New Laptop; So confused:

Hello all, yes it's another laptop thread.

Seen as I practically know nothing about what I'm looking I figured you guys could help out.

Basically I want a laptop that'll play the 3D game engine and a fair few leagues at a fairly decent speed, for example I normally load up about 24 leagues from 13 nations.

Budget is about £500-550, any help is much appreciated.

:thup:

I'm sure someone more savvy with actual knowledge of brands but some advice from me who knows hardware.

If you're after a laptop, get a decent one because if you go cheaper, you'll only be paying for upgrades or a whole new one sooner or later. Bear in mind that the new FM could require more requirements.

More than 3GB of Ram is my little input for you. I have 2GB of Ram and whilst it's okay to run, I'd like more. I'll be upgrading soon myself.

First question I'd ask is "do you need a laptop, for anything else?" if the answer is no then I'd tell you to buy a desktop, especially if you're running games off of it. They're easier to upgrade, don't get as hot (thus having a longer shelf-life), and tend to be better set-up for playing games. Laptops are work on the go computers.

As Stem said 3GB of RAM is a good idea, a decent graphics card (you're very unlikely to get a good one unless you're building yourself), a processor significantly higher than 2GB (which is the minimum requirement on Vista) and very good batteries (for if you're moving around).

I own a Toshiba A500-1GL laptop.

It has an Intel Core i3 CPU @ 2.13Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, nVidia 330m graphics with Win 7 64-bit. 1366x768 resolution.

It runs Football Manager fairly well. Full settings with regards match engine graphics and the game processes all but the most congested fixture lists in a reasonable time with over 25 leagues selected in 13 countries on a large database. Most people would probably want to run a few less leagues though but this game is copied over from my PC.

It will run most other games too on at least mid settings.

It cost me about £550 6 months ago.

It seems a lot of Laptops in the 15" variety have the 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5470 yet this falls in position 101 on that link above. However a 17" Laptop from Dell for about £670 has a Mobility Radeon HD 5650 which is in position 41!

However would either of them be good enough to run the 3D? Im getting a new laptop myself and would love to run all the nifty 3D effects. The thing is, I dont think I want a 17" laptop because the bigger it gets the worse it gets for being portable. So can anyone advise a 15" laptop with the Mobility Radeon HD 5650?

Archived