cant ditch the 4-4-2

in recent season's iv fallen a bit short of what i think my team should be achieving, I have desided to ditch my 4-4-2 and try a 4-2-3-1 benitez style formation. the problem i find with it is when pulling the FCd behind the main striker to create an AMC type player, ie, Gerrard Torres..

For what ever reason these two players just cant play in this system, there rating's drop an di cant get them to score.. when switching back to the 4-4-2 set up suddenly they both start playing out of there skin..

Any have any reason's why this may be.?

I'd advise a trip to the tactics forum mate.

Its never as simple as just moving the player back into the hole and keeping the same settings, I've had the same problem myself. Their duties may be key to this. The perceived wisdom is for the AMC to be on attack and the ST on support, however depending on the players you can sometimes get away with the exact opposite or even both on Attack. Of course some of this is also dependent on your other players and set up.

As chalky says it could also be an adjustment thing though.

I agree with what Edgar555 is saying.

I would add, from my own experience, that the perceived wisdom of the striker being "support" and the AMC being "attack" just doesn't hold. It doesn't always work and, conversely, I've had success with the roles the other way around. It depends on the opposition you're playing, the roles you use and the level of fluidity in your team.

I would start by putting Torres in an attack role, probably Advanced Forward, with Gerrard in a support Attacking Midfielder and see how you go from there.

Archived