Match repensentation - How does it work?

I've seen over the past few months of coming to the forums that the that the match engine is just a repensentation of what is going on under the hood but is not a full interpertation of it.

Can someone please explain this to me as i'm kinda wondering now if that free kick that's been given or the corner thats just been taken or the yellow card thats been given has happened in (a) that point in the match and (b) what governs this to happen at any given moment.

Not sure if anyone can make head or tail of what i just said but it looks okay to me:)

an answer would be greatly appreciated

The match engine is the "under the hood" part that calculates everything.

Laid over that is the graphics part that turns the calculations into the commentary & pictures that we see. This can be either be just commentary, 2d or 3d.

Some of the things that we view I suspect are simply a poor representation of what the ME has calculated maybe partly due to a lack of animations in the 3d.

But is it because of a lack of animations. I would have thought that the same things happen if your in 2d or 3d so i would suggest animations don't figure into what we see on screen. I understand though that the graphics is run from the ME but just how correct is it, or is it a case of number crunching and it decides the next incident that is going to happen?

But is it because of a lack of animations. I would have thought that the same things happen if your in 2d or 3d so i would suggest animations don't figure into what we see on screen. I understand though that the graphics is run from the ME but just how correct is it, or is it a case of number crunching and it decides the next incident that is going to happen?

Well it would be the number crunching that determines the next course of action. Based on the outcome of the calculations, it then selects a series of animations that would best display this to the user. I would assume that is basically how it works.

The match engine is the "under the hood" part that calculates everything.

Laid over that is the graphics part that turns the calculations into the commentary & pictures that we see. This can be either be just commentary, 2d or 3d.

Some of the things that we view I suspect are simply a poor representation of what the ME has calculated maybe partly due to a lack of animations in the 3d.

Can you explain this to me. I don't know your background so let me just explain where I am coming from (just to clarify this isn't a 'look at me' post, it really is just me explaining my level of 'knowledge')

What seems like a lifetime ago ;) I did an engineering degree. In my final year I had a thesis to submit. Mine involved modelling a diesel combustion engine. This also involved some graphical images of what was happening in the engine in terms of temperature distributions etc. The underlying mathematical model would say the temperature at point (x, y) {2D} was value X, which was then fed into the 'display element' of the code which matched a colour to this value and displayed it. It did what the fundamental part of the code told it to do.

Now to translate that to FM consider one of the more consistent issues, namely players reacting to a ball. The player not reacting to the ball will be because for whatever reason the underlying model has not made said player 'aware' of the ball at that given moment. It won't be a graphical issue as if it were a graphical issue/glitch then the follow on from that moment would play out as if the underlying code did what it was supposed to do, in other words the player who ran 20 yards to get a ball which the 5 yard away defender seemed to ignore, would still not get it. You'd get a weird event graphically because of a graphical glitch but the underlying event would still play out how it was supposed to.

Just to reiterate here, I am just explaining where I am coming from. I'm not posting about my degree or what I did to make myself look intellectual or knowledgeable, or to talk down to you with respect to your explanation. So if what I posted is complete nonsense then say so and explain why, but please don't be condescending because you feel the need to put me in my place, as it where.

Archived