.

I would like better wording on the final match score. For example I am currently managing Liverpool and I regularly get things like 'Liverpool hammer Hull City 2-0'. Personally I dont think that getting beat 2-0 means you've been hammered. To me being hammered means you've been beaten by a score like 4 or 5-0. As for penalty shoot outs I've won a few and one of them was the Champions League Final.

sooo many good points here, but personally i think SI should scrap the game engine and go back to basics, ive been buying the game for like 16 years and this is without doubt the biggest load of balls ive ever played, no tactics work, you cant win back to back games against terrible opposition and as soon as you sign a player he wants to leave!! wats the point! ive went back to championship manager, much more fun :)

sooo many good points here, but personally i think SI should scrap the game engine and go back to basics, ive been buying the game for like 16 years and this is without doubt the biggest load of balls ive ever played, no tactics work, you cant win back to back games against terrible opposition and as soon as you sign a player he wants to leave!! wats the point! ive went back to championship manager, much more fun :)

WOW, where to begin.

No tactics Work........your problem

You can't win back to back games........your problem

As soon as you sign a player he wants to leave.........your problem

If they really are problems then maybe you should go back to championship manager and keep clicking the win button.

...and finally, allow human controlled teams win penalty shootouts. I've lost count of the amount of lost and could count one hand how many I have won.

I probably win, at a rough guess, about 3/4 of them.

Might be worth thinking about who you select as penalty takers and in what sequence. The attribute "penalty taking" is clearly important but I also tend to pick players who have good mental stats as well.

i think they have got the press confrences spot on cos the press always ask the same questions to the same managers all the time plus they always twist peoples words in real life so i got no problem with the media side of the game. i do agree with ur ideas towards team meetings though.

Might be worth thinking about who you select as penalty takers and in what sequence. The attribute "penalty taking" is clearly important but I also tend to pick players who have good mental stats as well.

I've won one out of two on my only long term FM 2010 save. Sadly the one I lost (World Cup Qtr Final vs. Germany with Ivory Coast) was somewhat more important than the one I won (League Cup 4th Round vs. Sunderland with Liverpool). :-(

yeah scrap the game engine, it will only take half a decade to get a decent one off the ground (i made the mistake of trying championship manager this year and they still havent produced a vaguely believable one since the split, its just really really awful).

Oh and a lot of tactics work, and you certainly can win 9 or 10 games in a row against all levels of opposition, when i struggle in the game, or in life for that matter i try to work out what im doing wrong, i know its easier to blame someone else, whatever floats your boat I guess, if i thought nothing worked in the game I would some other way to spend my free time. FM2010 is far from perfect, personally i enjoyed fm07 a lot more but your complaints are a long way from being constructive, unlike the OP who had some good ideas

Yeah. I lost one penalty shoot-out in a friendly, and one in the African Nations final (after winning the semi-final shoot-out) - but I wasn't too upset about that, because I'd been outplayed all game, and didn't deserve the cup.

Those both happened about 4 years ago in my current save, and they're the only times I've lost penalty shoot-outs in this game, under any patch.

It does diminish the credibility of threads like these when the OP includes things which are clearly petty gripes about bad luck, rather than actual concerns with the game design.

Don't read threads that don't interest you then. Nobody forced you to read my comments and post on here.

As mentioned in another reply - I select players with high composure and penalty taking attributes and I still lose to teams with lesser attributes. I think the outcome is decided before the first penalty kick, regardless of who you select to take the pens.

As mentioned in another reply - I select players with high composure and penalty taking attributes and I still lose to teams with lesser attributes. I think the outcome is decided before the first penalty kick, regardless of who you select to take the pens.

I'd imagine the outcome is decided before the penalty shoot-out takes place but after you have selected your penalty takers. That is what it is processing after you select the penalty takers.

Anyway it is not always the team with the best stats that win on penalties. Luck plays a part.

I think my penalty shoot outs are about 50/50, it's not something I've ever really seen as a problem.

Agree entirely with the increase in responses for media interaction, especially the ones pertaining to transfer offers/loans.

No tactics Work........your problem

You can't win back to back games........your problem

As soon as you sign a player he wants to leave.........your problem

If they really are problems then maybe you should go back to championship manager and keep clicking the win button.

your problem is hardly a constructive comment to someones post, why not go the whole hog and just type "**** Off Loser" which is how you appear to come across.

Tactics aren't the most intuitive aspect of FM, either in the building of them, or in thier application to a specific match.

Pre-Match scout reports often give useless and/or incorrect information.

The AssMan provides no breakdown of the opposition playstyle during the match.

Players and Staff are too dependant on reputation alone. Club Finances, expected performance, current performance and a few other aspects of the club do not get taken into account, when they should.

The game has many minor flaws which build up and get worse the more seasons you play through.

Though I'm sure you never encounter these issues in your 1-2 season long Man U/Chelsea/Barca saves.

if im not wrong, i think there is already a thread of this and a million people compalining about similar things
I couldn't find it, so I posted here!

Here you go, on the very first page of threads...

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/24018-Wishlist-What-you-would-like-to-see-in-future-versions-of-the-game.-All-list-ideas-in-here./page62

to be fair, a ridiculous, unconstructive assertion like "no tactics work" deserves an equally unconstructive repost.

perhaps if this is how he feels he should read TT&F, a sticky in the tactics forum, or any number of Cleon's threads on the same forum about tactics

your problem is hardly a constructive comment to someones post, why not go the whole hog and just type "**** Off Loser" which is how you appear to come across.

Tactics aren't the most intuitive aspect of FM, either in the building of them, or in thier application to a specific match.

Pre-Match scout reports often give useless and/or incorrect information.

The AssMan provides no breakdown of the opposition playstyle during the match.

Players and Staff are too dependant on reputation alone. Club Finances, expected performance, current performance and a few other aspects of the club do not get taken into account, when they should.

The game has many minor flaws which build up and get worse the more seasons you play through.

Though I'm sure you never encounter these issues in your 1-2 season long Man U/Chelsea/Barca saves.

How as how I reply to somebodies anything to do with you? To be honest all the points he/she said were a load of crap. Tactics do work, you can win back to back games and you can keep hold of players you sign. 99.9% of players will tell you the same.

And yes, I do play as Man Utd because im a fan and my current save is 17 seasons in. Also ive had a save with FC United for 33 seasons and won the Champions League with them numerous times so to say something like your last statement was just idiotic. As I played a save for 33 seasons, I can tell you I still never experienced those problems. Im sure many people will tell you the same so where did you manage to pull that from.

Here you go, on the very first page of threads...

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/24018-Wishlist-What-you-would-like-to-see-in-future-versions-of-the-game.-All-list-ideas-in-here./page62

to be fair, a ridiculous, unconstructive assertion like "no tactics work" deserves an equally unconstructive repost.

perhaps if this is how he feels he should read TT&F, a sticky in the tactics forum, or any number of Cleon's threads on the same forum about tactics

Thankyou :thup:

The most important thing about penalty shoot-out other than penalty taking attribute is how player is doing in the particular game. Check the motivation tab in the match day info and if the player is playing with confidence or better then you are good to go if the player is playing nervously or even having a poor game then there is a high chance of missing regardless of his penalty taking attribute. The hidden big games attribute should also have say in shoot-outs.

Ofcourse at the end of the day it's just a game throwing dices, I've had a player with 20 penalty taking and 18 composure (Levan Mchedlidze, check him out btw) missing in multiple shoot-outs and when I signed Ballack after he was surplus to requirements at Chelsea he missed all his shoot-outs penalties (around 3 or 4).

I dont understand why the composure stat is important for penalties. Yes its important for a stiker when in a one on one situation so that along with finishing is important. There is an attribute for Penalty Taking, that alone should be the factor. If it was just down to somebody shooting at goal then what would be the need for the penalty taking attribute? You would just use finishing and composure and treat it as a one on one situation but the fact that penalty taking alone has its own attribute for that action, that should be the only one that plays a part.

If a goalkeeper has 20 for one on ones, is he more likely not to save if he has a low composure stat? I dont think it would. He has a attribute for one on ones to describe how good he is in that situation, this should include any other factors which may come into play but all rolled into one. A one on one is a one on one, a penalty is a penalty, If he has 20 for taking penalties then that should be that, even if he does have a composure stat of 1. The only other factor which should come into play is his moral at the time.

Well that's not my experience. Maybe you've had bad luck. In addition to what you're doing, think about the sequence of your penalty takers. I tend to pick the best ones first as if you pick the best one's last, the weaker ones are more likely to miss early on, rendering the skills of the later takers obsolete. Also try to avoid selecting players who are the most tired.

I don't know how deeply SI delve into these things, but this is a cracking little book for anyone who wants to learn more about penalty shoot outs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penalties-Yellow-Jersey-Shorts/dp/0224059947/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279727620&sr=8-1

The most important thing about penalty shoot-out other than penalty taking attribute is how player is doing in the particular game. Check the motivation tab in the match day info and if the player is playing with confidence or better then you are good to go if the player is playing nervously or even having a poor game then there is a high chance of missing regardless of his penalty taking attribute. The hidden big games attribute should also have say in shoot-outs.

Ofcourse at the end of the day it's just a game throwing dices, I've had a player with 20 penalty taking and 18 composure (Levan Mchedlidze, check him out btw) missing in multiple shoot-outs and when I signed Ballack after he was surplus to requirements at Chelsea he missed all his shoot-outs penalties (around 3 or 4).

Totally agree with the first paragraph. Agree to some extent with the second, but with the caveat that you can certainly, by careful selection and sequencing, load the dice in your favour.

I dont understand why the composure stat is important for penalties. Yes its important for a stiker when in a one on one situation so that along with finishing is important. There is an attribute for Penalty Taking, that alone should be the factor. If it was just down to somebody shooting at goal then what would be the need for the penalty taking attribute? You would just use finishing and composure and treat it as a one on one situation but the fact that penalty taking alone has its own attribute for that action, that should be the only one that plays a part.

If a goalkeeper has 20 for one on ones, is he more likely not to save if he has a low composure stat? I dont think it would. He has a attribute for one on ones to describe how good he is in that situation, this should include any other factors which may come into play but all rolled into one. A one on one is a one on one, a penalty is a penalty, If he has 20 for taking penalties then that should be that, even if he does have a composure stat of 1. The only other factor which should come into play is his moral at the time.

Penalty taking is a purely technical attribute. So, stick a player on the training pitch with a rating of 20, he'll stick 10/10 penalties in. Competitive sports, including football, are not just about technical ability, they're about mentality in competitive situations and under pressure. A player who can keep composed will make best use of his technical penalty taking skills. Technical, mental and for that matter physical attributes all work together.

Archived