PDA

View Full Version : Laptop gets very hot while playing FM 10

Padders
18-07-2010, 20:48
The following spec:

Dell Inspiron Intel Celeron 900 @ 2.20GHz

3GB Memory

Windows XP SP 3

Any of you guys got any ideas of how to cool the computer down while playing?

StevoRobbo
18-07-2010, 20:53
What is your laptop resting on? Make sure it has a lot of ventilation

jod123
18-07-2010, 20:56
Keep the vents clear. Run as little programs as possible at the same time. It is best to use a laptop on a hard surface as well rather than a bed for example.

Padders
18-07-2010, 20:57
Yeah I always make sure it's not covered up. It still gets very hot when it has good ventilation

StevoRobbo
18-07-2010, 20:58
have you got it connected to the mains when your battery is fully charged? This will make it overheat and also over charge your battery

TUF
18-07-2010, 20:59
Have you checked that inside the case the fan isn't choked in dust?

If it's been a year or more since you last checked it could be worth a try. :)

Padders
18-07-2010, 21:02
Some good advice, the laptop is just under a year old. Haven't looked inside at the fan to be honest. I do try to unplug the charger when its fully charged.

The Lambs
18-07-2010, 21:37
Laptops are notorious for overheating, mine started getting so hot it would shut down, so I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002PQSJ6O/ref=oss_product

Not had a problem since.

Shaka Sangoma
18-07-2010, 22:42
You should chock it up, put a book under it so it gets better ventilation, I do it and my laptop doesn't heat up very often

Brian Shanahan
19-07-2010, 00:14
Laptops are notorious for overheating, mine started getting so hot it would shut down, so I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002PQSJ6O/ref=oss_product

Not had a problem since.

My brother made up something similar for his College laptop, and it worked like a charm.

tom_numbers
19-07-2010, 13:16
How tech-savvy are you? I haven't tried it myself, but apparently under-volting can help reduce the temperature - though it may also break the laptop.

stornyboy80
23-07-2010, 18:38
my laptop crashes when playing FM WITHOUT charger in.
Even when fully charged up it crashes when i go to play a match day and completely shuts down.

But if I have the charger plugged in, regardless of battery life, it plays no probs.

any suggestions???

Lankylars
23-07-2010, 18:53
I second the dust comments - clean out the fan vents with some compressed air sprayers that you find at office supply stores. Two years ago I had the same problem - FM09 heated my laptop (Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz and 2gb RAM) to close to 90 C during play. I cleaned out the vents and the temps dropped to much more reasonable 75 C or so.

A fan under the laptop could help, or perhaps even having a fan blowing across the keyboard - the processor may be closer to the keys than the underside on your model.

Romeo Valentino
23-07-2010, 21:30
Dell laptops are known to have an over-heating issue and mine kept shutting down during FM even when on a laptop table when it is being fully used. The compressed air is a long term solution but i found that vacuum cleaning all the fan vents and fans worked too so i just do that every month and works fine now. Hope this helps.....

Trikstaa
23-07-2010, 23:49
A laptop is bound to get hot when your running a game with such a large database and the need for a great processor. I've bought a Mac and my Mac gets warm sometimes even hot. What i'd suggest is investing in a laptop cooler. Try not to buy too cheap of a one because they really ARE different. Thats pretty much all you can do unfortunately. I know many of these people suggest cleaning out the dust etc, but at the end of the day you're still going to have this issue.
Try monitoring your temperatures using a program called Core Temp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/), and your processor can go about 67-77C, but lets try and keep it around 50-60C as your playing this game because its a laptop.
If you need any help just let me know!

Just know, that if your computer is idle and you're still reaching those high temperatures of 60-70C, then you have a problem and will have to notify dell, and based on what Romeo Valentino has said, you're probably going to have too.

Smallen
23-07-2010, 23:57
That's a very useful program. Thanks Trikstaa

hugh111111
24-07-2010, 20:49
A laptop is bound to get hot when your running a game with such a large database and the need for a great processor. I've bought a Mac and my Mac gets warm sometimes even hot. What i'd suggest is investing in a laptop cooler. Try not to buy too cheap of a one because they really ARE different. Thats pretty much all you can do unfortunately. I know many of these people suggest cleaning out the dust etc, but at the end of the day you're still going to have this issue.
Try monitoring your temperatures using a program called Core Temp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/), and your processor can go about 67-77C, but lets try and keep it around 50-60C as your playing this game because its a laptop.
If you need any help just let me know!

Just know, that if your computer is idle and you're still reaching those high temperatures of 60-70C, then you have a problem and will have to notify dell, and based on what Romeo Valentino has said, you're probably going to have too.

really good application, thanks for sharing it

jameswibbs
24-07-2010, 20:54
i have a fan running in the air fent and it seems to do the job

Padders
24-07-2010, 21:56
Thanks everyone